SwingArm socket sizes? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
SwingArm socket sizes?

I checked my larger impact sockets, and either did not have one the right size, or my 1/2 drive impact sockets have to heavy a "wall" to fit into the recesses.

Anyone recall what size(s) these were to pull the swingarm or did you use a special socket, or 3/8 drive or a PLASMA CUTTER?

Thanks, just need to know what sockets to get or borrow.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 10-25-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I checked my larger impact sockets, and either did not have one the right size, or my 1/2 drive impact sockets have to heavy a "wall" to fit into the recesses.

Anyone recall what size(s) these were to pull the swingarm or did you use a special socket, or 3/8 drive or a PLASMA CUTTER?

Thanks, just need to know what sockets to get or borrow.

You recently posted;" I hung a pair of 37 Liter Holan-Nomada's"
So what exactly are you trying to remove and why?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Swing arm service. My panniers are quite unrelated--

; )

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Swing arm service. My panniers are quite unrelated--

; )
The panniers was only a reference as to this post being for real, you did mention Plasma cutter--------------so I tried my deep impact sockets on the swing arm bolt, foot brake side. 22mm or 7/8 , 7/8 is equal to 22.22mm, this is the head of the bolt. Nut side is 15/16 , which is a snug fit or 24mm, again used deep impact six point sockets. I should mention my bike is a 07, I don't think this has changed over the years, and there was plenty of room between the outside of my socket and inside of mounting.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-26-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Was that the bolt's head, or the nut which needs to be loosened?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hey, thanks you guys.

Sorry to have interjected "plasma cutter", it's just that I spent several hours a week ago getting the front sprocket nut off....

and after reading threads all week... it seems or sounds like Kawi over-torqued various bits of our bikes... I am a tad cynical yet from the sprocket nut ordeal, went with a 16 T Ninja sprocket (rubber loaded), a new chain, new rear sprocket, new front and back tires, new wheel bearings, all standing by.

But as I stare at the swing arm, bike sitting on the (Harbor FRIGHT) stand (until I swing it from a forklift), I can't help but thing NOW, while I have the time (over the winter) it would be good to drop the swing arm out of there and have a closer look...

the Versys is off the road now for the season, and I have another bike for riding in the remaining nice weather days of the season here (Minnesota). While I have the shop space and time, I want to go through the VERS and make sure it's ready come spring, as I don't know the history of her...

I have been reading that like with my (previous) 2009 KLR, that KAWI must value grease as if it comes from gold cows (or KAWs?). I am still wanting to meet the guy that sharpened the spots on the frame of my old KLR during assembly....

Anyway, I want to pull the swing arm on the VERS, assume it will need cleaning, inspecting and a grease job, and potentially new bearings, etc.

I have seen, read and started to digest what a guy needs to look at in there, and thought it would make for some great Saturday entertainment when my chums come by to drink my coffee and eat all my donuts... three of us all former or current KLR flyers. We are not happy unless something is tore apart on the shop floor.

The second question, I assumed I need a socket on both sides of the swing arm to pull that big mother bolt out, so I was asking for multiple socket sizes, if applicable. Whatever you can share, much appreciated.

I forget that there are those times where the USA sockets crossover potentially into the Metric world. That was a good reminder, thanks.

And the donut-eating devils that come over to "assist" me on weekends when we are not riding. Good guys, known the one guy since high school.... uhh, the 1970s... we had hair, Nixon was president (never mind).

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trying to find the post with alternative center stand support, if I find it I will add it, closest I could find, use a pipe and two jack stands;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...keOnStands.jpg

go down to post #5 by Invader
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=pipe+stand

Last edited by onewizard; 10-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 PM

The swingarm bolt's nut takes a 24mm or 15/16" (23.8125mm) socket.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

All good you guys, thanks.

Great detail on the alternative service stand approach pics, I will work with that. Funny, someone else with a Pacific Coast in their garage next to the VERS per the pics.

I also appreciate the socket size data too.

Thanks

Paul
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 PM

Where do you see a Pacific Coast? What type of vehicle is it?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Where do you see a Pacific Coast? What type of vehicle is it?
WARNING: This will stray off topic.

The Pacific Coast is in one of the pics in the link that Onewizard kindly shared.

It's on the far left in the pic of the lime green Versys pic there-

I spotted just the mirror on the edge of the pic...
I wash bugs out of the crevice in that mirror often....

Like a Versys, it's was another misunderstood bike. Oh, it's a GEEZER bike...

Mine,

They are kind of fun to work on. They don't need much care or feeding, really. I got mine as a barn find at 10,000 miles.... it's 17 years old!

It has a trunk that will hold several bags of groceries....

It has an 800cc V twin with carbs, shaft drive, 5 speed gearbox, liq. cooled, and is covered in Tupperware. It has hydraulic valve adjusters for easy maintenance- giving you even less to do with it. You can wash and detail her quickly.... no real bike parts exposed... the vents on the side work with ram air that comes in under the windshield to keep her cool. It has more crash bars than a stock-car, they are hidden beneath the plastics front, rear, all over... thus, the major gross weight...

It has underbody exhaust, like another misunderstood bike we know about...

It sounds like a speed boat with underwater exhaust.... she is almost silent running, at 75 MPH you sit with your helmet face shield up/open. It is eerie quiet at highway speeds.... you just hear the rush of the wind going over your head, with that billboard size windscreen.

You could sit and play cards, read a paperback, your quite protected from the wind. They made them from 1989 to 1998, but there was a 3 year period in there when they stopped importing them. It never took off in the USA, very futuristic even for 1989. Mine is a 1997, they only imported 700 and some of them to the USA in '97. Less the next and last year.

Other countries made police bikes from them. Very low center of gravity, 30 inch seat, and 640 pounds.... Fast enough to defend itself in traffic. But not Versys fast.

She is well planted in a side wind. It is quite hot to ride mid-summer, you get almost no air as the operator.... but in early spring/late fall, it's quite toasty.

It's a fun bike to work on actually, you have to dig to find anything to do on them.... Honda goofed up and put a bullet proof motor in them and great shaft drive. It's a great Sunday bike, just change oil and wash it. You can get almost 10,000 miles out of set of Dunlops on her that are not too badly priced.

Makes a neat second bike. Like a Gold Wing, the tank is FAKE. It's the airbox actually. The real tank is set at the near bottom of the bike in a cage. I get 48-52 MPG. You can toss anyone the keys, and it's easy to ride if my group needs a backup bike now that I have the VERS as well. The dash looks like it came from a Honda Civic.

From a old published review of them:

The PC 800 might be too sensible. When the PC debuted, it was considered a radical bike -- the world's first motorcycle completely hermetically sealed within an envelope of plastic. In fact, the PC 800 seems ashamed of its motorcycle lineage. What this bike really wants to be is a car, all the way down to the automobile-like instrument panel and the textured PVC that covers the handlebars. Shhhhh: Listen closely and you can hear it whisper "I wish I were an Accord. I wish I were an Accord."

They would not make a pretty (naked) rat bike. Just sayin.

Thanks for the chance to show her off a bit.. you see them on Craigs for as low as $1,300- to $4000 for a clean one.

TV commercial for them from 1989, apparently they came with a hot babe, a Rolex and a cup of coffee. Mine was missing all three.

THESE WERE $8,600 + in 1989, well beyond a touring BEAMER possibly of the day I suspect. Probably did not help the sales..

Last edited by unstable_rider; 10-28-2014 at 12:45 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FWIW - I started this thread when I pulled my swingarm:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19548

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Say,

Thanks Ed. I have had a busy week and just picked up some sockets I needed last night, so I hope to work on this some tomorrow, heading for you link now,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode