Air filter breaking apart - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air filter breaking apart

I haven't been riding the Versys that much lately. It finally rolled over 30K, so I went on with the usual maintenance. When I took out the air filter to get it cleaned and re-oiled I found out the foam is falling apart. If it had been captive between two mesh sections, it wouldn't have been an issue, but since it has mesh only on the downstream side if it had been there a bit longer I would have ended with no filtering in some parts.

Seemed OK last time I cleaned it. Maybe it's just heat/aging. In any case, I recommend you handle the cleaning of the foam element with care if you are on the 3rd or 4th service and up. New filter assembly from Ron Ayers was ~$40 (shipped).

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:00 PM

its possible that some oils could start to break down the foam too.

this is a job i really need to do.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You only need to replace the air filter element. Available for $10 shipped to USA.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...br=1&_zpclkd=1

Last edited by invader; 10-25-2014 at 08:21 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:28 AM

Garage
What were you cleaning it with?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 AM

It's a replacement item according to my Owner's Manual: Replace at 2 year intervals. I replaced mine.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 AM

I've seen this happen in other bikes with foam filters. It is a function of age. After a few years the foam just disintergrates.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I know you can buy just the element, but as David mentioned, it's not designed to be in service longer than 2 years. The gaskets around the housing weren't looking fresh either, so I decided it was time to get a complete assembly, which is why it was $40.

I use NoToil cleaner and oil. Has worked well on numerous dirt bikes and the Versys for many years. I don't think it's related, it seems I just put off replacing the filter element for too long.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM

I wonder if is possible to fit foam filters over the velocity stacks just as an added safety measure. I've had an engine blow up because of a bad seal in the airbox allowed dust to get in past the filter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I wonder if is possible to fit foam filters over the velocity stacks just as an added safety measure. I've had an engine blow up because of a bad seal in the airbox allowed dust to get in past the filter.
Dave (jdrocks) has done that, and recommends it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dave (jdrocks) has done that, and recommends it.
But he does it because he is riding in dusty conditions (socks plus normal air filter).

You do not need to put socks on velocity stacks for a road bike (with normal air filter)
You will loose some torque/power as you have just deminished the air flow what a velocity stack is designed to improve.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 PM

What he said. The stock air filter is completely adequate. Foam filters tend to disintergrate after some years (like ten).
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
adequate for what?

you and Kawasaki both think so, it's the company line. the newer ptwin air boxes on the sportbikes were designed and roto molded as two pieces, then fused together, no opportunity to inspect the inside for debris. the air boxes even have the recesses for the screws that would have held it together, same as the two piece box on the Versys. the air filters are essentially the same construction as used with the Versys, except slightly larger. with a one piece airbox, Kawasaki is stating that they don't think anything will get past the OEM filter, or if it does, no big deal.

so what's the problem?

i've had my hands on a bunch of these Kawasaki ptwin two piece air boxes in addition to those used on my own bikes, identical to and interchangeable with the Versys air box. every single air box had crap and dust downstream of the OEM filter, and the only way to completely clean it up is split the airbox and wipe down the surfaces. the air boxes examined were from street bikes, absolutely no indication of any miles other than highway.

that's why i added dual element pod filters to the throttle body runners, the OEM filter now acts as a pre filter.
Sorry, but I am not following your explanations here.

Is this a problem on the 2008 Versys (stock)? If so, is the problem due to openings or cracks in the airbox? Or openings in the airfilter? Or airfilter gaskets? Or all three?

Thanks for any clarification that you can provide.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
adequate for what?

you and Kawasaki both think so, it's the company line. the newer ptwin air boxes on the sportbikes were designed and roto molded as two pieces, then fused together, no opportunity to inspect the inside for debris. the air boxes even have the recesses for the screws that would have held it together, same as the two piece box on the Versys. the air filters are essentially the same construction as used with the Versys, except slightly larger. with a one piece airbox, Kawasaki is stating that they don't think anything will get past the OEM filter, or if it does, no big deal.

so what's the problem?

i've had my hands on a bunch of these Kawasaki ptwin two piece air boxes in addition to those used on my own bikes, identical to and interchangeable with the Versys air box. every single air box had crap and dust downstream of the OEM filter, and the only way to completely clean it up is split the airbox and wipe down the surfaces. the air boxes examined were from street bikes, absolutely no indication of any miles other than highway.

that's why i added dual element pod filters to the throttle body runners, the OEM filter now acts as a pre filter.
Kinda like belt and suspender, reduntant. I've been in a few airboxes myself and never found anything to concern me. You pre-filters probably only cost you a few hp, no big deal.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Yeah, restricting airflow doesn't reduce hp.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 PM

I have seen no-toil cleaner eat non no-toil filters. It just ate the glue that held a twinair together.. it just fell apart at the seams. Also it ate the actual foam of an OE honda dirt bike filter which turned crumbly afterwards. Sounds like your situation. may have to do with mixing it too strong.

I love it (no-toil) though and still use it. Just buy their filters.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Seen this one on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121208207519...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anders B.
Sweden
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLE...2d9837&vxp=mtr

http://www.simota.com/syscate.php?SM=2&ST=12&SC=215

Last edited by invader; 12-02-2014 at 07:43 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Look like a K&N clone. Increases hp by at least 5%, BWAHAHAHA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode