swingarm cracked - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
swingarm cracked

If you continue in this thread, you will read what the OP really did. Last Edited by Onewizard

See Post #20 first

My swing arm is cracked at 2places 1is at the weld of the axel and the rail and above at the other weld of swing arm . Has anyone herd of this ? Please any info can help me . Kawasaki is not honoring there warranty on this saying lack of chain maintenance caused this !!!! ( WHAT ) I've had motorcycles all my life and did all maintenance . ( I'm not saying I know everything there is to know but ?????????? chain Here's a good picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (48.2 KB, 1006 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 12-16-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/148f85bdbae5115c?projector=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Can you post up some pics?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbiltsteve View Post
My swing arm is cracked at 2places 1is at the weld of the axel and the rail and above at the other weld of swing arm . Has anyone herd of this ? Please any info can help me . Kawasaki is not honoring there warranty on this saying lack of chain maintenance caused this !!!! ( WHAT ) I've had motorcycles all my life and did all maintenance . ( I'm not saying I know everything there is to know but ?????????? chain

Are you just talking to your dealer or someone above them?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Garage
If you are an american, you could blow the wistle to that organisation that govern transport (DOT, NHTSA, ???) and regularly denounce unresponsible manufacturer for not recalling defect that's putting american life in jeopardy

Or maybe the treath of that could make kawi move ...

LOP
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
How would Kawasaki know that there was not proper chain maintenance? Did they send an inspector? This is just the dealer? If you can't get them to honor the warranty, do not buy a swingarm from that dealer. Tell them if they can't get it covered under warranty you will take it elsewhere to get the work done.

Why are they saying improper chain maintenance cracked the swingarm? Is there evidence of the loose chain slapping the swingarm?

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:38 PM

first step would be getting a second opinion
second would probably be a call to the kawi headquarters above the dealership
third might be a letter from a lawyer
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah. What everyone said. I find it very hard to believe that a loose chain could slap the swingarm enough to crack it. I run my chains very loose on my track bikes and it hasn't even caused a scratch. Conversely, running it too tight.... I think you'd notice a handling /binding problem. I suppose a super tight chain could maybe cause damage, but that's a long shot.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 AM

I'd think a loose chain would eat its way through the chain sliders and into the aluminum a bit, at the worst. I cant imagine a scenario where a loose chain would cause aluminum to crack though

Unless they're trying to say that the chain ate through the swingarm, weakening it and causing it to crack due to less material being there? In which case, lol
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
We have yet to see this alleged cracked swingarm on the Peterbilt, er, Versys....
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
We have yet to see this alleged cracked swingarm on the Peterbilt, er, Versys....
This might be like a previous post " Epic------------------Problem", that just fades away, off in the sunset
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

On mine, those are some pretty beefy welds. Hard to see how I could get them to crack, short of a collision. Bad chain maintenance? Ok... perhaps, by having your chain run over by a truck, while still attached to the bike...
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
On mine, those are some pretty beefy welds. Hard to see how I could get them to crack, short of a collision. Bad chain maintenance? Ok... perhaps, by having your chain run over by a truck, while still attached to the bike...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Garage
Maybe he is trying to buy a use swingarm, and afterward, bang some crak in it to show us ...

Sorry, could not resist with all the hoopla
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Looking at the photo, wow. Write them a letter, explaining that you are going to forward that pic along to the NHTSA, and Momma Kaw will gladly swap you for a new swingarm. Their alternative would be a recall to check everyone's swingarms for cracks. Safety issues get a heck of a lot of attention these days, and law firms get moist in the crotch when things like this arise.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As I suspected, it is cracked but as a result of an accident, or some type of abuse... Just look at the missing chunk inside, and the bend in the swingarm. What we're missing is the rest of the story.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
it looks like someone shoved a metal rod into your sprocket or something to cause that grove in the swing arm a few inchs befor the crack
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:23 PM

I need to see a better picture of the crack but looking at the gouge in the inside of the swing arm and the mark on the sprocket that seems to line up with the gouge, I think someone has been prying on it for some reason or something got caught in it.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Some sort of road debris landing at the perfect place/time to be caught and raked across the swingarm by the sprocket? the sprocket damage does appear to line up.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Kinda looks like the damage that would happen IF one of the sprocket bolts 'backed-off'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Real Reason ? We Have a Winner Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
As I suspected, it is cracked but as a result of an accident, or some type of abuse... Just look at the missing chunk inside, and the bend in the swingarm. What we're missing is the rest of the story.
If you continue in this thread, you will read what the OP really did. Last Edited by Onewizard

+1

Maybe someone, when trying to undoing the front sprocket nut, used a small metal bar instead of a wooden block through wheel.

As only on one side and not through the rear wheel, the bar jammed at an angle and wrecked the swingarm due to excessive sideways point loading.

Swing arm now ruined / junk

at

Last edited by onewizard; 12-16-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode