how accurate are the axle nut marks? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how accurate are the axle nut marks?

In regards to alignment after chain adjustments. The owners manual and I believe the service manual both say to use the marks or the "string method." Granted, I'm not totally sure what the string method is, but I assume there is a measurement you can do between the nuts and the hinge point on the swingarm

I used the marks last time, but are those marks the best way to align?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM

The marks are not very accurate.

The "string method" aligns the rear wheel with the front wheel not the swing arm pivot. The "string" can be just about anything that is straight. Over the years I have found the most convenient "string" to be two 8' fluorescent tubes attached to the rear wheel with a couple of big rubber bands, one in front of the rear wheel and one behind. Center the front wheel between the tubes.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Ohhh....so you're aligning the wheels and not so much the rear wheel in the swingarm?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Yes, the string method aligns the wheels.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Here's a nice piece of kit that takes any uncertainty I used to have right out:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0048-Chain-Alignment/dp/B000GTVOJQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410273491&sr=8-2&keywords=motion+pro+chain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
you can get one of these cheap from riders discount......https://flic.kr/s/aHsjB9SY5Y

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info....turns out I had alignment ability the whole time in the form of a laser

image hosting no registration

free photo hosting

If all I have to do is align the sprocket with the chain then this should work out fine. Wasn't using the laser on my circular saw, and it displays a nice line, so I attached it to an old tripod. Of course, I have to do it in low light, and as I adjust the nuts I have to keep adjusting the tripod but it should be a true adjustment

What do you all think?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Axle nut marks accuracy varies... Adjustment marks on swingarm are exactly 5mm apart. My axle's right side has to be about 2.5mm ahead of left side's adjustment reference mark to be properly aligned.

Last edited by invader; 09-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
...I used the marks last time, but are those marks the best way to align?
Nope.

Here are pics of the "marks" on my '08 AFTER aligning w/ the Motion Pro tool.

There's a pretty large disparity, side-to-side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02791 copy.jpg (70.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02792 copy.jpg (64.6 KB, 103 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Nope.

Here are pics of the "marks" on my '08 AFTER aligning w/ the Motion Pro tool.

There's a pretty large disparity, side-to-side.
Your camera's reference angle is a bit more off on the left side, but it looks like yours is about 0.4 of the distance between 2 lines (2mm) ahead on the right side. My error is in the same direction, at about 0.5 of the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm)... So my rear wheel was about 0.5 degree toe to the right with axle marks aligned.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Your camera's reference angle is a bit more off on the left side, but it looks like yours is about 0.4 of the distance between 2 lines (2mm) ahead on the right side. My error is in the same direction, at about 0.5 of the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm)... So my rear wheel was about 0.5 degree toe to the right with axle marks aligned.
Yep- Same here. Used the axle marks, and found a noticeable front wheel shake. Got the motion pro and now it tracks perfectly straight, but the axle marks don't quite agree...

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Use the motion pro tool, and the marks on mine are pretty spot on.

I dunno..

Hooligan
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

here are the axle 'lines' on my '09. As you can see - one is about 1.8 "units" while the other is 2.5.

Not even CLOSE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9110494 copy.jpg (59.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P9110495 copy.jpg (57.4 KB, 69 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
here are the axle 'lines' on my '09. As you can see - one is about 1.8 "units" while the other is 2.5.

Not even CLOSE!
Well I am currious as to how you lined up the wheel. My method wouldn't work as I measure the distance using verniers of the adjusting bolt, inside measurement, then match both sides at the same distance.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-11-2014 at 06:31 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Well I am currious as to how you lined up the wheel. My method wouldn't work as I measure the distance using verniers of the adjusting bolt, inside measurement, then match both sides at the same distance.
You have to make a choice between aligning the 2 sproket or the 2 wheel

Then, if you choose the sprocket alingment, you have give priority to the straightness of the chain, not the poistion of axle mark

It cannot be expected that both side of the rear swingarm to be perfectly the same dimension, some part are welded on the cast aluminium. Further more, a little bend here and there renders the whole thing untrue

I think that those axle mark are good for gestimating the process, but you have to fine tune with proper method

My 2 cent

LOP
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 PM

I aligned the rear sprocket with the front with a straight edge, which also aligned rear wheel with the front... Now I know my axle has to be half the distance between two lines on the right to be aligned, so I can still use the adjusstment marks for reference.

Last edited by invader; 09-12-2014 at 09:11 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Not even CLOSE!
I'm not seeing what you are, I guess. The left axle plate mark is showing about 2.8 from the adjustment screw while the right is about 2.3. So it is pretty close as you are probably "eyeballing" the alignment gauge. I bought the same alignment gauge and found that using my caliper was pretty accurate. Before I bought and used the gauge I did this; I set the chain slack first, measured from the end of the plate on the left to the end of the axle, and used the adjusters on the right to match it. I found that, while close, the marks were not the same. Only when I started using the gauge did I feel that I was hitting the mark...pun intended. The measurements were the same both ways.

That all being said, because the gauge is based on sight, I wish there was a better, cheap way to check. The thing is that you have to move your body to adjust the wheel after you "sight it in". There is no way you can get to the exact same spot.

I guess the question becomes how good is good enough?

Last edited by david3921; 09-13-2014 at 11:58 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 AM

The straighter, the better.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Here's how:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09502 copy.jpg (60.1 KB, 76 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode