1 liter of oil came out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1 liter of oil came out

Hello all,

Changed the oil for the 2012 today for winter storage. Only one liter of oil came out, perhaps there was another .2-.3l in the filter, tops.

History: 1st owner

Last oil change about 6 months ago at 3500 miles mark. Changed the oil today at just under 8800 miles.

History of oil changes (filter was changed every time as well):

1st: 600 dealer (conventional); 2nd: 1800 (conventional) did it myself when storing for 2013-14 winter)

3rd: 3500 around May 2014 (first time putting in 1040 Castrol full syn) - So this oil had about 5300 miles on it.

Only the last couple of weeks have I noticed an oil pressure warning light - but this would only come on when I would make a sudden stop. It would then go away after a couple of seconds while at a stop light, etc.

The bike did see a lot of high highway speeds this season (a weekend blast out to NYC from Chicago in July, etc)

Very perplexed that a new bike would consume half of its capacity.

Any insight is greatly appreciated,

Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Whoah... You went 5,300 miles without looking at your oil level in the sight glass, and without changing the oil. It was likely starved of oil under braking, as the oil pickup point is at near the rear of oil pan. So it was missing about 0.7 liter out of... how much had you put in exactly upon last oil change? It consumed the oil under sustained high speeds and high rpm, over a lot of mileage, which is not that surprising.

A new engine does consume more oil until it's broken-in, and even more if it's not propely broken-in.

Last edited by invader; 11-09-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Whoah... You went 5,300 miles without looking at your oil level in the sight glass, and without changing the oil. It was likely starved of oil under braking, as the oil pickup point is at near the rear of oil pan. So it was missing about 0.7 liter out of... how much had you put in exactly upon last oil change? It consumed the oil under sustained high speeds and high rpm, over a lot of mileage, which is not that surprising.
Hi Invader,

That's what I suspected, more or less. Every oil change I've done has received 1.9 liters plus a little extra into the oil filter.

It's weird, because I do keep an eye out for the oil level in the sight glass. The 1.9-2l mark should basically get you to the minimum reading as I understand it. Towards the end of this cycle I could still notice it barely below the min mark so I wasn't really concerned.

But yea, your reaction of "whoaa" was basically my reaction this afternoon.

I think I'm gonna just change at 4kmiles from now on and during the depths of summer throw in 20/50.

Thanks for the reply,

Conrad

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM

You knew it was slightly below the low level, and you didn't add any... It should always be kept barely under the full level. It will show higher than what is really is if engine is still warm.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Never rely on a volume of oil to refill - you can overfill it!
Never put in the same amount of oil you take out - you might starve the engine with too little oil - as you have seen above 0.9L

Put the bike on level ground and use a paddock stand or other means to get the bike to stand straight up (chock the side stand - bike should have little to no lean).
Always drain the oil and remove the oil filter on a warm engine.
Go have a coffee or beer or cuddle with the misses for 30 minutes while it drips out.

Put on a new filter.
A) Then pour oil in about 500ml at a time. Let it settle for a minute and equalize inside as the sight glass can fill up faster then the engine can take the oil. Repeat A) until oil settles at the MAX oil level. Turn engine over and let it idle a bit to pump oil around and fill the oil filter. Turn off engine Wait 5 minutes, top up oil to MAX level in sight glass.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM

You should check the oil every fill-up at a minimum. I check it every time I ride. Takes about 10 seconds. Just balance the bike and squat down.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, everybody.

All the things you mentioned I've basically done in the past - when I only rode old 70's bikes.

I guess I naively presumed that having a "new bike" would allow me be a little bit more relaxed. Will revert to "old Conrad"

Thanks again,

Conrad
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 AM

Well, it's good to know that the oil pressure sensor caught it and gave you the warning right away... Newer motorcycle engines also hold less oil to start with than they used to.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Isn't it 2.4L when completely dry? 1.9 if you don't change the filter?
So you missed 1.2l. Damn! That's a lot!
You should have stopped riding as soon as the oil light went on.
I wouldn't ride more then 400miles between oil changes but then again I live just beside one of the cheapest stores for oil on Sweden. I use Q8 SPK racing oil. 8,8 USD/L
Sweet!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 AM

I haven't noticed any oil use between changes on my V. When I did my first oil change, I was surprised at how little oil is in this motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 AM

The oil capacity is stamped into the side of the engine, why should it be a surprise.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Wow....
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
...Towards the end of this cycle I could still notice it barely below the min mark so I wasn't really concerned....
IF I ever see my oil level AT the MINIMUM line, I get REALLY concerned...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
these motors are not known for any measurable oil use between changes, no matter the roads, speeds, temperatures, or service frequency (within reason), yet here are two reports in as many days of excessive oil loss, one case resulting in a blown motor.

discounting an oil leak of some kind, mainly because it would be very noticeable, the only other major variable that comes to mind is the oil itself. Brand, type, weight, and quantity.
Hi Jdrocks,

Right, I completely agree with you. Thanks for taking a scientific approach to my issue. I am suspecting the oil. After all, the owner's manual does state 3750 - 7500 is fine between oil changes, etc. And yes, no visible oil leaks, etc.

I'll stick with my current plan of switching out the oil (I bought a case of 6 quarts so i'll be using the same oil) this time around 4k mark and just take it from there.

- Conrad
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

JDRocks,

I agree but it's really for two reasons. 1: I still have four quarts of the stuff and want to get my money's worth and 2. I feel like if I try it again one more time with the oil (albeit for a smaller mileage interval) I'll be able to more properly determine that in fact it is the oil and not something else.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I'll stick with my current plan of switching out the oil (I bought a case of 6 quarts so i'll be using the same oil) this time around 4k mark and just take it from there.

- Conrad
4k miles is plenty long to leave the oil in. Depending on the oil you used, it's likely sheared out of grade by 2500 miles. It gets thin as it's used which will increase oil consumption.

Some oil consumption is not uncommon in these, or in most bikes, and it will increase when you run thin oil--as your oil becomes when you leave it in too long.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 AM

i change mine usually around 3125miles mark (5000kms for us Imperials)
by 1875 miles (3000kms) usually i would sight the line to see if it needed topup.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 AM

I'm amazed how long some ppl run there bike on the same oil.
The oil is one of the most important part to change if you want a motor that lives a long and good life! Its not like a car engine with 5l oil in it.
Its high revving and only 2.4l oil capacity. I wouldn't go over 1000-1200miles no matter what the book say.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
The oil capacity is stamped into the side of the engine, why should it be a surprise.
Ok, so it wasn't a surprise. It's just that it's the lowest oil capacity of the bikes I have. The BMW takes 5qt, Harley takes 4 qt, and my Triumph takes 3.5 qt.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Most Japanese bike seem to hold less. My KLR, ZX-10R both less than 3 qts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode