Cycle World's fix for V suspension - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cycle World's fix for V suspension

In the Feb '10 issue of Cycle World, in their long term test of the Versys, they took their V to the local suspension expert (Lindemann Engineering, www.le-suspension.com) for tweaking the suspension.

Lindemann first suggested some high dollar fixes, front and rear. CW "passed because the original equipment isn't bad". So "Lindemann proceeded to work his magic with simple adjustments. In the end, he turned each fork preload adjuster out two turns, dialed rear preload to the softest setting and cranked the rear rebound adjuster to full fast (soft). Didn't sould right to us, either, but it worked pretty well, improving ride quality and boosting rider confidence on twisty roads."

When the snow melts here, I plan on adjusting the shock rebound adjuster to full fast, and see what it does. (I made the other preload changes the first week I had the bike, a couple of years ago.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM

After reading the article I set my suspension up the same way.
Lots of snow here right now, so it will be a while till I can try it out.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

I have had both preloads at the minimum for some time. Will move the rear rebound to min now.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM

So where does Lindemann adjust the front rebound? Or did the suspension master miss that somehow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM

He felt the front rebound was a pretty good compromise for the Cycle World riders' weights and riding habits.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM

yea, going to no preload is the only way to make the rear shock tolerable for my sensitive hindquarters, but I still use a bit of rebound. I'm using 8w oil in the front now, may try 5w next time with an even lower level, but the stock front does seem workable, in a "not ready to spend $800 on racetech fork mods" kinda way.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegrider View Post
He felt the front rebound was a pretty good compromise for the Cycle World riders' weights and riding habits.
A pretty good compromise, set how?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Related question: Will it be easier to adjust the rear preload with the bike on the sidestand or on a service stand?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Related question: Will it be easier to adjust the rear preload with the bike on the sidestand or on a service stand?
Using a preload spanner, I don't think it will matter. Just leave it on the sidestand.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 AM

is the article online?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
is the article online?
Not yet.

I wonder how much Lindemann weighs, and what conditions he rides in ... For me (190 lbs solo, no gear), #3 rear preload is as compliant as I can get without bottoming out hard on stiff dips in the road/offroad. It works well with 12 clicks out on rear rebound damping. Forks at 3 turns out from maximum preload is also just enough support to prevent bottoming out with heavier 15W fork oil, with 7/8 turn out rebound damping. (I needed maximum preload with stock 10W fork oil, 1/2 turn out rebounddamping.) That also gives me adequate suspension sag of 40 mm front, and 48 mm rear.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Hey, Bones; sorry about the delay. I was watching the ballgame.

Preload at 1-3/4 to 2 turns out. 1-3/4 turns is supposed to be factory stock for a 150 lb. rider. Most of the guys at Cycle World fall around that range, and most of the riding was done on fairly well paved roads. For those of us that are heavier, we will need to experiment further. But their adjustment gives and idea of the direction to be headed.

Heavier riders on rougher surfaces will definitely need to maintain more pre-load.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Not yet.

I wonder how much Lindemann weighs, .

+1

would'nt rush out and copy unless your the same weight/riding style/personal preferences.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegrider View Post
Hey, Bones; sorry about the delay. I was watching the ballgame.

Preload at 1-3/4 to 2 turns out. 1-3/4 turns is supposed to be factory stock for a 150 lb. rider. Most of the guys at Cycle World fall around that range, and most of the riding was done on fairly well paved roads. For those of us that are heavier, we will need to experiment further. But their adjustment gives and idea of the direction to be headed.

Heavier riders on rougher surfaces will definitely need to maintain more pre-load.
Thanks. With all my gear and soaking wet I might make the 150 pound mark, barely, so factory settings would seem to make sense, but overall the softer settings have gotten more positive feedback from riders. I plan to soften up the rear a notch or two...and as soon as it stops being winter in New England I'll take it for a ride!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM

The long term wrap up was interesting. They added a windscreen deflector and a performance muffler. Maybe an earlier review addressed the buzzing cowl. I wonder
if they noticed the low gearing and speedo inacuracy? Still, good to see they still liked
the Versys, calling it the best "bang for the buck" around.

My Album:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
In the Feb '10 issue of Cycle World, in their long term test of the Versys, they took their V to the local suspension expert (Lindemann Engineering, www.le-suspension.com) for tweaking the suspension.

Lindemann first suggested some high dollar fixes, front and rear. CW "passed because the original equipment isn't bad". So "Lindemann proceeded to work his magic with simple adjustments. In the end, he turned each fork preload adjuster out two turns, dialed rear preload to the softest setting and cranked the rear rebound adjuster to full fast (soft). Didn't sould right to us, either, but it worked pretty well, improving ride quality and boosting rider confidence on twisty roads."

When the snow melts here, I plan on adjusting the shock rebound adjuster to full fast, and see what it does. (I made the other preload changes the first week I had the bike, a couple of years ago.)
These settings don't look right...

With gears, I weight around 175 pounds... A friend of mine adjusted my suspension for me when I first bought my bike, preload in front is fine but he increase rebound to 9 1/2 turn (less rebound), rear preload to 6 and rebound stay the same... We did the suspension measure with them fully extended and with me on it and all that...

I like my new settings much better compare to factory setting, I ride lots of canyons...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 01-09-2010 at 03:36 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
The long term wrap up was interesting. They added a windscreen deflector and a performance muffler. Maybe an earlier review addressed the buzzing cowl. I wonder
if they noticed the low gearing and speedo inacuracy? Still, good to see they still liked
the Versys, calling it the best "bang for the buck" around.
To my recollection, none of those items were mentioned in the previous updates.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
To my recollection, none of those items were mentioned in the previous updates.
Thanks John. I just read the article at the bookstore while drinkin my coffee, too cheap to buy the mag. Hey, if you decide to add Missouri to your rides map, send me a message. There are fantastic roads here in southern Mo, northern Ark, after the snow melts!

My Album:
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Thanks John. I just read the article at the bookstore while drinkin my coffee, too cheap to buy the mag. Hey, if you decide to add Missouri to your rides map, send me a message. There are fantastic roads here in southern Mo, northern Ark, after the snow melts!
Thanks for the invite. I want to head that way someday. This summer looks pretty full already but it is on my ride list. I also want to get to Barber Motorsports in AL! How close are you to that?

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM

I wonder if the front preload is 2 turns out from the stock setting of 7 turns, or 2 turns out from full stiff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode