balancing tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
balancing tires

hey guys,

i'm putting some new tires on, is it needed to get them spinned balanced from a proffesional tire store, or bike shop ?

i have a friend with a hand spin balancer, is that good enough ?

also, are there diferent types of weights that are best to use, like self stick, ect....

thx,
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM

IME, as long as the hand spin balancer has low enough friction and it is red (fastest color), it will be just as good as a professional balance... where a young punk who doesn't give a hoot will do it.
Stick-on weights are fine and convenient, though some people do not like them for the marks the adhesive may leave. Nothing a little Goo-Gone can't fix, I think.
Crimp-on weights work well too.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Ride-On in the tire ,eliminates the weights and balances the tire throughout its life. It also will seal a puncture.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

thx guys for your info.

i like to hear more about the balancing stuff that goes in the tires.
any cons to this stuff ?

dave
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Hi Dhauch,

Have used Dyna beads (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm) and Ride On (http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp).

Both are as good but the Ride On protects the tyres from punctures.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

i see you have to put 6 to 9 oz of Ride-On in the tires.

that seems like alot of extra weight...

dave

Last edited by dhauch; 02-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

tire balancing

i have been mounting my own tires for years. i started balancing them with a home made balancer. about 10 tires ago i tried not balancing them. and have not had any balance problems with any of the different brands that i have mounted since. i bought a new bike that had a little out of balance feel at about 40 mph. i marked the spokes and removed two very large weights on the front wheel. no difference up to 100 mph. just my thoughts.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Ride-On in the tire ,eliminates the weights and balances the tire throughout its life. It also will seal a puncture.
Does anyone have the length of time it lasts? I used a similar product on my mountain bicycle, but got tired of having to break the tire down every 3 months to add more. It dries out.

My Album:
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisabiker View Post
i have been mounting my own tires for years. i started balancing them with a home made balancer. about 10 tires ago i tried not balancing them. and have not had any balance problems with any of the different brands that i have mounted since. i bought a new bike that had a little out of balance feel at about 40 mph. i marked the spokes and removed two very large weights on the front wheel. no difference up to 100 mph. just my thoughts.
Glad to see this comment. I thought I was the only one out there that has stopped balancing tires. Like you, I've had no problems.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Rub

I've never had good luck with shop balancing. I used to own a Marc Parnes balancer and was extremely happy with it. Easy to use, very well built.
I have also used Dyna Beads and have been very happy with them as well.

I haven't been as lucky as the poster above, and both methods I used made a huge difference.

Rub

Last edited by Rub; 02-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I replace my tires without special tools and balance them perfectly by hand. With the original weighs off, I just rotate the greased axle in the wheel lightly back and forth to get the heavy spot at the bottom, then add just enough weigh by trial on the opposide side to cancel it out. I can then find the slightest additional out of balance spot and adjust it as well.
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 AM

Here's a pic of the Ride On when changed the tyre.
There was 100% no Ride on stuck inside the rim.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:17 AM

Needed to add, it is still thick liquid like. It still flows around.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 AM

You can reuse Ride-on when you change tires. I have reused it on one bike 5-6 times already. Never had a problem.If I change a tube tire with Ride-On in it, I will save the tube to put the Ride-On in a tubless tire later.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

i like the idea of the puncture resistance of the Ride-on, but that is the last place i would want to add weight to my bike.

i'm guessing you couldn't tell any differnce after you added it, but it does effect things, especially out at the end of a spinning object.

Last edited by dhauch; 02-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM

If you look on other forums, like sport-touring.net, you'll find links that state the dynabeads are bogus...same with the liquids. Do what you gotta do.
My pref is to balance the wheel with the tire off, then rebalance it with the tire mounted, not touching the permanent wheel weights, only adding for the tire. I find this uses the least amt. of weight and gives a nice balance. Dynamic balancing is the best, but I'm a home mounter and too lazy to drive to a shop.
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Dyna Beads!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Rub

Funny how all the reports I've read of Dyna Beads being a rip off, bogus or 'snake oil' have been written by people who have never used them.

Rub
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM

I just changed a tire on a V-Max that had 9 oz. of weights on it, so i don't think 6 to 9 oz. of ride on will make any diference. Everyone I have changed tires for, and its near a hundred, say the tires feel better then any shop has ever done with weights. Guess it's like oil changes your going to do what you used to anyway.

post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM

I don't believe in putting gorp in tires, and none of the race teams, auto companies or tire manufacturers do, either. I have a Coats bubble balancer, and I can balance a wheel in about 10 minutes, and it's more accurate, quicker and cheaper than beads or gorp.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode