Chain adjustment bolt - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain adjustment bolt

After installing my new rear sprocket today I managed to break off one of my chain tensioning bolts. I drilled it out and tapped new threads. I am embarrassed to ask but what are the bolts made of? Plain steel, stainless steel or other? I know they go into the aluminum swingarm? I am off to the local hardware store to buy new ones and want to make sure I purchase the right ones. I am no mechanic but the pleasure get out of doing these minor repairs is tremendous.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Many reports of broken chain adjustment bolts lately, more if you're near the salty ocean. Oxidation makes the bolt tighter over time as it's not rotated often, and it's exposed to moisture in the swingarm. They're not stainless steel, but they should be. Anti-seize compound should be applied to the threads when it's still new... It helps to retap aluminum bores to clean and sharpen the threads.

M8 x 45mm bolts and nuts available in polished Grade 316 stainless steel, or titanium:

http://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless...-2-x-nuts.html

http://www.probolt-usa.com/vaf/produ...F&prodtype=513
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Invader for your reply. I certainly do live right by the mighty Alantic ocean everything rusts here. We have a saying. "We don't tan, we rust!" Off I go to purchase stainless steel bolts and anti seize.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Did I need a new sprocket?

two years on the aluminium sprocket. I think I needed to replace it!! Then new one cost $55.00 for OEM from the dealer. OEM is steel and much much heavier. I am curious to see how long it lasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140828_172835.jpg (68.5 KB, 79 views)

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You shouldn't waste aluminum on sprockets you're not racing with.
It should be used for producing more cans of stout.
The steel sprocket will last several times longer than the aluminum (depending on your maintenance habits).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
...OEM is steel and much much heavier. I am curious to see how long it lasts.
51,000 miles on my '08s OEM rear sprocket, reversed once at 29,000.

49,000 kms on my '09s OEM rear sprocket, reversed once at 39,000.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I never thought of reversing the sprocket to extend its life. Never heard anyone mention it before. Thank you for the wonderful tip. I will do it yearly. Something else I learned from this forum.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:34 PM

Garage
... so I guess we can reverse the front sprocket as well? (Mine is a 16 tooth aftermarket and does not have the rubber bushings)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM

The front sprocket has been thru about 3 times the abuse of the rear sprocket.
If I'm going to go thru that much work I'm going to throw in new parts and be done with it.
We all have our own priorities and it's your toy to play with as it pleases you.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaylin View Post
... so I guess we can reverse the front sprocket as well? (Mine is a 16 tooth aftermarket and does not have the rubber bushings)
From what I can read on this forum about the removal of the front sprocket and that crazy hard nut, changing it might be a good idea after all the effort it took

Get it close to failure and then buy another one ...

My 2 cent

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 09-02-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Garage
I can confirm with how hard that nut was to take off, I didn't have any power tools to remove it. I only had a breaker bar. It slipped and slammed into my leg leaving me with a giant bump on my shin..... maybe I'll just leave it on there now
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 AM

In most cases it takes a breaker bar and a length of pipe to loosen that nut the first time.
I don't understand the reason for the problem..you torque it & have a deformed sheet metal lock washer splined to the shaft. It may just be a sad, cruel joke.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaylin View Post
DON'T reverse the front sprocket! It wears at, roughly, THREE times the rate of the rear sprocket.

On the '08 I changed out the front sprocket at 29,000 miles, and on the '09 at 39,000 kms, BOTH coincidentally w/ reversing the rear, altho' in the spirit of 'openness' - actually the reversing of the REAR was coincidental w/ the REPLACING of the FRONT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Chain adjustment bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
In most cases it takes a breaker bar and a length of pipe to loosen that nut the first time.

I don't understand the reason for the problem..you torque it & have a deformed sheet metal lock washer splined to the shaft. It may just be a sad, cruel joke.

We are not the problem. But if you are attempting to undo that front sprocket nut for the first time - you have to undo what the 3 Sumo dudes did when they tightened it at the factory.

I thought I might be lucky and not have a problem like all you northerners with snow and salt and corroded bolts etc. but no I had 4 Sumo dudes tighten mine up.

Note that even the service manual says to put moly grease on the threads. My factory grease was still present so my nut was not rusted on and should have been easy to take off but it was way over tightened at the factory by those 5 Sumo dudes.

Last edited by Gigitt; 09-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Garage
On my KLX250 I ended up taking it to the dealer I could not get it undone even with a breaker bar. The Versys I didn't even try.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
two years on the aluminium sprocket. I think I needed to replace it!! Then new one cost $55.00 for OEM from the dealer. OEM is steel and much much heavier. I am curious to see how long it lasts.
Dude, that sprocket was WAY past it's best buy date! I'll bet that the chain was spinning around it if you didn't ease off the start line.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Dude, that sprocket was WAY past it's best buy date! I'll bet that the chain was spinning around it if you didn't ease off the start line.
Reminds me of my F7 sprocket in jr high...only time my buddies could beat me!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode