Speed-o-Tack Mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speed-o-Tack Mod

What I'd like to see on the V:

The info panel should have a brightness adjustment--anyone know how to make this happen? I think it would be an improvement in that outside the city the glare / lack of contrast would be reduced and road vision increased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It is possible to replace the speedo/tach led's for brighter and/or colored ones, as have been done to ER6's in the French Kawette forum.

Last edited by invader; 01-05-2010 at 04:56 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Well, the simple solution is to put a variable resistor or potentiometer inline with the LED's but I don't know what the circuit looks like. It may be more difficult in practice due to each of the LED's may be on separate circuits. The other issue is finding the right pot as far as how it turns, mounts, and the resistive value.

Invader, as you've seen the circuit board, do you see a common lead (positive or ground) that could be tapped into so that pot could be added easily?

Edit: Whoops, I think you're talking about the LCD instead of the LEDs, correct? If the LCD uses an EL panel that is much more difficult to adjust.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.

Last edited by acinonyx; 01-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM

They're all LED's. "To access LED's under the soldered LCD panel, LCD contacts have to be heated to lift the panel."

SMD LED PLCC2 (Surface Mount LED, Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier): http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

http://www.led1.de/shop/index.php?cN...acca9db98a3dd3

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Inclu...=SMD+LED+PLCC2

The four LCD panel LED's are seen lit in blue here on upper portion of photo:

Last edited by invader; 01-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM

OK. now for the potentially stupid answer...
could you make some sort of glare reducer out of an old computer monitor glare reducing cover and attach it somehow that you could flip it down at night to darken things up a bit? sort of like sunglasses for the info pannel to be worn at night only.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 PM

According to electrical section in repair manual, the indicator unit's illumination light (LED) and LCD display are powered together in common with the main ignition circuit.
Your monitor glare reducing cover sounds like a good idea, Mawson...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Hummmm, I've dealing with so many old bikes lately and didn't even stop to think the dash light might already be LEDs.

I ordered a couple of 1194 for the tag and front parking light and 4 1156 in amber for the blinkers I just need to check the blinker flasher as I might have one of those in the "Box 'O Stuff"!

All kind of goodies live in there I was looking the other day and found a pair of Cibie driving lights (no not Oscars) I bought for my Buell. It didn't take long to realize they drew to much juice at 55 watts each. But I saw a H3 LED bulb that draws 3 watts and put out a mess of light so I order a pair. I wanted to save as much power as I could to drive them and may in up going with LED head light bulbs to save even more.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM

pots on low voltage led's are a recipe for disaster, just like any time you undervolt led's without knowing a lot about the led in question and/or its power and heat capabilities.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't see any issue with leaving them stock. No visibility problem. Unless your riding in the smog or it's raining locusts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
speedometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode