What's up with my Speedo? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's up with my Speedo?

Noticed today that the speedometer was counting up and down about 1-3 MPH at a steady state cruise. I'm not even sure where to start on this one. I can only guess the VSS is the problem BUT I am not a fan of the old "Throw a bucket of money and hope it goes away" school of wrenching. I plan to pull it and clean it up tomorrow as I'm sure it'll be covered in chain wax. I'll check all the wiring I can as well. If the problems not there I suggestions on where else to look?

BYW The bike runs fine no problems at all. My 2 buds on their H-Ds have a hard time keeping up with my "Little" bike at times. I tell it's NOT power, It's power to weight.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-30-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I think you are heading in the right direction, my only concern would be if it was coming loose and being hit. Other possibility is metal deposit in wax travelling around on the pulse rotor, this would mask the individual pulses at higher rpm
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I think you are heading in the right direction, my only concern would be if it was coming loose and being hit. Other possibility is metal deposit in wax travelling around on the pulse rotor, this would mask the individual pulses at higher rpm
I didn't even think it could just be loose. I'll find out tomorrow.

I had a rough day. The face shield on my HJC has a lock latch on it. I was making a run to the pet store and went to open the shield for a bit of cool air and it popped off. So I had to run to the Motorcycles shop and buy another as I couldn't keep it closed and opening it was a PITA. That's when I noticed the speedo. First I drop $50.00 on bird food then $35.00 on a face shield. At least gas has gone down a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...First I drop $50.00 on bird food then $35.00 on a face shield. At least gas has gone down a little.
MAYBE stop feeding your bird....

407guy and whiting57 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Eddie, you know not what you say...they'd likely eat ME!

I pulled and cleaned the VSS but no real change. I need to get a 10 ohm resistor and test it as per the shop manual it looks like. I did check the battery and grounds everything's tight. So this could be a fun one as I'm not spending as cash until I KNOW what's going on. The VSS is almost $100.00!

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
speedo???
http://www.speedousa.com/product/ind...24331.18908536

quexpress likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Now I gotta bleach my eyes.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Eddie, you know not what you say...they'd likely eat ME!

I pulled and cleaned the VSS but no real change. I need to get a 10 ohm resistor and test it as per the shop manual it looks like. I did check the battery and grounds everything's tight. So this could be a fun one as I'm not spending as cash until I KNOW what's going on. The VSS is almost $100.00!
Just in case it was a typo on your part, the resistor is 10,000 ohms or 10K ohms, the test described is a bit of a sloppy test as it assumes you are using a anologue meter. You are looking for a pulse or meter deflection whenever ferrous metal passes over the sensor. Myself I would be checking the frame ground connections and the waterproof joint, couple ways, one is to check the socket at the sensor, black / yellow wire using ohms to your negative battery terminal. The other method would be to use volts dc and measure from your positive terminal to the black / yellow wire, you should read full battery voltage.

There are some other tests involved using a adapter and spinning the wheel, you could always use a bit of telephone wire, slip it into the test points to measure according to the manual, since I very much doubt any of us has a adapter like that, something that would need to be ordered and almost as much as the sensor.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:25 PM

It's too late to be useful for the original poster but this is maybe useful for somebody else.

If the chain is stretched unevenly the measured speed will oscilate making it imposssible to hold the speedo at a fixed speed.

So if you notice that you can't hold a steady speed on your speedometer and the speed jumps up and down by one or two miles, then it's time for a new chain and sprockets.

Last edited by Murquiza; 05-09-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Typos
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you sure your actual speed and engine rpm are holding steady, while your indicated speed gradually varies up and down by about 1-3 mph? Are you talking about ~75mph cruising speeds on variable grades and in variable winds? Are you blacking out sporadically or mildly incoherent, and releasing the throttle intermittently? Could it be a bit of a lean surge?

Last edited by invader; 05-09-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:21 AM

I had this exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago right after putting on a new chain.

First I unhooked the battery. When I unhooked the battery I tied the negative and positive cables together with a zip tie then wrapped them with a rag. I proceeded to turn the key to "on/off" then pressed the start button a few times. I repeated the key on/off a few times and pressed almost all the dash buttons and handlebar controls with the key set to on. Think of it as you are draining all of the electricity out of the bike where it can be stored.

I then let it sit like this while I clean up the whole front sprocket area which didn't look to bad. By the time I was done cleaning the front sprocket area about 20min. had passed.

I then hooked the battery back up and let the bike idle up to temp. I took it for a 30min. ride in which the speedometer was back to normal.

I haven't had the erratic 1-3mph swing (within 1sec. mind you) since I did the above steps. This is also good for vehicles and also a good first step in troubleshooting strange electronic issues. I do this every oil change to clear out the on board computers "driver learned history" to make them more responsive.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

Last edited by Minnesota; 05-10-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I had this exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago right after putting on a new chain.

First I unhooked the battery. When I unhooked the battery I tied the negative and positive cables together with a zip tie then wrapped them with a rag. I proceeded to turn the key to "on/off" then pressed the start button a few times. I repeated the key on/off a few times and pressed almost all the dash buttons and handlebar controls with the key set to on. Think of it as you are draining all of the electricity out of the bike where it can be stored.

I then let it sit like this while I clean up the whole front sprocket area which didn't look to bad. By the time I was done cleaning the front sprocket area about 20min. had passed.

I then hooked the battery back up and let the bike idle up to temp. I took it for a 30min. ride in which the speedometer was back to normal.

I haven't had the erratic 1-3mph swing (within 1sec. mind you) since I did the above steps. This is also good for vehicles and also a good first step in troubleshooting strange electronic issues. I do this every oil change to clear out the on board computers "driver learned history" to make them more responsive.

Hope this helps!

-Nick
Very interesting. How did you manage to come up with that procedure? It sounds like the electrical version of wringing water out of a sponge. Electricity is magic to me so things that work, regardless of the technical details, fascinate me.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Electricity is magic to me so things that work, regardless of the technical details, fascinate me.
Arion - THAT is the reason why you should put those "child-proof" thingees into EVERY electrical outlet in your home. OTHERWISE you could wake-up early, then while walking barefoot step into a 'puddle' of 'lectricity that has leaked-out onto the floor during the night...! You might end up "peeing" yourself which would ADD to the discomfort....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Arion - THAT is the reason why you should put those "child-proof" thingees into EVERY electrical outlet in your home. OTHERWISE you could wake-up early, then while walking barefoot step into a 'puddle' of 'lectricity that has leaked-out onto the floor during the night...! You might end up "peeing" yourself which would ADD to the discomfort....

Is THAT what those pluggie things are for!?!? I've had it wrong all these years. Rats again!

Arion

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Another Electrical expert

Quote:

Hope this helps!

-Nick
, put a smile on my face, thanks!! BTW if you want a explanation, just ask, nothing magic about electrons to me.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Very interesting. How did you manage to come up with that procedure? It sounds like the electrical version of wringing water out of a sponge. Electricity is magic to me so things that work, regardless of the technical details, fascinate me.
This trick works with a lot of commercial electronic gizmos so I figured I'd give'er a go.

I work in IT but a lot stuff is over my head when it comes electronics. I do know getting enough gigaberts and megaberts with the ones and zeros in the correct order works, if you try hard enough, sometimes....

-Nick

Last edited by Minnesota; 05-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
This trick works with a lot of commercial electronic gizmos so I figured I'd give'er a go.

I work in IT but a lot stuff is over my head when it comes electronics. I do know getting enough gigaberts and megaberts with the ones and zeros in the correct order works, if you try hard enough, sometimes....

-Nick
Oh, I love that - "if you try hard enough, sometimes. . . ." That's great!

Arion

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I do know getting enough gigaberts and megaberts with the ones and zeros in the correct order works, if you try hard enough, sometimes....

-Nick

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage
Hi Time,

Did Minnesota's "trick" work?

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Noticed today that the speedometer was counting up and down about 1-3 MPH at a steady state cruise. I'm not even sure where to start on this one.

This guy has the same problem - only bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode