Clutch Not Engaging - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch Not Engaging

Happy New Year!

I was riding to work today and realized my clutch was not engaging and figured I might have knocked my lever out of adjustment. After playing with it on the fly to no avail I could see the cable could be pulled by the lever but that the cable seemed disconnected/unsprung and would not return the lever to the engaged position. I had to push the lever forward to engage the clutch and even then it would slip as revs climbed. I looked down and could see the cable was still connected but it just would not snap back as it should.

I changed my oil the weekend before last (10w-40 valvoline motorcycle oil) and have ridden regularly since then with no problems. I had last ridden on Friday about 125 miles with no problem and there was no moisture so I don't think there is any ice in the cable (bike is kept in unheated garage). It was 21 degrees when I set out this morning and it was still not acting normal after my 20 minute ride to work. I last lubed the cable in September...could that be an issue? Thank you assistance as always!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM

your cable is binding in the housing ... it could be for various factors ...

frayed cable ... replace cable
moisture in cable housing ... lube with wd40 to displace moisture and lube cable
lubed cable with to heavy lube ... re lube with wd40 or equivalent
dry cable ... no lube ... lube with wd40 or equivalent

Last edited by freewheeler; 01-04-2010 at 10:16 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Check that it isn't bond up in the retaining loop on the triple tree. Mine got a kink in it from the retaining loop and started acting up and well as making slow right turns tough.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2&postcount=10
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...5&postcount=15

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 01-04-2010 at 10:27 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Mine did the same thing when I was riding in about 15-20 degree weather. I was in stop and go traffic and noticed that my bike didn't want to wait. Luckly after I started going again the clutch starting acting normal. I haven't experienced it since. Maybe it doesn't like the cold???

Ahh, Earth Day, the only day of the year where being able to hacky-sack will get you laid.
-Jon Stewart
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Guess I should have paid a little more attention to the posts. I had the same problem on Monday 01/04 on my drive to work. I started a new thread just 30 minutes ago........................

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=6570

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM

In the past I used wd 40 for linkage but after the freeze in kansas , gun oil.for cables engine oil at oil changes.
oh wd 40 is made of solvent and mineral oil,as in baby oil and wd40 is short for Water Dispersant - 40 th experiment. made for corrosion coating rockets in the 50's.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 AM
djg

Quote:
Originally Posted by briconner View Post
Experienced the same scenario. As it turned out, I needed to replace my clutch cables since I think they were already worn out. I just ordered online and got it delivered.
So is a first post with a link to jc whitney some of that sneaky spam we have seen of late? I squawked it as spam and let the admin decide.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah that is a spammer again, posing as a forum member... He will be prosecuted real soon. There's only one clutch cable.

It could be a cable problem. I did reroute mine properly, although A2RON did have a problem with the disengagement mechanism at over 13000 miles on his '08:
"... we looked at the clutch release lever/shaft assembly (IPC-13102, Grid B-12) under a magnifier and saw sharp edged burrs on the shaft’s notched area where it contacts the clutch’s internal push rod (IPC-13116, Grid B-12) stem that moves the clutch plates back and forth to disengage/engage the clutch."

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=6570

Last edited by invader; 10-30-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode