i screwed up my swingarm. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
i screwed up my swingarm.

I am an idiot i will admit.

I was backing out the bold that keeps the chain tight and the wheel straight on the chain side of the swing arm and it sheared the bolt.

At this point there isn't a way to get the bolt out but I was thinking maybe a self tapping bolt? I am at a loss on where to go from here.

I also dont want to ride with that bolt not there and I dont have a spacer at this time. Short of replacing the swing arm, what options do I have?

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would use some penetrating oil and a left or reverse drill bit to get the fastener the rest of the way out of the swingarm. You can buy reverse drill bits at ACE hardware and other such places. Make sure it is small enough to drill into the fastener without damaging the swingarm threads.

Then buy a new 8x40 fastener and be careful next time.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

I thank god for my welder often, especially in cases where I have a seized bolt in aluminum. Stick a nut on the end zap it on with the welder and the heat loosens the threads too boot.

But if you are risking damaging the actual swing arm and lack the skills to get this done properly it might be cheaper in the end to have a shop do the extraction for you.

I will take this as a hint to get some anti-seize on mine.

Last edited by nic579; 08-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Garage
How about helicoil ?

LOP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
I just ordered a retapping set from amazon to repair the bolt. Should work well... Thank you for the advice all, I tried a reverse drill bit and it broke the bit (ugh). I don't know what is causing it to not come out but I couldn't even get the broken bolt to go forward and just let it sit in the swing arm.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM

If its just the bolt frozen in the aluminum you don't want to drill it. It's an easy fix for someone with the tools and know how, EASY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 PM

Took me a while to image what was going on with the bolt. But now, I get it. Try penetrating oil and let soak, then use heat gun (hair dryer) to heat up the Al to expand it (Al expands greater than steel, and hopefully it will loosen up the threads contact), and try not to heat up the bolt, and then use the reverse drill bit on the bolt?

I think Galling took place between the 2 sliding surfaces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode