Solved the bouncing Speedo with a new chain. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Solved the bouncing Speedo with a new chain.

I had a problem with the speedo bouncing up and down a couple of MPH while checking the VSS I found my chain was on it's last legs So I order a EK 520-SRX. 16t front sprocket I had already. Got a hold a friend and went over to his house to use his new compressor and impact gun today to get the nut off, zipped right off, I was worried after reading all the stories here. When I cut the OEM chain off I was amazed how bad it was. There were two runs of 10-15 link that were all tight and tight links all over the place. Yes I did clean it and lubed it with chain wax weekly. I pulled the front sprocket off and after a bunch of fiddling around got the 16t on. I then dropped the rear wheel and flipped the rear sprocket. After installing and adjusting the chain I went for a ride. First thing I noticed was the bike was much smoother. Second thing was the speedo was "Fixed"! Steady as a rock again! I guess the chain was so bad that it was messing up the pulse the VSS looks for? I know it's only about a 500 rpm drop but the bike seems more relaxed at 65-70 MPH cruising. I have a 44t rear I can install but think I'm going to send it back and get some other goodies! I worry that it might drop the revs just out of the the fat part of power band as I'm just over 5,000 at 65 mph now. I did that on the KLR by putting a 16t on the front and drop 3t off the rear. I had to "Row To Box" to get up hills I could just power up before. Lesson learned.

I have the same EK 520-SRX chain on my KLR and it's got over 22,000 miles on it and still going strong The DID on the Versys had a bit over 19,000 when it started giving me fits. The only thing I don't like is the EK ships with a clip type master link so you have to order a rivet master link extra.

I am going to look at a different type of lube as the wax makes a big mess that's big pain to clean up.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Garage
Nothing wrong with clip type master link they have worked for almost 100 years
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes I know and I never have a had a problem with one BUT I have the chain press and would rather use a rivet type now if I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Nothing wrong with clip type master link they have worked for almost 100 years
Crikey, you're older than I am! Oh wait, that was clip type master links, not you.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Crikey, you're older than I am! Oh wait, that was clip type master links, not you.
Who you callen' old Whippersnapper?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 PM

How does a digital speedometer bounce? Does it flash from 50 - 60 mph? I just replaced a toasted chain this spring, and had nothing like what you are describing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's likely an electrical problem, caused by a poor or dirty connection at the speed sensor... Was there much metal shavings on the speed sensor?

Last edited by invader; 09-28-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Who you callen' old Whippersnapper?
Older than Time hiself?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Typically you feel that creepy pulse at 40-45 mph and that is an easy clue that the chain has some spots that are no longer "flexy".

I was going to say "stiff spots" but figured you's guys would be all over that.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
"flexy".

I was going to say "stiff spots" but figured you's guys would be all over that.

I'm more surprised that nobody went here..http://www.teaandsnippets.com/wp-con...oratSpeedo.jpg

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode