Versys VS VStrom - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys VS VStrom

Hi, new to the site because I am considering the purchase of a 09 Versys and I am doing my research. I am considering the purchase of a Vstrom 650 as well.
If there is anyone who has experience with both bikes I would appreciate any info on good points and bad in comparing both bikes.
Leaning more towards the Versys because I like the looks better. The Vstrom seems top heavy. Can't test drive them with the weather as it is right now. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM

I haven't owned a V-Strom, but this guy has:

http://www.verlenelson.com/Motorcycles/index.html

Four of them, actually, as well as a Versys and about 40 other bikes. Great site to lose yourself in for a few hours.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM

I have had em both. Liked them both. My Vstrom 650 was totalled when my truck got hit. It thru bike from back of my bed. Needless to say it was a total loss. I have another bike that I have had for 25 years that I started riding again and put off buying a new bike for awhile.

I did consider buying another because I liked it so much. I had a KLR 650 before the Vstrom 650. I went to the Kawi dealer to look at the new KLRs when I saw the Versys.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. There may be a few more aftermarket stuff for the strom than the V since they have been out longer.... Both ride great, tour well, good power. I like the Vstrom's headlight better...I like the Vs handling a little better....The Vstroms seat from factory sits great.... The Vs power is maybe a little stronger midrange....

Kinda tit for tat. Looks like the Vstroms are holding their money a little stronger used than the Vs from what I have seen.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 AM

Apples and oranges

I've ridden both and like them equally. My buddy has the Strom and it's an incredible ride. Performance is very similar with either bike - so little difference that I think that the rider would make a lot more difference on a curvy road than the choice of bike would. The Versys seems to be a little quicker handling, and may be since it has a much shorter wheelbase. The longer wheelbase of the Strom though, makes it much better for two-up riding and the slab. The Strom comes with a 19" front wheel, which makes it a bit better on rough dirt roads, but it also slows the handling slightly (very slightly) on the tarmac. The Strom is quieter with stock exhaust and as mentioned earlier, the stock seat is much more comfortable that the board on the Vee, but that's easily and cheaply remedied.
In cold weather, my buddie's Strom is a lot more comfortable than my Vee. He has handguards and a Cee Bailey windscreen and you feel like you're really protected from the elements when the temps drop. I've also got the VStrom handguards and Cee Bailey windscreen on the Vee and it's really helped, but it still doesn't protect me as well as on his bike.
The Strom looks as though it's a lot heavier and bulkier, but once underway, it handles every bit as easily as the Vee. The Vee is a wheelie treat - roll-on 'happy hops' are really easy in first gear and by shifting weight to the rear in second gear, longer sky grabs are easy and controllable.
Now the next one is strictly a personal observation, and not based so much on actual experience as simply a feeling that I have about the two bikes. There is something about the Strom that gives you the feeling that it's 'carved from stone', while to me at least, the Vee feels a bit more like the Ninja that was my last ride. It's good, it's really fun, but if I had to choose between the two bikes for an around the world ride, I'd go for the Strom. Maybe it's just because Suzuki has had more time to work out all of the bugs, but man, that bike feels solid.
Hands down though, I think that those two bikes are the best bargains on the market today. You won't go wrong with either one. Both have a huge variety of after market goodies available, a wide-spread dealer network, and they both sport engines that have been around for years and that have a terrific rep for reliability. Both bikes have forums dedicated to them, and both forums provide a well-informed and helpful community of riders. I'm even thinking about picking up a used Strom to back up my Vee as a 'project' bike.

One more little thing - I really do like the looks of both bikes - there is something really appealing to me in the looks of a bike that will do damned near everything but cook my dinner for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM

I did a test ride of the strom before I bought the Versys. I felt that the strom pushed way more, but I was used to a sportbike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 AM

At V-strom a heap of constructive advantages before Versys. And on the contrary at Versys only one - the smaller price (in Russia), but it to the relation design, like, has no...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode