Rear shock questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear shock questions

I've been riding my '08 Versys for several years and I'm considering upgrading the rear shock. Maybe the Progressive 465. This shock is offered in standard length and 1" lower ride height version. The "1 inch lower" one has reduced travel (stroke) when compared to stock.

I am trying to decide which I want.

If I bought the "lowered" one, I would also lower the front by about 7/8" by adjusting the triple clamps on the front end. I would think that this would improve cornering feel when riding the twistys (not on a track). If I did this, how much would I be sacrificing the comfort level when commuting or touring?

How much would I be sacrificing handling in the corners if I bought the standard length 465?

How much better is either of the 465's than the stock shock?

Is the 465 shock so superior to the stock shock that even the shorter one would be more comfortable when commuting/touring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
How much better is either of the 465's than the stock shock?

Is the 465 shock so superior to the stock shock that even the shorter one would be more comfortable when commuting/touring?
Bill (Buckeye) can answer your questions, but here's MY shot: the stock V shock is made to be OK, while the aftermarket ones are made to be PDG (at a price that Kawi will NOT build into our bikes). I know that Bill LOVES his 465 and said it transforms his V, as do my R1 shocks. They're not ONLY more comfortable - they are SUPERIOR in all ways!

- -

I can NOT imagine riding w/ the stock shock anymore...! BTW - Bill initially tried to go w/ an R1 shock, but it turned out to be from a year that will NOT work on the Vs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Ya well here goes. I do love my 465 because it is a real shock. Locking ring preload for unlimited adjustment, easy dial-in rebound adjustment and gas filled. That being said the R1 is arguably a better shock and you can then use a custom spring sized to your needs. The problem of course is that you need to be a bit mechanically minded to put it together and install. The 465 is just plug and play with minimal installation effort.

The 465 only comes with a 16+kg/mm spring. I talked to the factory and they said everything is a compromise and the 16 is necessary to work at the limits of the bike's Gross Vehicle Weight(heavy loads, pillions, etc.) and yet provide adequate feedback across a variety of rider weights. I got them to admit, however, that not loading the bike to at least 175 lbs. would be "less than optimal." ???

So, I've been riding for a while but really don't consider myself the one to ask about real performance characteristicts. I would buy the 465 again in a heartbeat, though.

But while we are on the subject, my wife asked me what I wanted for my 70th birthday so I blurted out that a set of customed sized RaceTech progessive front springs for the V would be nice, thinking I could bargain down from there to something she would actually buy. Well, she agreed on the spot, so I think I now have a motorcycle and wife for life.

Now performance wise I really can tell the difference with the RaceTechs. Considerably less dive on braking, no more wallowing, and more secure in the twistys.

My $.02 and hope I haven't confused the issue.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
GOOD post Bill...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great topic, I was considering what the options may be myself while the bike is being disassembled over the off season.

I found this,

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...5-series-shock

Is there another option for a better price, or is that the norm for these?

There site says "FROM: $495.95"

Smart looking set up.

Thanks

Paul
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Yeah, there are cheaper options, you can snag R1 shocks all day on eBay for $50 or less. $500 for a new shock set up for the bike is pretty cheap, all things considered

2009 Versys 650
1975 Kawasaki F11 250
1972 Suzuki RV90
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks!

I did some digging, this looking better than suggested retail,

$371 new/free shipping.

It's the specific stock# for a Vers (2008 and more)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-...09282f&vxp=mtr

You sometimes see where guys are looking for a used stock rear for their VERS, perhaps the "take off" stock shock has at least some value.

Anyone????
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Amazon sells them too.
http://smile.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-Series-Monotube-Shocks/dp/B00BRAQTK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415391748&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+465-1182

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet deal too!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode