Oil change interval with synthetic oil? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Oil change interval with synthetic oil?

So, I'm riding around here in Mexico, and will be here for a while. I changed my oil just before departing the US, and am wondering how long I can wait to do another oil change with the synthetic oil without risking excessive wear on the engine. Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM

Based only on my experience with motorcycles OTHER than the Versys you might feel less slick shifting after 5,000 miles and you can safely go 8,000 miles before you need to start thinking about changing your oil.

Even then, if you haven't pushed too hard, methinks you could push it a bit further without doing serious damage to the engine.

More important in preventing damage is making sure you have enough oil in the bike.

Oh, and the owners manual says to change it every 7,500 to 9,000 miles (the table with time/miles whichever comes first interval is a bit irregular).

Last edited by Pretbek; 01-29-2010 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. I've been perhaps a bit anal about changing my oil. doing it very 3-4k miles even with the synthetic. (I did it every 2500 miles with regular oil). Thanks for your input pretbeck.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Hi Miguelito,

Wish you good rides in Mexico.

Have been changing using synthetic oil every 6000 km. It look/feels good when drained. It would be a good investment to do an oil lab analysis to confirm one's findings.
IMHO, mineral oil is 90% as just as good but have changed it every 3000 km.
1.7-1.9 liter oil is not much on the V. A good brand oil is good choice.

I say,
New oil is better than dirty oil,
Dirty oil is better than no oil.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 01-29-2010 at 09:22 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Versys seems to wear out oil sooner than many other bikes I own in the past... May be because it only takes a littler over 2 quart... May be not... You notice how dirty the oil look when you drain it?

If the manual say 7500 miles, I think it's okay... But I am changing mine around 5000 miles or so with synthetic... I might change it at 2500 now that I am only using dino oil...

When it come to oil change, everyone has their own opinion... Do what you think is right for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:29 AM

Hi Michael - It goes without saying that 7500 should be safe for the bike, even if you are using mineral oil, since that's what Kawasaki recommends. With synthetic, you should be able to extend that interval even further. Also, assuming that you spend most of those miles touring (as opposed to stuck in city traffic idling), that's the easiest engine life possible, long periods of running at temp, not over heating and few starts/stops per mile covered. As Pretbek said, keep an eye on the level. If you happen to see it goes low, make sure to top it off.

So where are you riding this time?

Buen viaje,

Gustavo

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Versys seems to wear out oil sooner than many other bikes I own in the past... May be because it only takes a littler over 2 quart... May be not... You notice how dirty the oil look when you drain it?
The oil capacity is low, but don't confuse dirty oil with worn oil. The two are not related. Dirty oil means the oil is doing its job - keeping particulate suspended - it doesn't mean it's not lubricating appropriately.

Gustavo

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM

I use only Amsoil, and change it every 4,000 miles. While I agree you can extend the change interval beyond that, but I like to keep an eye on the oil to see the amount of metal shavings that are suspended. An oil analysis will really help you, but make sure your engine is fully broken before you mail your sample in. My bike (Ducati Multistrada 620) takes about 5,000 miles for the clutch to be fully broken in. Until the 5,000 mile point, I was changing oil every 2,000 miles to make sure all of the clutch material was removed on a regular basis.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for commenting. I feel better about extending my oil changes beyond where I normally would do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Hi Miguelito,

Wish you good rides in Mexico.

I say,
New oil is better than dirty oil,
Dirty oil is better than no oil.

Thanks stlee and Amen to that amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post

So where are you riding this time?

Buen viaje,

Gustavo
Thanks mate. I'm still figuring that out Gustavo. I'm thinking of heading down to Oaxaca/Chiapas after and I rendezvous in Alamos where we're exploring an idea we have for a TV show about Americans living abroad. I've got an ongoing trip report at ADVrider, so stop by over there and say hello! Cheers to all and thanks again!

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM

I use Amsoil in my V, since the motor only holds roughly two quarts, while on a long trip like yours i would just change the filter every 3000 mi. or so but not the oil..remember...each time you change the filter you lose some, so by just topping off the oil you in a sense will have change it completley after about 12K give or take..the filter is the key to keeping the motor alive
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM

For some years now I have used fully synthetic at the full recommended manufacturers interval. Before then I always changed my normal oil at 2/3rds of recco interval.
It was noticeable how much cleaner the synthetic looked even at that longer interval, and how much less sludge remained in the drain-out tray after letting the oil drain off it.
Ted.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have been using full synthetic in the V since I drained the break in oil. Change it every 5,000 miles and I am sure I could go nearly double that as the oil always looks pretty good when it's drained.

On my 2003 Z1000 I used a half synthetic blend and would change that every 3,000 miles and I kept the bike for 33,000 and it ran as well on the last day as the day I bought it. You shouldn't have any issues at all with a full synthetic oil. Enjoy the ride!

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM

My manual says the next change after the 7500 is 15000. No way I will do that!

My Album:
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
My manual says the next change after the 7500 is 15000. No way I will do that!
Why not? If an oil analysis confirms this interval is good to prevent premature wear and damage, why do you think it's not adequate?

Gustavo

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Why not? If an oil analysis confirms this interval is good to prevent premature wear and damage, why do you think it's not adequate?

Gustavo
My guess? Stition. Or perhaps great stition. No, no, I'm sure it's SUPERstition.

Jiffy Lube and other conspirators have rammed it so deeply into our culture that oil must be changed every 3000 miles (regardless of what the manufacturers say will keep their own vehicles within warranty), it is hard to get rid of that idea.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
My guess? Stition. Or perhaps great stition. No, no, I'm sure it's SUPERstition.

Jiffy Lube and other conspirators have rammed it so deeply into our culture that oil must be changed every 3000 miles (regardless of what the manufacturers say will keep their own vehicles within warranty), it is hard to get rid of that idea.
You've probably got that right. Thanks to all for your 2˘.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM

It someone who has done their own oil lab analysis would share their findings, that would be SUPER.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I change my Mobil1 15w-50 (CAR oil) and filter at 5,000 miles. YRMV!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM

My oil change depends on my riding.I did a 500 mile day with some high rpm's,changed when I got home(ease my mind). I have used Castrol 10-40 in all my motorcyles,cars,lawn mowers etc. No problems. Oil filter,walmart fram 6017a. Got 15000mi on my versys so far. Rain,sleet or snow...I'm riding. 30+ yrs of riding and still love it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Where i live in northern MN, the temperature differentials on any given day can be HUGE. This leads to condensation, ergo moisture in the oil. I dont care if its the cheepest car oil or gold encrusted synthetic race oil squeezed by the hands of virgins, if its full of water, its trash. Up here i will never go longer than 3k on my bike oil. I dont plan on running synthetic on any of my water cooled bykes, doesn't seem necessary. Like the man said, CLEAN oil is the best oil.

I also beleive that car oil is not an option as its additives effect the clutch, and it whips into foam because it is not designed to lubricate constant mesh trannys. IMHO..let the hatin begin ; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oil change, oil change interval

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode