First big problem(s)! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First big problem(s)!

A month ago I moved from NYC to Portland, OR and after 3 years and 40,000+ miles I experienced my first big problems on my 2011 Versys. I rode my bike xcountry and the day after I arrived to Portland, my bike had problems turning on. It would crank, but refused to turn. I towed it to the closest mechanic, which received favorable reviews on Yelp, and found out that the down sensor failed. After replacing the down sensor the bike would crank and turn, but refused to keep chugging. They then diagnosed the fuel pump failed . I haven't had a single problem in 40k+ miles, but I guess it was due for one. Too bad it was two big ones, but I guess it was lucky it happened after my xcountry trip! Hope to get the bike next week!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't think your down sensor would have failed... How sure are you about the fuel pump failing? What would have caused it?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The guy i sold my 09 to told me he had to replace the fuel pump after he had it for 3 months.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to portland what shop did you take you bike to? also what kind of gas have you been using? ive herd that high ethanol gas will brake down the seals in the fuel pump especially if it sits unused alot.
hope you get it fixed soon and get back on the road.
another good forum is pnwriders.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went to Fast Bikes on Morrison and 9th, it was closest to my new apartment and being here for only a couple of weeks and not knowing other local riders, I made the decision by convenience. We did an electrical test and the down sensor failed as it was receiving no voltage. I normally use regular fuel, but during my xcountry trip, I noticed some pumps had higher ethanol gas especially in the central states. At times I didn't have an option to find other gas stations, so I had to fill up. Its hard to determine why the fuel pump failed.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcleen1004 View Post
I went to Fast Bikes on Morrison and 9th, it was closest to my new apartment and being here for only a couple of weeks and not knowing other local riders, I made the decision by convenience. We did an electrical test and the down sensor failed as it was receiving no voltage. I normally use regular fuel, but during my xcountry trip, I noticed some pumps had higher ethanol gas especially in the central states. At times I didn't have an option to find other gas stations, so I had to fill up. Its hard to determine why the fuel pump failed.
theres 100's of resons it can fail... glad you made the trip well tho again welcome to PDX , im a local rider lol hit me up when you wanna ride
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Silviefox, who is your dealer/mechanic in town? need to be my bearings for good wrenches!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcleen1004 View Post
Silviefox, who is your dealer/mechanic in town? need to be my bearings for good wrenches!
myself >.>.... i bought my versys used this year so there really hasnt been anything i needed to take it to a shop for, ive done all my own fluid changes , replaced my rad fan, installed an alarm, trunk box, and a few other things,

Dr. Wheelgood from PNWriders is one of the best guys in the area that i know of that wont rip you off like most shops and will come to you! and will show you what hes doing so you can learn yourself
he helped me a ton when i built my cafe bike a couple years ago, also have hung out with him at a couple bike meets and hes just an awesome guy

http://doctorwheelgood.com/
http://pnwriders.com/users/curveaddict/

if you insist on going to a shop..
DO NOT GO TO VISIOUS CYCLES!!!!!!
they ****ED up my ATK and made sure to take my money befor i saw the bike

i personally would change the fuel pump myself, it really isnt that hard,
un hook fuel line. drain the tank, take the screws out that hold the pump in , pull it out , put "new" one in, screw it in hook up fuel line, replace fuel and ride

j/w did you get any error codes? a fail down sensor should have thown code 31 and if it throws that the ecu locks the fuel pump , injectors, and ignition systems.

also another j/w with your ignition (key) on , when you turn your kill switch from off (kill mode) to on (run mode) do you hear a buzz?

id also check your fuel pump relay , fuel filter, pump screen, and or pressure regulator...

not saying the shop you took it too is doing this but alot of places like to start at the most expensive parts first when something stops working , and it ends up being something small and cheap

Last edited by silviefox; 10-18-2014 at 11:52 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The most common cause of fuel pump failure is mechanic error. It is easy to damage the fuel pump hose connector, which ruins the fuel pump, when removing the tank. Many forum members have done this. I would ask for my old fuel pump back in a situation like this to ensure it is not the mechanic who broke the fuel pump.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The most common cause of fuel pump failure is mechanic error. It is easy to damage the fuel pump hose connector, which ruins the fuel pump, when removing the tank. Many forum members have done this. I would ask for my old fuel pump back in a situation like this to ensure it is not the mechanic who broke the fuel pump.
And several guys have repaired the broken plastic "hose barb" w/ a piece of copper tubing and JB Weld.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Interesting! Even more of a reason to be careful when removing the tank.

I lay down a pair of two-by-fours on the shop floor and arrange them in a V, and place the tank atop that, to keep the fuel hose connector off the ground. It looks fragile and I guess it is.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
What some guys were doing (and I think the broken fittings happened doing this) was to NOT disconnect the fuel-line, and somehow brace the gas tank onto a ladder or something. Not a GREAT idea....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Garage
That's quite a move and change in climate and scenery. I hope to ride the west coast in 2015. Still haven't decided if I will be on the Concours or Versys.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode