60kphs @ 3,000rpm Vibrations - not happy Jan! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
60kphs @ 3,000rpm Vibrations - not happy Jan!

Hi there... I was just asking if anyone has changed there drive sprockets on their Versys.... here in Adelaide we have 50kph speed limits on our side roads (main type roads are 60kph... and obviously we have higher speeds on the main roads ie: 80kphs 100kphs etc.) I find that the 50 or 60kphs - my 2008 Versys doesn't like that sort of low speeds @ 2,800 - 3,000rpms... has anyone change their gearing on there bike for the same reason.... I'm going to after the Christmas holidays see the local Kawasaki dealers and see if the ER650 Kawa sprockets (front and rear) will sort out my problem.... hopefully they will have different sprocket sizes than what I got now... any info would be very much appreciated thanks. Happy Cruising.... Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM

So you want to gear the Versys lower? Most, including me, that have changed gearing went the other way, taller to lower the rpms. Read the post "another 43 tooth fan" for more info.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas56 View Post
I find that the 50 or 60kphs - my 2008 Versys doesn't like that sort of low speeds @ 2,800 - 3,000rpms...
Andreas, the V doesn't like those rpms at any speed. You are basically lugging the engine.
I suggest you keep it in a lower gear to keep the revs around 4,000 to get it a little smoother, or around 5,000 to make it really happy and lively.

If I were you I wouldn't bother installing different gears, just choose different gears, appropriate for your speed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM

+1 what Pretbek said. Keep the engine smooth with low rpms plus playing with the clutch and gears.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 AM

Like they said...that is a bad RPM range! Just drop down a gear. Besides you want a little more throttle response just in case you need it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Downshift, downshift, downshift.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Happy Engine

Don't spend your money on something you can avoid real easy. Your engine is most happy at 4000 rpm's and above. Max torque is still 3000 above that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

re; Sprocket change v 3000 rpm revs...

Hi All again.... I do agree with the down shift (and have done so)... but it's a habit of going into top gear whilst idling along -
however though... the just wanted to let you know that I am getting a 16 tooth front sprocket with a 47 tooth rear... (my Versys run 15/48 - well here in Australia they do - not too sure what you guys in the other part of the world have - may you can let me know - I found out that the reason they run that combo is that because of our exhaust noise level laws - this keeps it right in the zone) according to Matt the fellow I'm dealing with that this will take that 3,000rpm range out of the 50/60kphs speed in 6th gear and will smooth out the vibration during that street speed zone.... I'm luck that I can get this at trade cost [re: daughter Sian works for the parent dealership who runs the Kawasaki side of it too] and happy to try this set-up... will let you all know how it goes and what it creates..... thanks for the replies too. Andreas
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Are you sure you have a 48 tooth rear? I believe it is a 46, and you want to change the front or rear but generally not both.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah... the model here in Australia run a 48 rear tooth... like I said that here in Oz it helps with the Decible rating via the exhausts and this keeps it all in check... I got the 16tooth on now and makes a huge difference at that 60kph speed - it has dropped the revs to 2,500 @ 60kphs... so abit more sedate to ride along - however @ 50kphs (around the side streets as is now by Law) you can only do this in 5th gear - 6th is too tall. My Bike is in the shop at the moment as it has a "hunting' problem where the throttle won't stay stable whilst doing 60 0r 80kphs... (they thinking it's the throttle responce sensor) hope the Dealrship sorts it out soon (under warranty) and I get it back by this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode