Driving Lights Question... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Driving Lights Question...

hey guys,

I'm just looking for some input here. I'd like to add some small extra driving lights to my V, but I am not a super electrical wiz. I sure I can get some cheap lights and get them hooked up on my own, but I don't want to overload my system, and I'm not sure how to calculate how much Farkle is too much... (any suggestions for lights that you like and work well, I'd love to hear also)

Most of these lights burn 55 watts (I think?) so that's 110 total for a pair of lights. My bike has Oxford heated grips already, as well as a 12 volt charger outlet for Phone etc.

I want to set the lights up on a switch, so I would only be running them when I need them, and I probably wouldn't be running everything at once; although here in Maine I'm sure I'l need the lights and grips at the same time eventually.

Do you guys think I'm good to add the lights, or do I need to spend the money on the more expensive high-output lights that use less power. I doubt I'll be adding anything else electrical in the future. Thoughts??

Cheers, and thanks!
Chris
08 Red V;
Oxford Heated Grips
Arrow Slip-on exhaust
Speedy's lowering kit.
Pirelli Diablo Strada tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM

I think you're fine. I run a pair of 55w driving lights pretty much all the time (the better to be seen by others) and western Mass gets nearly as cold as Maine so I also run grip heaters and I wear a heated jacket liner. I've had no issues running them all.

Make sure you run the lights through a relay or a fuse block that shuts down power to the lights when you turn off the key. All it will take is one time forgetting they're still on to leave your battery drained and you stranded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Picked these up for $19. Ran a relay and lighted toggle switch on the dash. Love them at night, realy lights up the side roads. No worries about power draw being to high. 55w per.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1313130013.JPG (845.9 KB, 183 views)

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Those are awesome, and pretty much exactly what I was thinking about doing; same mounting position. Where did you get those? What brand are they?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM

These are them, just in a diff colour and a yellow light not blue. I picked them up at a local discount store - Princess Auto in Langley BC. $19 I couldn't resist.

http://www.xtremeinc.ca/product.php?...cat=319&page=1

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, those things are about $33 bucks a pair on line. I'll have to look around here and see what I can get my hands on. No hurry, since we've got a few months before anything thaws out! I like your Hose clamp attachments too. VERY simple, and I definitely want them to mount onto the forks so that they turn with me, since the headlights won't do that. I'm also looking through other old threads on driving lights for ideas.

Cheers Mate!!
Chris
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
Picked these up for $19. Ran a relay and lighted toggle switch on the dash. Love them at night, realy lights up the side roads. No worries about power draw being to high. 55w per.

I seem to have the exact same fog lights. they work a charm but get pretty damn hot. They are triggered to go on with my low beam so far so good just a bit concerned about the heat they generate(bulb life and what not).

Will post pics as soon as I locate my camera. Fitted them to the front of the sw motech crashbars.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 AM

pics

excuse the dirty V we have had nearly 400mm of rain since 01 Jan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 AM

Good lookin my friend.

IBA# 38547
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 PM

After many weeks of struggling I decided to mount some led lights to the fork using a 2 inch stainless steel muffler bracket, a rubber cap cut to fit from the plumming department and a few washers. The job in it's current state is half done but you get the idea. The lights are 16 led white fogs from ebay for $14. I can switch to brighter 55 watt light if I desire but I will see how these $14 led work. I have HID in the low so my light output is sufficient. The power draw is so low I will just run them to one of my other ignition switched toys. If anyone is interest I can post pictures of the parts used and provide a step by step but the one picture of the fork tells it all (might have to trim more rubber off).

In case your wondering the lights where the mirrors would go are 55 watt walmart specials. I'm switching to led H3 type because the bulbs only last for a few miles. I only use those during the daytime due to the blinding output but that might change once I put the low powered led bulbs in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (570.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (628.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (362.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (586.8 KB, 100 views)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

HEY CD, Thanks for posting those pics. That muffler bracket looks really good. After a bunch of looking around, I ordered a pair of these from Flea-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_4156wt_941
They were cheap-ish; $35, and I really like the shape of them. I think they will look good on the V. What I like is that these have an LED running light for all the time use, so I will still have some extra visibility for other drivers to see me, and then the 55watt light I can switch on when I need it at night.

I'm expecting them in this week, and it'll be next week at the earliest before I can get them installed, but I'll keep y'all posted. I'm thinking about making a bracket from a flat piece of aluminum that would mount somehow under the triple clamp, but still working out exactly how...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode