Tire change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire change?

Can the tubeless tires on the V be changed like the old tubed tires by hand or do you need a machine like a car tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM

They can be changed by hand, but usually require a little help to break the bead. If you have the right technique, all it takes are three tire irons.

Gustavo
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

If you are going to do it yourself (it's a total PITA), lay the wheel/tire in the sun for at least an hour so the tire gets hot and pliable.

Getting the old tire off is the easy part. When you put the new tire on and you're trying to get it on the rim, you'll check (at least once) to make sure the shop did not give you a 16" tire. TOTAL PITA without the right tools!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM

You'll shoot your eye out!

Oh, wait... I mean, you'll probably wind up putting some tiny scratches on the rim, unless you protect it somehow. Then there's balancing the wheel. I change dirt bike tires all the time, but I'll let the pros swap and balance the tires on the V when it comes time.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I was doing some research and found this on youtube, Looks about the same except breaking the bead and balancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
You'll shoot your eye out!
+1

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Yeah, have your rubber changed for you. Don't know where you live, but I've got a local shop that changes them for $20 each. It is the best $40 you will every spend in your life.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaustin View Post
Yeah, have your rubber changed for you. Don't know where you live, but I've got a local shop that changes them for $20 each. It is the best $40 you will every spend in your life.

Since you are close by, come watch me do a tire change. It may make you think twice about giving up the $40. I go through tires too fast to have to run to the shop every time I need a change. Plus you save quite a bit ordering online for the tires. I dont let the shop do my tires because I do not want my rims scratched. I use Rim savers and 3 tire Irons. For Balance I use the Mark Parnes. Works just as good as the spin balance. I also have at my disposal free auto machine and spin balancer, but I can do it manually just as fast as driving over and driving back, and it is only about 7 miles away.

Todd
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
I use Rim savers and 3 tire Irons. For Balance I use the Mark Parnes.
This is the first I've heard of this device but I like what I see on their website. Can you tell me which one you are using? I see three types for Kawasaki motorcycles. Are you using the universal kit?

I also looked at rim savers and a reviewer suggested more than two for the job. How many do you use?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer as I have two brand new tires in a box ready for mounting and I sure would like to learn to do it myself.

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM

I've changed my own tires on my BMW when they wanted $70 per tire to change them!

You can make some of your own tools. I used an old car tire rim and protect the edges with foam pipe insultion. I use threaded rods to bolt the rim and the motorcycle wheel to my work bench. Then I fashioned a bead breaker from some 2x4's. Works great!

I have some tire irons and it's fairly easy to work the tires with some dish soap/water solution. Putting the new tires on is just as easy. Same dish soap/water solution and the first bead will just pop on. Then use the irons to get the second bead on. You can use shampoo bottle plastic as rim savers.

Then you just need some compressed air and inflate. The beads will snap into place and seal.

Just be sure to line up the marked dot with the valve stem and ensure you have the tires in the correct rotation - marking the rims with tape and a marker helps before removing the old tire.

To balance the tires I found balance beads on line - don't laugh - they worked great too.

The only problem is tire disposal. I have an old set of tires I need to take to the recyclers. I think they charge $20.00 a tire to take them.

In the end it could just be worth it to take it to the shop.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAParatrooper View Post
This is the first I've heard of this device but I like what I see on their website. Can you tell me which one you are using? I see three types for Kawasaki motorcycles. Are you using the universal kit?

I also looked at rim savers and a reviewer suggested more than two for the job. How many do you use?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer as I have two brand new tires in a box ready for mounting and I sure would like to learn to do it myself.

I use 4 Rim savers, they are made out of white nylon. They are hard enough to pry against with out splitting or crushing. They cover almost 1/2 of the outer rim circumference. Plenty for removing the tire and installing the new one. The key to getting the tire on with out much trouble is keeping the opposite side in the valley of the Rim. Also it helps to put the tire out in the sun to warm it up and make it pliable. I use the Harbour Freight Tire Changer. It is used only to break the bead, and to hold the rim, while I spoon tires on and off.

I have never put a single mark on any of my Rims. If you get the Hf tire changer, buy a scrap piece of leather and glue it to the HF clamps.

I will take pics of my set-up tomorrow for you and describe each item that I use.

Todd
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 AM

I use the Harbour Freight changer with no problems, use Ride-On for balancing and puncture seal. Have used Ride-On or PJ-1 balancer for years and it works great with no ugly weights on rims.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM

I recommend a good air compressor (large volume) to set the bead. Either that, or a (very) small amount of propane/butane and a long match.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I made my own bead breaker from junk and an old 14" wheel, and change ALL my own!

NOTHING but good advice on the other posts!

Ed
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
Since you are close by, come watch me do a tire change. It may make you think twice about giving up the $40. I go through tires too fast to have to run to the shop every time I need a change. Plus you save quite a bit ordering online for the tires. I dont let the shop do my tires because I do not want my rims scratched. I use Rim savers and 3 tire Irons. For Balance I use the Mark Parnes. Works just as good as the spin balance. I also have at my disposal free auto machine and spin balancer, but I can do it manually just as fast as driving over and driving back, and it is only about 7 miles away.

Todd
I guess this was back in July but the information is good for anybody whos thinking about it...
Did you do it yourself NVcaster? howd it go?

I found a guy in my area on the advrider website who said he'd help with whatever, this was my first first time changing tires and it really wasn't that bad, the front tire axle bolt is freakn tight and that took awhile to get off but after that it was cake... so if I can do it pretty much anybody can... I put on the avon distanzias and when we went to balance them they were perfect... so over all I think I'd rather keep my money...

a side note that kinda goes along with this is now that I have sweet dual sport tires I have been going off road more and I got a nail in my back tire... so I am debating how to fix it now... either with a mushroom plug from the inside or ride-on... its my brand new tire and I was hoping to get 10k miles out of it... so I guess I'll see what happens... owell

go for it, do it yourself after your done you'll be glade you did...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

Last edited by asdf38; 10-28-2008 at 08:49 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
.... it really wasn't that bad, the front tire axle bolt is freakn tight and that took awhile to get off but after that it was cake...
To your point, askf38, I tried using the factory "tool" to loosen my front axle and ended up bending the crap out of the tool. I just picked up a 14mm allen key at Automotive Fasteners (regional chain that has every hard-to-find bolt, etc.) for under $5.

A quick web search lead me to believe that finding a hex wrench that big is easier said than done, so I was glad to hit pay dirt. My local Ace Hardware normally has everything, but even they did not have one over 10mm.

If anyone finds themselves needing one and can't find one locally, shoot me a PM and I can get you one and send it for cost of actual purchase and shipping. I would think shipping would be just a couple of bucks so $7 or so would cover it.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
I use the Harbour Freight changer with no problems, use Ride-On for balancing and puncture seal. Have used Ride-On or PJ-1 balancer for years and it works great with no ugly weights on rims.
Tommy, do you use the Ride-On stuff to actually do the balancing? I looked at their website and they said you should use it after your tire has been properly mounted and balanced.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM

I've read that most tire manufacturers use some method for marking the light spot on new tires. I have a set of Michelin Pilot Power tires that I am going to install soon but there is no such mark. There is, however, a bar code attached to the bead on both sets. Does anyone know if this is the method Michelin uses? Maybe Michelin falls outside of "most".

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM

To protect the rims I cut up an old bleach container. That plastic is very tough. I use Pledge around the bead to make things slide better. I took all the extraneous stuff off of the Harbor Freight tire changer and just use the bead breaker and the jaws to hold the tire at a nice work height.I made a balancer out of PVC tubing and two rules out of combination squares, cheap and way accurate. Over time this saves mucho buckos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode