Did something stupid again. Need help. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did something stupid again. Need help.

Taking the bike apart to clean took front wheel off to clean everything. All went fine untill went to put the brakes on. Put the first one on fine and then hear comes the stupid. Went to make sure they are working good so pumped the brakes forgetting that the second brake is not on. Dont know if this is what caused the problem or not but the second brake was a b--ch to get on but I did get it on. Well the problem is that it is now rubbing on the side that was hard to get on. The pads are rubbing. I can turn the wheel with little effort but afraid the brakes will over heat. Can anyone tell me how to loosen the pads up so they are not rubbing. Looked in the manual and no help there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Pry the pads back so the rotor is free, then pump the brakes back up. Go for a ride, and the pads will self retract after a few stops

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Not sure,but...

I'm not sure if it will work on the Vee, but I've had the same problem when putting new pads on my truck in the past (yep, I did the same thing you did!) I used a C-clamp on the piston to push it back in. Don't know if you'll need the extra force on the Vee or not, but if they're stubborn, you might give it a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 AM

Slot in a big minus screwdriver in between the brake pads.
Pry it open slowly till you have enough space required for the rotor.
Put the caliper back on the rotor. Bolt the caliper back.

Slowly squeeze the front brakes till they bite. You're good to go.
You can do the above without bleeding the brake fluid system via the caliper nipple.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone I do appreciate it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Careful if you use a screwdriver to pry the pads apart. Don't want to gouge them. My friend Gary uses a wooden wedge, like an oversize door stop, for this purpose.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Agreed with what Bones mentioned.
Thinking about it the V rear suspension hook wrench could also be used to slowly pry the pads apart. Used it once before.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Might want to spray that piston with brake cleaner before you force it back in to avoid getting gritty dirt past the seal... Oh, this was yesterday? Eh, probably be alright...

2009 Aprilia Mana
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2001 Kawasaki W650
2005 Yamaha WR450F
1996 Gas Gas Pampera
1972 Benelli Mini Enduro (basement art)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm01 View Post
Might want to spray that piston with brake cleaner before you force it back in to avoid getting gritty dirt past the seal... Oh, this was yesterday? Eh, probably be alright...
Using some brake cleaner is my suggestion as well. It's probably some dirt that is impeding the piston from retracting in the first place. There should be no resistance to the piston retracting slowly back (when you try to force it it, you will feel resistance because of the amount of fluid you are forcing through small orifices but it should not resist slow movement). Caution: be careful with the brake cleaner, some formulations will strip paint.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode