V Not Starting Properly - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V Not Starting Properly

Hi again folks, here's a new one for me: when I try to start the bike, it turn over but doesn't catch. FI light flashes only after I hit start; not when I first turn the key. A few days ago it would fire up on the second try (turn key off, on again, hit start), but this morning it was 3rd try, after work 4th try (reluctantly started), got gas and 5th try (reluctantly started). Once running there is no more FI light, and it runs like a clock. '08 Versys with about 35000 km on it. Valves and plugs done at the beginning of the season.
As always, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Never mind, just checked the battery and I'm pretty sure that's what the issue is.
Thanks anyways
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Original battery?

Clean off the oxidation buildup which is easy to overlook on top of your battery terminals and underneath cable end connectors with some medium grit sandpaper, or similar.

Last edited by invader; 10-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Original battery? What year is your Versys?

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Update:

So, maybe not the battery afterall? Got a new Yuasa AGM battery, put it in, and bike didnt start. Checked the charge and saw 12.4. Plugged it in to top it up to 13.xx and the bike started fine for about a week, and then didnt start again today until 2nd try. I didn't measure the charge off the battery today though.
Any thoughts?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Mines doing the same thing. I wrote it off as weak OE battery in my '10. Haven't replaced yet..

~Two weeks ago I went off on it for the weekend and experienced the first of the "funny" behavior. Didn't want to start then ran roughly for a few minutes with FI light on the morning I left . Once I got it moving, FI light went out and all was well - until I stopped for gas a couple hours later.. that time light came on but it started ran ok. After that no more issues for the weekend.

About a week later of it sitting in garage I tried to start it. FI light came on and it would start, run feebly and cut out. couldn't get it to rev or run more than a couple seconds. gave up and figured battery time. Hope that's all. I'll post here and let you know when I get one and what happens.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
So, maybe not the battery afterall? Got a new Yuasa AGM battery, put it in, and bike didnt start. Checked the charge and saw 12.4. Plugged it in to top it up to 13.xx and the bike started fine for about a week, and then didnt start again today until 2nd try. I didn't measure the charge off the battery today though.
Any thoughts?
did you charge the new battery befor installing it?

but sounds like a stator or regulator issue
can you do a vid of it haveing its starting issue
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi again folks, here's a new one for me: when I try to start the bike, it turn over but doesn't catch. FI light flashes only after I hit start; not when I first turn the key. A few days ago it would fire up on the second try (turn key off, on again, hit start), but this morning it was 3rd try, after work 4th try (reluctantly started), got gas and 5th try (reluctantly started). Once running there is no more FI light, and it runs like a clock. '08 Versys with about 35000 km on it. Valves and plugs done at the beginning of the season.
As always, thanks in advance.
Have you checked to see if there are any error codes stored? From a electrical perspective I would check the frame ground and the engine ground next to the starter . The starter uses the same ground for return path back to negtive terminal. Could also be fuel pump failure, if it was a regulator problem, you wouldn't be able to turn over after sitting for a day. Stator failure, battery would be similar to old battery after a couple hours riding. Normal procedure for a new Yuasa battery is to charge per instructions , usually 6 to 8 hours.

Many threads on this, reference to stator, a meter connected to battery while running would have helped, connected while turning over , should be between 10.5 and 12.5 volts
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, here are some answers to your questions and a few back of my own:
Didn't charge the battery first, as it was supposed to come charged, but put it on the charger after the first failed start.
Have not checked ground.
I have a LED battery minder on the bike, and it stays green (good) while the bike is running. When the stator went on my last V, the minder was showing that the battery wasn't charging.
Bike runs great once started. If it was the fuel pump, would it only act up on start?
Could it just be the starter, seeing as there are no other symptoms?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 AM

It would really help to know what is happening when you try starting... "when I try to start the bike, it turn over but doesn't catch" ?

Can you explain exactly what it's doing and not doing? Maybe post a video?

Is your normal warmed up idle speed set to 1,300 rpm? Have you checked your valve clearances and throttle body vacuum synch? How much mileage on your spark plugs? How cold is it when you try starting? Do you run high-grade ethanol-free gasoline and synthetic oil?

Mine always starts like a charm, still with its original 2007 Yuasa battery made in China, by the way.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2014 at 07:55 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, having a hard time uploading video; trying to convert from .MOV to something this site supports.
Valves checked and plugs replaced at beginning of season (about 10000 km ago)
During riding season I mostly use 87 octane as per manual plus I add Startron. End of riding season (a few tanks ago) I switch to ethanol free.
Only Amsoil in bike
Throttle body not done yet.
Idle set to 13-1400 and checked regularly
If you were watching the video that I can't seem to upload, you would see a meter hooked up to the battery start at 12.8, and only drop to 11.3 with the failed start. Second attempt battery starts at about 12.3, drops to about 11, fires right up, and jumps to over 14 while warming up. Just noticed that it smells like gas after the failed first attempt, so it would appear that the pump is working (and you can hear it). It was not filmed in smell-o-vision, so the would be viewers at home wouldn't have caught this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:07 PM

pull a spark plug and check its condition.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
pull a spark plug and check its condition.
Bites that on this bike you have to remove the tank to do that!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry, having a hard time uploading video; trying to convert from .MOV to something this site supports.
Valves checked and plugs replaced at beginning of season (about 10000 km ago)
During riding season I mostly use 87 octane as per manual plus I add Startron. End of riding season (a few tanks ago) I switch to ethanol free.
Only Amsoil in bike
Throttle body not done yet.
Idle set to 13-1400 and checked regularly
If you were watching the video that I can't seem to upload, you would see a meter hooked up to the battery start at 12.8, and only drop to 11.3 with the failed start. Second attempt battery starts at about 12.3, drops to about 11, fires right up, and jumps to over 14 while warming up. Just noticed that it smells like gas after the failed first attempt, so it would appear that the pump is working (and you can hear it). It was not filmed in smell-o-vision, so the would be viewers at home wouldn't have caught this.
Put it up on youtube, that will be easier than converting, youtube accepts basically any video format
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

this should be the vid:

No Video
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM

Yes, your fuel pump definitely sounds sick. It does in fact appear to be dying. It sounds dry of fuel on first starting attempt... There are some tests that can be done to check pump's pressure, volume output, etc, to confirm, but I doubt it's neccessary in your case.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Garage
ya fuel pump doesnt prime when you first turned your key. when you turn your key on if you dont hear the fuel pump buzz turn the kill switch (not key) off then back on. if it buzzes then try starting it
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM

He likely had already primed it just before without trying to start it, while preparing to shoot the video.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Fuel pump does prime shortly the fisrt time ignition is turned on in the video... He likely had already primed it just before without trying to start it, while preparing to shoot the video.
the first attempt to start sounds like just the electric choke not fuel pump to me second try was both fuel pump and choke
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Right. That's probably because it was already primed if he turned ignition on before without cranking it, while preparing to make the video... Gsus? Also, have you checked for FI trouble code(s) stored in memory? There is no code for the fuel pump, by the way.

Pump appears to be struggling, although engine does continue to run once started.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode