Hardware for GIVI Crash bars and SW-Motech Skid Plate - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hardware for GIVI Crash bars and SW-Motech Skid Plate

I know that the compatibility of the two has been talked about several times on here. But my question is a little different. I bought both used, in a bulk purchase of accessories off another bike. Neither came with the actual mounting hardware. So I'm aware that they share some mounting points. When doing both, which hardware do you really use for mounting? I'm assuming the GIVI hardware, and just shorten the spacers? I'm getting ready to order the GIVI parts kit for $40, which I'm assuming doesn't include shipping, as trying to source some of the pieces locally; especially the spacers and metric all-thread. Is turning out to be problematic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
just go to the hard wear store and get bolts and cut to length that you need. make sure to put a nut on the bolt befor cutting to clean up the threads
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
just go to the hard wear store and get bolts and cut to length that you need. make sure to put a nut on the bolt befor cutting to clean up the threads
Been there, tried that. It's what I had to do for my Sw-Motech rear and side quick-lock carriers with Trax cases. But the Givi Crash bars are a different animal. Went to the local hardware store with the best selection; heck it's even called "Nuts & Bolts". They don't have metric threaded rod, and the last thing I want to do is go SAE on one thing, which would then require me to carry some SAE tools; should I have to remove the bars. Plus they don't have spacers that are close to long enough or the correct sizes, or strong enough. When I did the side bag mounts, I had to buy chrome spacers that were way too large in OD, then grind them down to the correct dia. removing all the chrome, then cut them down. At just under $5 a piece, it was a complete waste. Not to mention, I want either all stainless or at least some sort of Zinc or Nickel coating for corrosion and rust protection. And I don't have the time to re-invent the wheel, I've got to have my finished basement emptied and demo'd by 11/3 for the start of foundation work, have a Baby due 12/26, will be traveling for work quite a bit, and still have a million other things to do.

So I figure I'll either buy the Givi or Motech hardware kit, and just make the necessary changes. I understand that some modification is going to be required, and I have no problem with that. But, I'm just trying to make it quicker and easier on myself.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have you checked ebay???

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
Been there, tried that. It's what I had to do for my Sw-Motech rear and side quick-lock carriers with Trax cases. But the Givi Crash bars are a different animal. Went to the local hardware store with the best selection; heck it's even called "Nuts & Bolts". They don't have metric threaded rod, and the last thing I want to do is go SAE on one thing, which would then require me to carry some SAE tools; should I have to remove the bars. Plus they don't have spacers that are close to long enough or the correct sizes, or strong enough. When I did the side bag mounts, I had to buy chrome spacers that were way too large in OD, then grind them down to the correct dia. removing all the chrome, then cut them down. At just under $5 a piece, it was a complete waste. Not to mention, I want either all stainless or at least some sort of Zinc or Nickel coating for corrosion and rust protection. And I don't have the time to re-invent the wheel, I've got to have my finished basement emptied and demo'd by 11/3 for the start of foundation work, have a Baby due 12/26, will be traveling for work quite a bit, and still have a million other things to do.

So I figure I'll either buy the Givi or Motech hardware kit, and just make the necessary changes. I understand that some modification is going to be required, and I have no problem with that. But, I'm just trying to make it quicker and easier on myself.
WTF no metric?!?! thats F-ed
sorry to hear that best of luck
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Have you checked ebay???
I've checked all over the internet, including ebay for the Crashbar Hardware kit. I can't even find a part number for the kit, let alone someone that sells it. short of contacting Givi directly. But my original question still remains. Which installation hardware gets used the most when installing both? The Givi or the SW-Motech?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 PM

I had the Givi crashbars installed first, and then added the sw motech skidplate. I had to swap positions of spacers that were already installed from givi kit with some that came with skidplate hardware kit. I ended up using a couple of spacers put together and some washers for spacing on the rear threaded rod. The spacing on the rear threaded rod was the biggest change because the spacer is made for givi bars and when you add sw motech mounting brackets to it, it changes the length of spacer needed. Kind of difficult to explain without actually doing it. To make a long story short, I mixed and matched pieces from both hardware kits. If I had to buy one hardware kit, I would buy the givi hardware kit. The threaded rod in the givi kit is the longer one between the two kits and it ends up being the one needed to fit through both brackets. I think you could find material to use as spacers if you needed to get creative to complete the install.
my bike is here;
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=60738

install instructions
http://static.twisted-throttle.net/m...12_10000_b.pdf
http://old.itlcanada.com/internal2/i...s/076tn422.pdf
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM

do you have a fastenal store near you? https://www.fastenal.com/web/home

or if you know the thread size www.mcmaster.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode