Clutch cable broken - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Clutch cable broken

This morning at 6, riding to work I pulled the clutch lever to change gears....
and then I felt it....prrrrrrrr....
I never had something like that before, but I knew immediately what it was..
I tried to use the lever as little as possible, changed the gears without it (except the first when stopped), I tried to synchronize as much possible so I don't have to stop at traffic lights....

I made to work, and when I looked at the daylight, the cable "frayed" next to the small barrel in the clutch lever... it was ok with no wire frayed about 2 weeks ago....
I have about 32 000km. never changed the cable, loob it every few weeks.
It was bended from the factory, so it always worked a little bit harder, but it didn't bother me too much...

I managed to get a new cable with the some help and I started to change it in the parking lot at work, no tools available.

It took me no more than 15 min, first time doing this. It was quite easy, a lot easier than I expected... Next time I'm lubricating the cable I will take it off from the bike instead of fighting with the lubing tool that doesn't work...

result: feels like I have a new bike... changing gears it's a dream now, never felt that easy, not even new...
For 25$ and 20 min.... you cannot go wrong with this.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Did you grease the barrel on the end of the cable...I put a good amount of Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease on it....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ua...kbu-7nBO834fIy

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeap, took it out every time and cleaned it, lubricated...

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Woods riders will sometimes zip tie a spare cable to the one in use. That can be the difference between spending the night or getting home.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
MY experience w/ clutch cables in several Kawis (KLRs included) is that the engage/disengage point from the factory is TOO FAR from the bars, so that when you pull the lever back to the bars, it's trying to PULL the 'barrel' off once you're by that point. I set mine up so that the 'engage/disengage point' is MUCH closer to the bars, also making it a LOT easier to "slip" the clutch when necessary. Here's a pic of my '09.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8240437 copy.jpg (50.1 KB, 65 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Woods riders will sometimes zip tie a spare cable to the one in use. That can be the difference between spending the night or getting home.
tempted to do that myself, or atleast stash under the seat. as my daily rider to and from work i really don't want to get stranded at work. (or in between)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Cables last a really long time if properly taken care of. I'm leaving on a 20,000 mile trip in November and all I did was replace the cable before leaving. Lube the cable once a year or so and put grease on the barrel on the lever end and you won't have any problems. Even if you do you have plenty of warning. The cable breaks one strand at a time. Just inspect if occasionally.

If you cable breaks it is not the end of the world. Bike shift fine without clutch. If you have to stop you can just kill the engine a start it in first.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM

If I'm going someplace far off, I always pack a clutch cable. Cheap insurance against getting stranded.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I carry a spare clutch-cable under the seat in BOTH my Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode