is a 2013 versys prewired for an outlet? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
is a 2013 versys prewired for an outlet?

been looking around at various threads and I can't seem to find a straight answer in any of them so I'll go ahead and ask here. is my 2013 versys prewired for a 12 outlet? my plan is to flush mount a 12 outlet in the convenient flat plastic panel on either side of the gauge cluster, also planning on relocating the switch for my heated grips to the same panel. the dumbass who installed the heated grips before I bought the bike mounted the switch for the grips down on some of the body work, barely accessible when I'm riding. anyhow, any information is appreciated. I couldn't find an answer in the manual nor could I find an answer in some of the threads pertaining to 12v outlets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 PM

behind the left body panel there are two bullet connectors (2 live and 2 ground) switched accessory leads but they are only on a 5 amp fuse so good for a GPS, etc. You can see them if you look up behind the panel from underneath on the left side hanging down by the radiator.

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
behind the left body panel there are two bullet connectors (2 live and 2 ground) switched accessory leads but they are only on a 5 amp fuse so good for a GPS, etc. You can see them if you look up behind the panel from underneath on the left side hanging down by the radiator.
thanks for the info, my guess is that one set is already being taken up by the heated grips, it would also probably explain why the switch for the grips is mounted where it is, low and on the left side. a 5a fuse should be fine, all it's going to be powering is either a GPS or a charger for my phone.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 AM

it is pre wired --but you have to put a relay in the circuit to finalize the use your looking for. look up the kawasaki kit and it will show the relay number. the relay is one that is used on many models for other purposes. got one off ebay(ie salvage) for $5 instead of buying the whole kit
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmck49 View Post
it is pre wired --but you have to put a relay in the circuit to finalize the use your looking for. look up the kawasaki kit and it will show the relay number. the relay is one that is used on many models for other purposes. got one off ebay(ie salvage) for $5 instead of buying the whole kit
those two accessory leads are already on a relay. I checked and saw the relay in the wiring diagram.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
is the 08 pre wired too?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM

It's pretty easy to wire in a 12V outlet. There are threads here...somewhere...that have how-to's. I didn't wire in a relay to mine. I think I pretty much just spliced on some blade connectors to the outlet and connected it to a little receptacle thing under/below the left fairing that has switched power so that the outlet is only on when the key is on.

How's that for some good non-specific language and a run-on sentence...(I'm a speech and language pathologist, I ought to know better...)

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info guys, as for a 12v outlet that's going to be flush mounted what would would you guys recommend? and am I understanding this right, there's 2 outlets? one is probably already taken up by the heated grips and the other should be free?

Last edited by frozenhawaiian; 10-29-2014 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 PM

I got a couple at a marine store Seadog brand I believe, not too expensive and a rubber plug for waterproofness.

2013 Versys1000
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:39 PM

Garage
To the FrozenHawaiian, Search for user capn Kirk, and 12v outlet. He has a good post with parts and pictures for putting one on the left side connector.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Here's a link to the write up I did when I did my outlet.

Notice it's NO MOD! I didn't want to chop up a new bike so found the parts, listed them with part numbers, to make it a bolt up, plug in at less than half the cost of a straight up Kawasaki set up. Ans my bike STILL hasn't burned up!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20404

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

ok, so I found the relay on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-99994-0195-Relay-Kit/dp/B007A199DQ
and I'm using this outlet since I'm gonna flush mount it on the flat plastic area to the left of the console.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00791W8BW/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JHFA8958HW5J
that should be all I need as I understand it
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 PM

After you install the relay and power outlet you'll notice that there are 2 leftover connectors, those are for the OEM heated grip kit: 99994-0193
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
been looking around at various threads and I can't seem to find a straight answer in any of them so I'll go ahead and ask here. is my 2013 versys prewired for a 12 outlet? my plan is to flush mount a 12 outlet in the convenient flat plastic panel on either side of the gauge cluster, also planning on relocating the switch for my heated grips to the same panel. the dumbass who installed the heated grips before I bought the bike mounted the switch for the grips down on some of the body work, barely accessible when I'm riding. anyhow, any information is appreciated. I couldn't find an answer in the manual nor could I find an answer in some of the threads pertaining to 12v outlets.
I wired in a flush mounted 12v dash socket for a ~$10 cost to provide a power source for my GPS and phone.
12v Dash Socket
12v Inline Blade Fuse

Last edited by twowheels; 11-13-2014 at 11:33 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I wired in a flush mounted 12v dash socket for a ~$10 cost to provide a power source for my GPS and phone.
12v Dash Socket
12v Inline Blade Fuse
I used that same acc port from amazon on the left side http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZW5QAG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and use this on the right ride (the square base is detachable) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRJH8CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode