My tire opinion - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My tire opinion

The 021s are as good a tire as you need. They stick as good as any of the other sport touring tires except maybe the Contis but the 021s last a while longer. They are better then the Stradas when it comes to lasting and working in the wet. I am an aggressive rider so my tires do not last as long as most. The only tires that will out last the 021s are the Avon storms. The Avons are the best tires out there but they want a big price for them. I can buy the 021s from Chaparral for 187.00 shipped to my door. A real bargain. I have tried ever tire that is made and the 021s are my pick for price, wear and performance. This is just my opinion ,I am sure others have different opinions. I ride almost everyday in all types of weather. Mostly in the mountains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:02 PM

MR,

Ditto, I've been running them since spring.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Mountainrider,

Wonder if you ever try BT016? They are pretty good and sticky tires, but don't know how long it will last for you.

I am currently using BT003RS, good tires but for me but only last about 3500 miles, for you probably less..

I will be buying new tires soon, probably in the next 2, 3 weeks or so... Probably give contimotion a try since they are so cheap... I might even try bt016 or bt021 in the future...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Mountainrider,

Wonder if you ever try BT016? They are pretty good and sticky tires, but don't know how long it will last for you.

I am currently using BT003RS, good tires but for me but only last about 3500 miles, for you probably less..

I will be buying new tires soon, probably in the next 2, 3 weeks or so... Probably give contimotion a try since they are so cheap... I might even try bt016 or bt021 in the future...
The 016s are great tires but are sport tires and therefore are soft. Will not last very long. People think that if you own a sportbike you need sport tires. The truth is a sport touring tire is all the tire you need for the street. Very few riders will push the limits of any of the modern touring tires. The Conti Motions are cheap and grip like glue. They also wear out very fast or did for me. I liked them because the side walls were soft and riding on dirt roads was so nice with the Motions. The 021s are stiffer and a bit harsh on the dirt but will get you there just the same. You really cannot go wrong with any of the new tires. The Shinko Ravens work great and are cheap. Some people complain about the front tire having a heavy feel to it but after you use it for a while it goes away. Stanley uses the Tomahawk tires and gets great service out of them. They also feel heavy but you just get used to it and ride on.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

great info, thx for sharing.

i mostly sport ride with mine, on the very aggresive side too.
i do run down dirt roads, and those Conti Motions sound perfect for this.
when the dirt roads have that washboard effect going on, it kills my back.

how much better are these compared to the stock tires ?

i was going to wait till these stock tires where wore down a little more before i get new ones.

but i'm going to be hitting it real hard in the spring.
if those Conti Motions are much better, i better do the switch now then.

appreciate your help,

dave
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

The Contis are a lot better then the stock tires. Matter of fact the Contis stick so well that you will gain a lot of confidence. I have used sport tires that did not stick this good. Even with my feelers off I could touch the foot rest down with no problems. I hated to quit using them but I just wanted longer thread life. I really enjoyed my time on the Contis.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrider View Post
The Contis are a lot better then the stock tires. Matter of fact the Contis stick so well that you will gain a lot of confidence. I have used sport tires that did not stick this good. Even with my feelers off I could touch the foot rest down with no problems. I hated to quit using them but I just wanted longer thread life. I really enjoyed my time on the Contis.
thx so much for your input.

how many miles are you talking about getting out of these tires.

dave
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch View Post
thx so much for your input.

how many miles are you talking about getting out of these tires.

dave
That depends on riders. One guy said he got about 10,000 miles on the stock tires and rides hard. I did not get 2000 miles out of them. I also did not get but 1800 miles out of the Motions. You might get 6000 miles ,who knows. We are all different. I do get about 4000 out of the 021s but most people get double that. Do not know what the difference is from rider to rider but there are a lot of difference. I pretty much stay on the throttle all the way through a corner where some people just floats through them. Been trying to make some changes to get better tire life but it just does not work for me.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 PM

what depth in the tire groove i'm i looking for to see how wore out my tire is ?
i have 2700 miles on my stock tires, so this wil tell me alot then....

also, are you getting any longer life out either the front or back on the Conti Motions ?

i think i'm going to give these a try.
i like the sound of the softer side wall and ride.

my back/spine issues get high priority in everything i do, need to be able to keep riding, and my back dictates this.

dave
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I also have a bad spine. Fused together in the upper part of my back. Even some nerve damage. The back tire is gone maybe 500 miles before the front. I have noticed that motard type bikes like the Versys tend to wear the rear tire out in the center even if you use a lot of lean angles in the corners. Why I do not know. The stock tires are pretty hard so I would not expect the Contis to last as long. I hope I am helping but please remember that this is my experience and it may not be the same for you.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM

your info is very helpful.

i understand the difference in riding style and wear.

thx bud,
dave
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM

MR,

4000 miles on your 021's?!

You must really get into them. I have that plus 500 more on mine and it looks like I'll get at least that much more out of them. The stock tires I only got about 3500 miles out of them.

If they do get an East Coast Rally going and it is late May or early June I have to see if I can keep up with you. If not I'll be down there sometime this summer riding near your neck of the woods in SC and and possibly northern GA. We planned on heading back home on the BRP. We've never come from the south and ride it north. So that will be a first.

Maloy

Quote:
That depends on riders. One guy said he got about 10,000 miles on the stock tires and rides hard. I did not get 2000 miles out of them. I also did not get but 1800 miles out of the Motions. You might get 6000 miles ,who knows. We are all different. I do get about 4000 out of the 021s but most people get double that. Do not know what the difference is from rider to rider but there are a lot of difference. I pretty much stay on the throttle all the way through a corner where some people just floats through them. Been trying to make some changes to get better tire life but it just does not work for me.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Maloy just let me know when you are in the area. I will take you on some great rides.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Maloy just let me know when you are in the area. I will take you on some great rides.
i want to go too!

Maloy, where are you at in Ohio ?

i'm trailering my bike this spring to ride SE Ohio, then heading south, then east towards you mountainrider for lots of riding.

dave
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Come on down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM

I have noticed a great deal of difference in the life of my tires depending on the road surface. The more granular, the more wear, and the more traction. I live in Missouri and the roads here are dirt (very few), gravel (few), asphalt, or concrete. Most of the state and county roads are asphalt. When I have vacationed in Arkansas they have a road surface that is brown in color rather than the black of asphalt or the grey of concrete. It sure has traction but each time I go if my tires aren’t brand new I always have to replace them while there. I’ll probably average about 1500 miles in state when on vacation there.
Does anyone know what they call that road surface? I wish it was used here. More fun!
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm right off I77 about 26 miles south of Canton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch View Post
i want to go too!

Maloy, where are you at in Ohio ?

i'm trailering my bike this spring to ride SE Ohio, then heading south, then east towards you mountainrider for lots of riding.

dave

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

My experience is that sport touring tires have the grip for most any aggressive street riding.They are that good.Sport tires have some extra grip but the cost of low mileage isn't worth it.Also,wet grip is where the sport touring tires are going to be better most of the time,and most folks are going to hit some wet roads.If have a supersport bike and plenty of money,maybe I'd think a little different.

Keith
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM

I got a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart's. I only put about 500 miles on em' b4 I put the V to bed for the winter. My initial impression is that they are a very neutral tire that slows the side to side transitions down a bit (less nervous, falling into a corner), compared to the stock tires. Time will tell on the longevity. Can't wait for spring!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 AM

I will be putting on Contimotion next week. I hope it will go at least 5000 miles... 6000 miles, I will stick with conti forever Btw, I got contimotion F and R tires with installation for $190 (tax included)

I might try BT021 next if not happy with contimotion.

Just FYI, my OEM Dunlop lasted 4200 miles, BT003RS lasted about 3800 miles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode