Continental Conti Motions $155 a pair - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Continental Conti Motions $155 a pair

I've owned two sets of the Michelin Pilot Road series of tires and they are long wearing, high grip tires I would not hesitate to recommend. So my question becomes what do I lose when I purchase a pair of Conti Motion tires at half the price? The Conti Motion seem like a great deal even if they don't last quite as long.

Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring radials are selling for about $155 for a set of two tires currently on Ebay. In contrast the cheapest I've seen a set of Michelin Pilot Road tires is $330 a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I ran some conti sport touring tires on my last bike. I don't remember if that was the model, but I was happy and got decent wear out of them (ninja 600).

For that price ai would buy in a instant, and be ok with a bit shorter wear than the Pilot Roads.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
$155, or 160.99 USD for a pair of Conti Motion 160/60 and 120/70 on Ebay from USA to Canada comes to a total of about $260 CAD including shipping and import charges.

$228.73 CAD total including taxes, free shipping in Canada from:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...rear-tire.html

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...ront-tire.html

Last edited by invader; 10-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the link.....that is a great deal.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have run rear Contimotions on the Versys and the Concours. Both times I needed a tire while many miles from home and both times the contimotion was the only sport touring tire available at a dealer within 250 miles of my location.

I have not issues with the Contimotion and both lasted in excess of 8000 miles. The only potential negative is that there is solid rubber down the middle of the tire. There is no indication that you are about to expose the belts until they are exposed. Now you have limited miles left to go find a tire. If all your riding is local, then no problem.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM

They appear to be (US) $212 now
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've owned two sets of the Michelin Pilot Road series of tires and they are long wearing, high grip tires I would not hesitate to recommend. So my question becomes what do I lose when I purchase a pair of Conti Motion tires at half the price? The Conti Motion seem like a great deal even if they don't last quite as long.

Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring radials are selling for about $155 for a set of two tires currently on Ebay. In contrast the cheapest I've seen a set of Michelin Pilot Road tires is $330 a set.
I ran three or four sets of ContiMotions, and thought they were pretty decent, w/ acceptable mileage....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:06 PM

You still can't beat Ravens for price and decent performance.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
$155, or 160.99 USD for a pair of Conti Motion 160/60 and 120/70 on Ebay from USA to Canada comes to a total of about $260 CAD including shipping and import charges.

$240.03 CAD total including taxes, free shipping in Canada from:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...rear-tire.html

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...ront-tire.html
I live 45 minutes from the border so no shipping charges or taxes. Just a 5 receiving fee and the exchange rate.

Petes Superbike is the cheapest source of new tires in Canada. http://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php

Last edited by twowheels; 10-20-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I live 45 minutes from the border so no shipping charges or taxes. Just a 5 receiving fee and the exchange rate.

Petes Superbike is the cheapest source of new tires in Canada. http://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php
You can add 90 minutes of gas and time, and going through the border twice. Lotsa fun.

Pete's Supebike: $207.81 tax included + $35.83 shipping = $243.44

Canada's Motorcycle: $228.73 tax included, free shipping.

Last edited by invader; 10-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Ditto

The set on my V is at 8K miles and will be replaced shortly.
Just ordered a set on Fleabay this past weekend for $157.65 to my door.

Last edited by Ziggy; 10-20-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
That is the tire I normally run on the Versys and my Mean Streak.

I feel that the Concours has too much power for it though.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode