Oil filter list - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Oil filter list

here's a list of oil filter's by a Suzuki rider (hey I have one too)...

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles...520exposed.pdf

take your pick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed...

If you click on the oil filter's name in the index, it will bring you straight to the page!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using the same filter since 2010 on 2 separate bikes still on the same O-Ring....Its fits the Versys & FJR..

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0122 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 AM

Q: What is the main reason guys run aftermarket oil filters vs. OEM? Are they trying to save a few $$ or are they trying to get better quality?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can't get better filtering capacity than with an OEM oil filter... It's usually to save a few bucks, beside choice and availability.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM

For me its easy availability. I can order a filter online, wait for it to ship. I can drive to the kawi dealer, order a filter, wait for it to ship, drive there again and get it, or I can drive to wal-mart and pick up an appropriate filter and be done in 10 minutes.

I would also argue the statement that you cannot get better filtering than the OEM filter. Those are often just rebranded filters that are generally available, its not like some amazing extra amount of engineering went into them because they're OEM. If Kawi is like the other Japanese brands, the OEM filter is a rebranded Denso filter, and is on par with most other stuff out there.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Kawasaki OEM oil filter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Here are some of the pictures taken after the dissect of the original Kawasaki Filter in Malaysia. Filter is courtesy of a 2009 Versys, after 10k km of usage. I had one Hack of a time hacking away with the hack saw to get to this point. Will check the breakage force on the spiral spring soon.

Picture shows the major components of the filter. 8-holed inlets bottom plate, relief valve on the filtering media assembly, and blue flexible rubber anti-drainback valve. UPDATED: Hole diameter is 5mm.

Close up shot on the relief valve, showing a spiral type spring. UPDATED: Relief Valve is 18 PSI.

The other end of the filter, showing how the relief valve looks like from the other side.

View on the inner side of the media with rectangular holes. The substrate is plastic with bubble-stone filtering media attached to it. No End Caps on these filters. The bubble stone media is hard as a bubble stone used in aquariums.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

Garage
For auto filters, it is easy to see what model in a brand will fit the V. My truck (08' Honda Ridgeline) and V use the same filters. Since they don't list bikes in the auto section I look up the truck.

My mower uses the same filter as a Prius...

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
For auto filters, it is easy to see what model in a brand will fit the V. My truck (08' Honda Ridgeline) and V use the same filters. Since they don't list bikes in the auto section I look up the truck.

My mower uses the same filter as a Prius...
Your mower is a Japanese hybrid??

Wait. I just realized you can buy one filter and switch it back and forth between your mower and car! Very clever.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 11-04-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Your mower is a Japanese hybrid??

Wait. I just realized you can buy one filter and switch it back and forth between your mower and car! Very clever.
When I need to change the oil in the mower, I just find a parked prius and "borrow" its oil filter.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Purlolator L14612.

Fits our Gold Wing, FJR, Versys, VTX1300, riding lawnmower, and darned-near every other Japanese motorcycle out there. Probably not Suzuki..... I think they have a different thread pitch.

WalMart sells them for $3.27 or you can get them at the auto parts store for $5.25
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's a motorcycle oil filter cross reference that's been around a long time,
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Purlolator L14612.

Fits our Gold Wing, FJR, Versys, VTX1300, riding lawnmower, and darned-near every other Japanese motorcycle out there. Probably not Suzuki..... I think they have a different thread pitch.

WalMart sells them for $3.27 or you can get them at the auto parts store for $5.25
Thats what im rockin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode