Lean backfire during throttle blip - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lean backfire during throttle blip

Having an issue where I get a lean backfire into the throttle bodies when the throttle is blipped at low RPM's like during a downshift. The delkevic slip on i installed has made it a bit worse, but not by much. It did however die at a light when I gave it a quick throttle to take off. It wont happen when I'm smoother with the gas, but it seems like this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to go through and check for air leaks, but I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks. It's a brand new bike, and I dont want to ruin it by running it lean.

It also tends to surge a whole lot at constant throttle- another symptom of a lean fuel condition.

The bike has pretty much been doing all this from the start. The only think I have seen to scare me, is a bunch of fibers from the air filter inside the airbox, but they are on the outside, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2014 Versys ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 PM

How much time did you spend on the dyno to determine it was lean?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

No time on the dyno, or any other diagnostics for that matter. My last bike had 4 carbs, so I'm used to reading the signs. Maybe it's just FI that I'm not used to. The surging is a bit frustrating after having such a smooth 4-cylinder bike, but maybe it's just part of the game. I feel like it's a bit worse than when it was new, but I can't say for sure. After 2nd gear it's not a problem. It would be nice to have it a bit richer at the 3-4K range just so I can maintain a constant throttle without jerking around.

2014 Versys ABS

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 AM

I think this is just a fuel injection issue compounded by the emissions standards. My bike is the same, did you notice if you slam the throttle shut in first and back open the bike wheelies right up no clutch necessary. Its not pretty but its a wheelie. I have found that if I play the clutch more than some other bikes I have owned I can stay out of the low speed surging and pulsing keeping in the rev range the bike likes. This technique has taught me some tricks on my Buell 1125CR also, surging is neck snapping on that bike down low. An option would be a Power Commander V or a 3 which you might be able to find cheaper as 3 is discontinued I believe.

Anyone try a 2Bros Juice Box they look interesting and claim to accept PC maps.

Last edited by nic579; 08-24-2014 at 06:08 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Have you tried rotating the main throttle sensor 0.5mm clockwise to richen the fuel a bit?

What year mode V?
You in Cali.. so you have Cali model with emission box on Left side?
Do have a O2 sensor on this bike?

My Mk2 2012 model has an O2 sensor ha terrible surging @~3000. I have put on a PowerCommander5 + autotune O2 sensor and my surging issues have gone.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You mean you found a problem that duct tape or WD40 wouldn't fix?

I thought you would spray WD40 around the intake and listen for a change in RPMs and then apply duct tape to stop the air leak.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

THE THING IS ALREADY COVERED IN DUCT TAPE!

And my chain failed after 500 miles because I used WD on it...

I think I may try the TPS adjustment, because at least its free and reversible. Has anyone done it using a multimeter? I'm curious to know what kind of numbers I should be looking for as far as CHANGE in voltage.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, also bike is a 2014 California model. No 02 sensor but it does have the emissions canister. It's green, so it's the fast one.

2014 Versys ABS
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had the Delkevic Mini 8's on my FJR popped like a popcorn machine on Decel. Took them off and put the stockers back on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I rotated my main throttle sensor counterclockwise just enough to have voltage output at WOT within spec. This raised idle position voltage output just a bit over spec range. It adds enough fuel at low throttle opening to also cure the lean stumble at near 2,800 rpm.

Have you not already sealed off your PAIR valve first?

Last edited by invader; 08-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

No, I need to plug all that up, but there was a pretty big earthquake here today so most of the stores are closed to clean up. I'm going to get that all blocked off as soon as I can.

That shouldn't change the measurement coming from the sensor though, right?

2014 Versys ABS
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM

No... Which sensor?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The TPS. Like, even if my PAIR valve is still installed in tact, it is not effecting an adjustment of the TPS.

2014 Versys ABS
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Of course not. All the main throttle sensor is doing is monitoring main throttle opening position.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM

Glad you're doing OK otherwise. It's all over international news on TV. Largest earthquake in 25 years in the San Francisco Bay and Napa area. 6.0 on the Richter scale... Did you sustain any damages beside some inconvenience?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, it was definitely intense. Almost threw me out of bed 27 miles away from the epicenter. I spent all day at the winery where I work unstacking barrels which had tumbled over. The whole time hoping there wouldn't be another aftershock. Each one weighs 600 lbs full, so it could definitely make your day worse. It blew out all the locked doors and emptied all of the cabinets of their contents. Crazy stuff for such a "small" quake.

Sounds like everyone is okay- for the most part- though.

2014 Versys ABS
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
On the evening news that I watch, they said that this quake was at 6.1 on the Richter scale, and that the one 25 years ago which was at 6.9 (or 6.7?) was TWENTY-TWO times more powerful.

HOLY SH*T BATMAN!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Just an update...

I backed the TPS the bare minimum...like .25mm. I could barely tell that I moved it. The bike seems to run much smoother. Next step is to block off the air injection system to see if that clears it.

2014 Versys ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode