Oxford Heated Grip Install Issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
jman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oxford Heated Grip Install Issues

A few weeks ago I installed a set of Oxford Heated grips (great product, by the way), and did so directly to the battery. Although they claim to have a shut-off function to prevent battery draining if you forget to turn off the grips, they do indeed drain the battery to the point of requiring a jump. Not so great!

I've just ordered an electrical distribution plate through Twisted Throttle (https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trad...view/2186/621/). Has anyone had any experience installing this specific plate? I like the "posi-locks" found on Eastern Beaver's website (http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...posi-lock.html) to tap into the rear light, but need to know what size the connector wire is. Has anyone used the posi-locks in this install with Twisted Throttle's plate? I know there are a number of threads on this general topic.

Thanks!
jman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Member
 
healdem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
A few weeks ago I installed a set of Oxford Heated grips (great product, by the way), and did so directly to the battery. Although they claim to have a shut-off function to prevent battery draining if you forget to turn off the grips, they do indeed drain the battery to the point of requiring a jump. Not so great!

I've just ordered an electrical distribution plate through Twisted Throttle (https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trad...view/2186/621/). Has anyone had any experience installing this specific plate? I like the "posi-locks" found on Eastern Beaver's website (http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...posi-lock.html) to tap into the rear light, but need to know what size the connector wire is. Has anyone used the posi-locks in this install with Twisted Throttle's plate? I know there are a number of threads on this general topic.

Thanks!
I've never understood the AWG system, but then we don't use AWG in the UK (unless we 'have' to). you've got two wires sizes to work out / plan for

the battery connection, via the solenoid/relay needs to be around 1.5 to 2 times the expected load on the circuit.
the 'sense' wire (the one that connects to the the switch side of the relay) is quite small after all the relay sense cirucit is several hundred milliamps at most, so a fairly small wire will do the job (certainly no more than 1amp. it should say on the base of the relay what current the device draw and from that get a wire that is at least 1.5 to 2 times that current

sorry can't be of more help, as it all depends on what relay you use and what devices (and what current they use) you plan to run off the plate
healdem is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
I've never understood the AWG system, but then we don't use AWG in the UK (unless we 'have' to). you've got two wires sizes to work out / plan for

the battery connection, via the solenoid/relay needs to be around 1.5 to 2 times the expected load on the circuit.
the 'sense' wire (the one that connects to the the switch side of the relay) is quite small after all the relay sense cirucit is several hundred milliamps at most, so a fairly small wire will do the job (certainly no more than 1amp. it should say on the base of the relay what current the device draw and from that get a wire that is at least 1.5 to 2 times that current

sorry can't be of more help, as it all depends on what relay you use and what devices (and what current they use) you plan to run off the plate
Thanks Healdem! You warned me about going directly to the battery! Too bad Oxford's claim to cut them off does not hold water.

Twisted Throttle's setup looks good and well sized. I've got a message into them asking about the size of the switched wire and if their kit comes with the connectors or not.
jman is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Member
 
doink1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, Maine, US.
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Me too!

Hey there; I'm glad you posted this. I bought my Versys used with a set of Oxford heated grips already installed, and I haven't killed my battery yet, but I am annoyed that it doesn't shut off with the ignition. I wouldn't have known about Twisted Throttle's solution if you hadn't posted it, and it looks pretty sweet. Please let us all know how it works out.

On a related note; I took my V out on a very cold day here in Maine last month, and noticed that if I rode with the grips set at 100% heat, the grip would slip loose from the throttle tube, gradually rotating back towards me.

I posted a question about fixing this problem and got some good answers here:
<http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6409&highlight=Oxford+heated+grip >
You may want to check this out before you install them.
Having said all that, I absolutely LOVE them!! I can't believe I didn't spring for heated grips years ago!

Cheers, Chris
doink1968 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Close to the SWAMP,FL
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey Chris, where in Maine are ya?
FLA-V is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey Chris-

Glad you found the post of interest! I'll be sure to let you know how the install goes. Twisted product was cheaper that Eastern Beaver, and seemed a little cleaner. The grips really are wonderful. I went into work the other day when it was about 15. With my hand guards (Barkbusters) and the heated grips, my hands stayed warm.

I also bought the distribution plate so I could wire in other stuff such as my gps.

On the slipping of the grips on high, I did notice that once and still need to run a bit of the glue they came with around the end of the grips.

Bloody cold in Nashville tonight--a low of 10! Very cold for us and makes me glad I don't live in Chicago where I grew up!

Cheers!

Joseph
jman is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Member
 
A2RON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed a set of Oxford grips over the Holidays using the Fuzeblocks accessory powerbox I installed last October.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5571

I installed the grips on to be "switched" on the Fuzeblocks position so battery drain isn't an issue.

The grips have been great in the 300 miles I've put on them-highest 100% setting is even too warm and that is with weather in the high 20's-low 30's since late December... and I don't have handguards.

My Oxford set, has the new controller, says that they automatically shut off if battery voltage drops below 11.6 volts. Not a problem since I've got them only powered when the bike is on, but is a 11.6V reading on a battery still enough to start the bike?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
A2RON is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2RON View Post
I just installed a set of Oxford grips over the Holidays using the Fuzeblocks accessory powerbox I installed last October.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5571

I installed the grips on to be "switched" on the Fuzeblocks position so battery drain isn't an issue.

The grips have been great in the 300 miles I've put on them-highest 100% setting is even too warm and that is with weather in the high 20's-low 30's since late December... and I don't have handguards.

My Oxford set, has the new controller, says that they automatically shut off if battery voltage drops below 11.6 volts. Not a problem since I've got them only powered when the bike is on, but is a 11.6V reading on a battery still enough to start the bike?
Apparently not. It happened to me twice thus far. It makes an initial cranking sound, then the dreaded clicking sound of a dead battery.

One not if this ever happens to anyone, you should NOT jump a bike with the host car running. I've been told it can fry the electrical system. I wish I did not know this in a way! With the car off, you connect the positive clamp to the positive terminal ( a bit tricky with large clamps) then the negative to the frame of the bike.

Best to all!

Joseph
jman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome