HELP Headlight unit how to completely remove? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation HELP Headlight unit how to completely remove?

I search the whole forum for how to completely remove the headlight unit, in that way I can Install a xenon kit,

I am stuck at the point where the black front fairings around the headlight, which I can not remove!?!?

I dont see any more screws...

I already removed both the side fairings and windscreen, please help

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

OMG I searched all over google, nobody knows how to remove it??
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 05:13 PM

Garage
Its a sealed unit. Search forum. Some one did a post with pics on adding HID projectors to the headlight unit. Lots of work to add HIDs correctly.

To remove the unit from bike, there are 2 nuts at bottom of headlight assembly, and 2 bolts at top on either side. Same size. Then 2 connectors for city lights, 2 connectors for headlights.

Last edited by mikej; 10-31-2014 at 05:17 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Garage
Headlight Cover Removal
• Remove:
Screws [A]
• Clear the hook portions [B].

•Remove:
Mounting Bolts [A]
Mounting Nuts [B]

•Disconnect the headlight connectors [A] and city light connector
[B].
•Remove the headlight assy.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 PM
RMS

on my 09 V, the black plastic around the speedo has little push pin`s holding it on.
which i messed up the little pin`s when removeing them, then the cover just pop`s off
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
something like that?

Dual projector, bi-xenon Versys

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I had finally resolved it.

BUT as you can see in at the picture, that the fitting for the original lamp to hold it in place is NEEDED it hold it firm and secure.

without the Xenon lamp to wubble.......

So this Xenon kit doesn't sadly work for the 2010+ versys....

Is there any one who got the right Xenon kit which holds the lamp good in place?

I really would like a HID kit that works actually..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamp Xenon.jpg (43.3 KB, 250 views)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Any H7 globe should fit the headlight.
the Black Plastic bit you are holding is an adapter from H7 pin to The the bike harness... the pin width on the bike harness is wider (so I'm told), so you cannot just connect the bike harness to the back of H7 globe.
The adapter also is used to seal the headlight with the rubber boot. No adapter no seal.
I looked at my globes once before, the adapter is not used to hold the globe in place - you need to use he H7 spring wire clip.
Then you need a way to seal the HID wires out through the rubber dust boot.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Any H7 globe should fit the headlight.
the Black Plastic bit you are holding is an adapter from H7 pin to The the bike harness... the pin width on the bike harness is wider (so I'm told), so you cannot just connect the bike harness to the back of H7 globe.
The adapter also is used to seal the headlight with the rubber boot. No adapter no seal.
I looked at my globes once before, the adapter is not used to hold the globe in place - you need to use he H7 spring wire clip.
Then you need a way to seal the HID wires out through the rubber dust boot.
Thank you for your reply, So what you are saying is correct, the adapter and the rubber boot holds it into place.

Did anybody tried this before? to make it fit
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM

nope - went LED instead
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
nope - went LED instead
LED? that special LED with a cooler on the back? which costs 50$?

Well I have this kit ready to be installed, so I would like to make use of it.

Hope somebody will share there thoughts just like Giggitt did.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg-Ram View Post
Thank you for your reply, So what you are saying is correct, the adapter and the rubber boot holds it into place.

Did anybody tried this before? to make it fit

No.
The wire clip holds the globe in place in the headlight. If you do not use the adapters and the rubber dust cover your headlight just collects dust and that goes over the reflector and lens.

The dust cover and adapter do not hold the globe in place. They might help but are definitely not needed.

I have H7 HIDS in my car and all that holdss the globe in place is the little wire clip at the back.

If your globe is not fitting or is loose the the reflector housing and not held in place correctly you need to make adjustments to the wire clip.

I waiting for my cyclops LEDs to arrive. After telling you guys about them I finally coffed up the $$$ to ship down under.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I got my Cyclops LEDs this morning.. I just went out to have a look at the Mk2 Versys headlights.

So. I reached behind the headlight and pulled the wire connector off the back - This connector is a H4 connector.
I then pulled the rubber boot off - It does NOT support the globe.
I then noticed that the bulb retaining clip has to be undone and the adapter and bulb removed as one unit. The clip pushed the back of the adapter which is like 10mm behind the back of the globe. You can pull the globe off the adapter but you cannot use it with HID or Cyclops LED globes.
So the Mk2 V headlight does not use the same globe clip method as cars do - that is clip holds back of globe.

Now to give you an answer to holding the HID globe... the V headlight needs a modified clip to push onto the back of the H7 globe OR a spacer bushing and you use the original clip.
With my Cyclops LED globes I need to make a modified clip - as I have seen in done in another thread this morning:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=67330

Last edited by Gigitt; 11-06-2014 at 05:01 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I got my Cyclops LEDs this morning.. I just went out to have a look at the Mk2 Versys headlights.

So. I reached behind the headlight and pulled the wire connector off the back - This connector is a H4 connector.
I then pulled the rubber boot off - It does NOT support the globe.
I then noticed that the bulb retaining clip has to be undone and the adapter and bulb removed as one unit. The clip pushed the back of the adapter which is like 10mm behind the back of the globe. You can pull the globe off the adapter but you cannot use it with HID or Cyclops LED globes.
So the Mk2 V headlight does not use the same globe clip method as cars do - that is clip holds back of globe.

Now to give you an answer to holding the HID globe... the V headlight needs a modified clip to push onto the back of the H7 globe OR a spacer bushing and you use the original clip.
With my Cyclops LED globes I need to make a modified clip - as I have seen in done in another thread this morning:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=67330
Aha! Thanks Gigitt, so a modified clip it is! I will read the thread about it.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I fitted the Xenon, but it doesnt work!, I replaced the Fuse which says ''Head'' on the fusebox for a 20A instead of a 15A.
But the Xenon comes on slightly 1 second and shuts off!, normal bulb work, and the LED parkinglight also.

Why doesnt it stay on?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg-Ram View Post
I fitted the Xenon, but it doesnt work!, I replaced the Fuse which says ''Head'' on the fusebox for a 20A instead of a 15A.
But the Xenon comes on slightly 1 second and shuts off!, normal bulb work, and the LED parkinglight also.

Why doesnt it stay on?
Xenon bulbs have many classifications, many fall into HID, high intensity discharge, or arc lamp. In cases of arc lamps you need a ballast, this is now old technology since the Led bulb has been refined.

As to halogen lamps, no need to change the fuse size, and in all honesty, a waste of money buying anything but Oshram. I have been running the 65 watt for 5 years, first bulb failure last year, got 2 new bulbs for $20 total including free shipping.
Next modification will probably be a Cyclops LED bulb to reduce power draw, just hard to justify when I have 500 hour lamp life bulbs that put out around 2000 candle power, compared to 2200 for the cyclops at 5 times the price, and not a direct change out.

As to your problem, sounds like a bad bulb, if you have a ohm meter, measure the resistance of the Xenon bulb and also the OEM bulb, both should measure around 0.5 ohms, if you have REL on your meter, short out leads and press this button, this removes the value of resitance of your leads, then measure bulb, with REL equiped meters it should measure around 0.2 ohms.

Correction, follow Gigitt posting below, my thought process was still in the halogen lamp not arc lamp.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-16-2016 at 11:36 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Xenon bulbs have many classifications, many fall into HID, high intensity discharge, or arc lamp. In cases of arc lamps you need a ballast, this is now old technology since the Led bulb has been refined.
No need to change the fuse size, and in all honesty, a waste of money buying anything but Oshram. I have been running the 65 watt for 5 years, first bulb failure last year, got 2 new bulbs for $20 total including free shipping.
Next modification will probably be a Cyclops LED bulb to reduce power draw, just hard to justify when I have 500 hour lamp life bulbs that put out around 2000 candle power, compared to 2200 for the cyclops at 5 times the price, and not a direct change out.
As to your problem, sounds like a bad bulb, if you have a ohm meter, measure the resistance of the Xenon bulb and also the OEM bulb, both should measure around 0.5 ohms, if you have REL on your meter, short out leads and press this button, this removes the value of resitance of your leads, then measure bulb, with REL equiped meters it should measure around 0.2 ohms.
Sounds like the igniter or ballast is faulty - a very common problem with aftermarket HID kits.

You cannot 'test' a xenon or HID bulb... it is an ARC bulb not a filament, in otherwords it is an open circuit. Xenon HID work by high frequency arc like welding producing the light. salts and crystals in the bulb help and produce correct arc colour.

If you are having Xenon/HID issues swap bulbs. same side still has issues then it it the ballast or igniter that is is the issue.

I have always bench tested my HID kits before installing them to make sure they work. Nothing worse than modding and installing faulty lights then having to undo the mods so you can use halogen till they are replaced.

Even my house mate had a faulty HID kit installed in his car from the dealer... it wasn't till he told me what he's bought and done and tried to show me at night what they look like that I picked up the faulty light... so much for the installer testing them!
Got it fixed... but still.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
HID Lamp / bulb

You are absolutely right, I should have clarified the testing for a quartz halogen or tungsten filament, HID are rapidly going the way of tungsten bulbs. Went from mercury to metal halide to high and low pressure sodium, now it it T5 and led fixtures.

There has been much discussion on other threads and our bikes just weren't made for a direct swap to hid. I will correct my post, although I think you will be seeing less and less postings in reference to HID and ballasts. One thing I always suggested, take a working ballast and test all your lamps in it, allow a full cycle, and allow at least 5 minutes at full brilliance.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Personally, HID in Motor cycles are going the way of the dodo.
Too Big, not instant on for Highs /Flash to pass, higher failure rate due to delicate bulb

LED is the way to go.

Thats what I did... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=cyclops+led
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode