air filter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
air filter

The Versys's engine soaks up almost 10000 litres of air /hour rather inefficient (thin) filter which on Service Manual is cleared infrequently, however, is established. In what here "secret"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Can anyone translate Russian?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
Can anyone translate Russian?
For certain!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
The Versys's engine soaks up almost 10000 litres of air /hour rather inefficient (thin) filter which on Service Manual is cleared infrequently, however, is established. In what here "secret"?
I think most of us english speakers are having a little trouble with your translation.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I think most of us english speakers are having a little trouble with your translation.
I am sorry for mine English. However, I will try once again.
1.The Versys's engine uses approximately 100000 litres of air /hour;
2.Approximately as much uses the usual car;
3.Versys air filter is essentially less effective (has the smaller area) than the car air filter;
4.It is served, it agree Service Manual, the Versys air filter is more rare and more difficult, than car air filter;
5.The place in the Versys's resonator is available;
6.Why so?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM

My car, actually both of them call for an air filter replacement at 50,000 miles, the Versys calls for a clean every 7500 and a NEW ONE every 2 years. My car uses surface area and paper to capture dirt, the Versys uses an oil based element to trap dirt...to answer a few of yours.

The comparison between a car air filter and the Versys is invalid IMHO, very differnt filters, different life span, etc. You are comparing the Versys to what sized car engine? A 3700cc V6 car engine running at 2500 RPM compared to a 650cc twin engine running at 5000 RPM? What are your static measurements to say the Versys uses as much air as a car, over which RPM and mileage range?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
My car, actually both of them call for an air filter replacement at 50,000 miles, the Versys calls for a clean every 7500 and a NEW ONE every 2 years. My car uses surface area and paper to capture dirt, the Versys uses an oil based element to trap dirt...to answer a few of yours.

The comparison between a car air filter and the Versys is invalid IMHO, very differnt filters, different life span, etc. You are comparing the Versys to what sized car engine? A 3700cc V6 car engine running at 2500 RPM compared to a 650cc twin engine running at 5000 RPM? What are your static measurements to say the Versys uses as much air as a car, over which RPM and mileage range?
1."air filter replacement at 50,000 miles"-At you excellent ecology! Even enviably! At us in St.-Petersburg in the winter of road strew technical salt.
Therefore the air filter stops the functions no more than through 5000 km (hardly more than 3000 miles)...Here so!
2."Versys uses an oil based element" -And You are not mistaken?
3. "A 3700cc V6 car engine running at 2500 RPM compared to a 650cc twin engine running at 5000 RPM?" -No. 1300cc V4 car engine running at 2500 RPM compared to a 650cc twin engine running at 10000 RPM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 AM

1. Perhaps it is less about me being enviromentally considerate and more to do with the quality of our products here? I see all the time at the oil change places that 99% of the people who okay a new air filter DO NOT need one. Just because a filter looks dirty doesn't mean its performance had degraded. Where I live,we have a long winter and use a lot of sand and salt on the roads. I changed my car air filter at 30,000 miles (NOT I AM SAYING MILES, NOT KMs) and hontestly it was still good.
2. No I am NOT mistaken, I am more than 100% positive of this.
3. You argument still does not work, you are comparing an engine twice the size running at 25% of the RPM.

Although I feel I am just feeding the troll here, I think it you are serious, you should go back and think about it a bit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 AM

it's a little off the topic, but the filter needs cleaning with a high flash solvant. Any suggestions as to brand or product???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM

A high flash point solvent means something that doesn't ignite too easily, so don't use gasoline for example. I think Kawasaki just doesn't want you to blow yourself up and then be sued by your survivors for giving you dangerous advice. Diesel or kerosene would work or you can buy a K&N cleaning kit (also made by other companies) which includes a spray-on cleaner and a suitable oil for recharging the filter.

I'm enjoying reading Alexander's posts and trying to figure out what he's trying to say. I admire the effort he's making. I share his curiosity about why certain elements of the bike are designed as they are, but also agree with Marc that the comparison to automotive air filters is misleading. Ultimately, no matter where you live, if you clean your filter regularly things should be fine. In fact, I see no reason to change the filter every 2 years unless it is damaged, just keep cleaning it. A new OEM filter is about $80 CDN.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM

I think what he is trying to say is- the air filter element is reverse gear handle bars.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Yes the original air filter is of lesser quality than an after market and will probably need cleaned more often with your air conditions than an after market. I would keep the original and just make a habit of checking it after so many miles to get a better idea of when YOU need to clean it, NOT when the manual recommends cleaning.
Each persons enviroment will dictate when they need to clean thier filter, don't go by the manual, it is a just a baseline to follow.
Hope this helps Alexander.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode