Air Filter headaches - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
Air Filter headaches

I used to ride a Kawasaki KLR 685, and put 88,000 happy kilometres on it.

I found out that the stock shock wasn't up to off road jumps, and good air caused my swing arm to break my exhaust and caused a nice little air box fire that saw me purchase two air filters, one to go in the bike, one in a zip lock baggy on the shelf ready to swap in. Eight fasteners and ten minutes later I'd be mailing off my fingers and ready to ride.

Enter the Versys. Omg! What a nightmare in comparison!

K, so it's done and behind me, and I thought all was well until a buddy pointed out an oil leak at a traffic light. Oil seeping out down my head!

I got a light and checked gaskets, looked for loose bolts and agonized over how much I could afford to put into a top end repair...

Until I saw the stubby plastic airbox overflow outlet, and confirmed it was full of oil and the culprit. Whoo! That was a tense moment!

I moved recently and had my mineral spirits and Bel Ray foam air filter oil in my brothers garage miles away, so being the MacGyver that I am, I used Coleman camp fuel to wash the foam filter and rinse, then some Shell Rotella Synthetic diesel oil to soak the filter with. Squeezed out the excess, and installed it back into the airbox, then took my sweet time putting Humpty Dumpty back together.

One stupid hot day and a 100km ride later, and the excess oil drained out of the filter into my air box and onto the head. Doh!!!

Life is an adventure, and so is working on my motorcycle. Lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 06:57 PM

I feel your pain. I change the air filter on the KLR while the oil drains. On the Versys it takes a good hour and a half to do the air filter. Plus you have to be so careful with the fuel pump outlet as you do NOT want to break that think $300.00 to replace the pump.

The KLR may be a Fat Little Pig BUT it easy to work on.

BTW I wrap the filter in a old towel and roll it on the floor with my weight on it to squeeze out all the extra oil I can. Look crazy but it works.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
I did that to get the camp fuel out!

I miss that KLR at times.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode