Advice Needed - lifting the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Advice Needed - lifting the Versys

I need to lift the rear of my Versys to remove a lowering link in the rear.

My plan is to use an automotive floor jack, with a piece of plywood between it and the muffler and basically balance the bike on it, the side stand and the front wheel. Note you cannot use a rear pit stand as you normally would to lift the rear as the swing arm needs to be unweighted.

Will this work without denting the muffler? Other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure of the balance point, but I would put jack stands under the front peg mounts and the rear peg mounts to keep things stable.

In my shop I use an overhead beam and heavy duty ratchet straps.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

My plan is to use an automotive floor jack, with a piece of plywood between it and the muffler and basically balance the bike on it, the side stand and the front wheel. Note you cannot use a rear pit stand as you normally would to lift the rear as the swing arm needs to be unweighted.

then I would use nylon straps and my engine hoist

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:

That's how I did it just used tie downs from the ceiling to the handlebars to balance the bike. No dents in muffler
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
That's how I did it just used tie downs from the ceiling to the handlebars to balance the bike. No dents in muffler
+1

Tie downs hooked to the rear racks and then to an anchor bolt in the garage ceiling.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you remove the silver piece of plastic above the foot pegs on both sides of the bike in the photo.There an hole that you can run a piece of heavy pipe or metal bar from to lift the bike.

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that I used a ATV jack with a piece of plywood and jacked up under the muffler to add my lowering thingy. I did have a spotter to make sure that I didn't dump it.

Last edited by kballowe; 11-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you remove the silver piece of plastic above the foot pegs on both sides of the bike in the photo.There an hole that you can run a piece of heavy pipe or metal bar from to lift the bike.

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

this ^

Worked for me, to grease the swingarm pivot.
Long pipe, jack stands, some risers for the jack stands.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:09 PM

How about this...

Just put your floor jack on top of the rear tire and lift up at a frame cross member. That is assuming you just need the weight off the rear shock.

That is how I removed my shock.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:12 PM

You said you were removing a lower link. (?)

What is a lower link on a Versys?

oh sorry... Lowering link. Got it.

Last edited by jmarleau; 11-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

How I did it was remove the seat and used some nylon webbing through the cross frame, then lifted with a cable hoist attached to a overhead beam. Not everyone has this, several other methods, whatevr you use needs to hold about 200LBS.Two step ladders with a 2X4 across the top of the seat. The pipe through the frame as described earlier, using saw horses and blocking. For what you are doing, it would take more time to set up than to remove link.
I know some people have jacked up under the muffler, that is the lowest point on the bike, it slips off, game over.

So I have a third really simple solution, bike on side stand, use a jack under the passenger footpeg ( footbrake side), if you need height, block up the bottom of the jack, if you have a piece of rubber, would be good to put between the jack and footpeg. This method puts about 75 LBS force on the footpeg / jack.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Garage
I put jack stands under the foot pegs. This unloaded the swing arm, and made it easy to add a lowering link. On motowerk's is the instructions for installing, just reverse the order. It has you remove the rear peg frame work to get easy access.
To get the jacks under the pegs, easiest method I found was putting 2x4's under the rear wheel stand, raise bike on stand , put jacks under peg. lower rear wheel stand. Now rear wheel should be off the ground. Put a board under wheel so it touches, unbolt link. re-assemble the rear. Use the board to adjust tire / swing arm connection.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Mikej this is exactly the info I need and why this forum is such a great resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode