Tire patch - Danger Will Robinson? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Tire patch - Danger Will Robinson?

Ok. I'm in Mexico. I just replaced my rear tire before coming down here,as I had a screw embedded in it and my dealer/repair guys said they wouldn't fix it due to liability issues. Meanwhile I punctured the new tire while riding off-road and on extended dirt roads yesterday. Fortunately I had the repair kit, (those sticky black shoe lace looking thingies and the appropriate tools). The patch seems to have worked well. It's been about 36 hours since I patched the tire and it hasn't lost any pressure whatsoever. I did however do some riding at pretty low pressure before I realized that I had a leak. I'm not keen on spending the money on a tire again.

My question is this: What are the safety issues with continuing to use the tire, and what is your opinion as to whether I should replace it or not? BTW: I tend to ride kind of fast on the highway. I couldn't get a tire where I was and am currently en route to Mazatlan in hope of getting one, (should I decide to replace it based on ya'lls advice). I'm traveling and may not be able to check in here for a day or so. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 AM

from the dunlop web site . I have never had a problem after patching a tire. But I would patch it from the inside when you get a chance.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info....asp?id=13#tip

Last edited by turn8a; 02-10-2010 at 08:41 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It'd be better with a patch-plug, but the tire has to be removed to install it... Meanwhile, I'd just go with your actual sticky cord. I had to add a second sticky cord in my car tire to properly seal it, but it hasn't needed a real patch-plug and it's still fine ~40000 miles later.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Rear wheel flats aren't as scary as front flats, so I would ride it out. These tires don't last long anyway.

My Album:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 AM

I've had several tires patched with no trouble, but you may have to D.I.Y........most shops won't do it due to liability issues.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I'm another "fix-it-and-ride-it-till-it's-worn-out" guy. I had a rear on my Bandit w/ several small leaks from glass, so I just checked pressure every day to see if it was losing air at a different, faster rate, and used it till it 'died'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM

I've patched my stock versys dunlop with the same type of patch. No issues. If you do it right, it holds pressure. You'll know in the first 24 hours. I was on a ride to Upstate NY and we patched and checked every day - pressure held until the tire was wore out.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM

I rode nearly 1500 miles with a plug is my rear. (Should probably clarify that it was in my rear TIRE!)

Each time I stopped I checked the tire pressure. I ended up replacing it after 1500 miles as I had more than than to get back home, some of it high speed in high temps.

If you have the cash and time to get it changed do it, if not, keep checking it and ride it home.

Machog

Last edited by Machog; 02-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM

My experience is similar to what Mac and others posted above. A good patch can go the life of the tire without losing any more pressure than the tire normally would. Granted, there is a risk that it will come out as the tire wears and the surface area the patch uses to adhere to the tire changes. I've never had a problem, but I can see that it could happen.

OTOH, you are not in Kansas (or even NM) anymore, and you should be glad for that. Just make your way to the nearest Desponchadora or Vulcanizadora (often abbreviated as Vulka) and ask them to patch your tire from the inside with a mushroom plug. If they don't have one, go elsewhere. It should cost no more than $10 (probably closer to $5) and it will have a patch that will not come out under any riding conditions.

It may not look like what you are used to in some smaller towns:

This one would be hard to miss:

But they all get the job done.

Buen viaje,
Gustavo

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM

+1 on the internal patch and scrap the gummy worm.
I used a gummy worm on mine to get me home 10 miles when I got a flat last summer and while I was having the new tire put on (the punctured one I still have and will patch and remount some day) I decided to see just how secure the gummy worm was. I gave it a little tug with my hand and out it came like a meth heads tooth.
The only thing holding them in a motorcycle radial is optimism.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM

First off let me say if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have much luck at all. I have had the V almost two years now and have had three sets of tires on it. I have also had Three plugs in the rear tires. I use the stop and go mushroom plug kit and I have rode the tire down to the wear bars on all three tires and not had any problems at all. As a matter of fact while having the last tire changed I looked at the old tire to see how the plug was holding up; Im curiuos like that. The plug looked like a suction cup on the inside of the tire. Could not pull it out. Never lost air other than normal. I have how to pics. on this forum on how they are installed; very easy to do and work great. Highly recommed can keep the kit under the seat with the tools.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM

An internal patch would work fine.
A submerged tire in water after the fix up will show telling bubbles.

Could use Ride-On the next time. If it doesn't, could go back to them with their product claim.

Enjoy your trip, Miguelito.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your opinions. I do love this forum! I couldn't find a tire in Mazatlan, so I'm riding it "as is". Perhaps later I'll connect with a supplier, but have made the decision to ride on for now. I'm checking it at least twice a day, and it's holding steady, so... Cool! Oh! Here's the bonus video of that day's ride when I got the flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmqNVijUf9E

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM

+1 for the Patch Plugs from the inside. I have used them a lot and never had a problem. If it is done right it will last forever. I have used tires like that on the track at over 150 MPH never had a problem and the tires are really getting hot.

If you use the sticky ropes with a little rubber cement that comes with most patch kits it will bond it to the rubber, and will last the life of the tire. I have had the sticky ropes come out before, make sure to use new ones and they must be clean, kept in sealed pkg.

Good luck,
Todd
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again to all who commented. On the ride south, the tire began losing air at a more rapid rate. I realized I was at or near the wear strips on y rear tire so I stopped in Acapulco and found a Yamaha shop that had a Avon Distanzia in the OEm size waiting for me. All is well, and the V got a new sneaker in the process.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tire patch, tire repair, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode