Grip Puppies with Oxfords? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grip Puppies with Oxfords?

I have searched here, but haven't really found a conclusive answer; I have Oxford heated grips- If I put grip Puppies ove them, will I still feel warmth through them when I need it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Although I don't have heated grips, I do have Grip Puppies. They are thick enough that they might reduce the warmth you feel through them. That's nothing more than an assumption however.

You might take a look at www.originalbeemerbuddies.com and click on Installation Guide to watch the installation videos. (His product is similar to Grip Puppies and is supposed to reduce vibration as well as provide a thicker grip.) The guy is standing in the snow while he demonstrates the installation process. And, as I recall, his bike has heated grips.

Although the product was originally made for BMWs, he lists a number of bikes the product will fit, including the Versys.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 08-20-2014 at 10:19 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM

I've used grip puppies over a different brand of heated grips. Definitely made a difference--it took longer to feel less heat. When I was commuting regularly I finally removed them.

There's a similar product that claims to insulate less than the GP. On the downside, it wraps around the grip (with velcro I think) and has a seam. Seems to bother some, not others. In the right position, doubt it would bother me.

I've been using tennis racket wrap over my Oxford grips. Not as nice as grip puppies, but better than nothing, and haven't noticed an effect on the heating.

Last edited by davidg; 08-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about a long trip (for me) from Denver down to Albequerque towards the end of September. My grips make my hands numb after just an hour or so of riding- don't know what 8+ hour will feel like!
I need something to cushion the vibration, but I might also need the heat during the early part of the day.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I'm thinking about a long trip (for me) from Denver down to Albequerque towards the end of September. My grips make my hands numb after just an hour or so of riding- don't know what 8+ hour will feel like!
I need something to cushion the vibration, but I might also need the heat during the early part of the day.
JMO....anything you cover the grips with to kill the vibration will also prevent the heat from coming thru. This may be the time to explore heated gloves (kill two birds with one stone).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
My hands used to go numb on my Suzuki Bandit, till I realized that the "angle" was wrong for me. I changed to 'drag-bars' on risers and the problem was GONE!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 04:22 PM

I put grip puppies over my Oxfords trying to lower the vibe's (which they did), but it made the grips way too big for me...I took them off pretty quick, never tried them with the grips turned on, it was this summer.

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:20 PM

I have grip puppies over my Oxfords. If there is a heat reduction, you won't notice it.

Thanks,
Mo
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 AM

If those are those $6 foam grip covers, Cycle Gear rep said they are hard to glue properly without tearing up in the first place. Next, you'd be stretching the 7/8 dia to 1" dia if they don't have 1" size. SO you have to be real careful not to screw them up.

Plus as already mentioned, you'd be going to 1-1/8"DIA (Andre the Giant) grip size with 1" heater grips plus grip puppies too. And after all that, you may reduce the heating capability based on several different factors like gloves, grip, heaters, temp, etc...

I was going to do the cheap foam grips temporarily until I got my heated grips, to relax to the 1" diameter grip to reduce palm cramps, and Cycle Gear said they had a lot of problems with gluing them on. Fortunately Kawasaki grips (compared to painful BMW grips) can be held like a cruise control by holding the far end of the throttle next to the immovable bar weight; and it takes grip pressure off that causes cramps: but I still want the 1" dia Oxford heated grips once I do everything else and put a relay system on.

For me, the 1" dia is magical by itself in reducing hand cramps, that I used to use heated grips to help resolve. Unless you are Andre the Giant size, with 1-1/8" DIA size, the Vs. 650 is going to pull your hands off the grips: both of them! Heck, it happened every now and then when I had 1" grips on my Honda Nighthawk 750! ymmv
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:27 PM

I have grip puppies over my Oxford heated grips. Takes about 10 minutes for them to warm up, but through my biggest winter riding gloves they still get uncomfortably hot at highest level. Most days above 20deg 50%-75% does just fine for me. I can only think of a couple of single degree days that I used them at 100% for my whole 30min commute home. So they might take slightly longer to get warm under the puppies (though I have nothing to compare my setup to) but I don't think you'll be missing out on any heat!- Oh, and to the point made about grip thickness- I didn't get the impression that the grip puppies over the Oxfords were noticeably bigger then the grip puppies over the OEM Kawi grips. That said, I'm 6' 1" and tend to wear a L sometimes XL glove. I recall the grips seeming too thick when I initially added the grip puppies to the OEM grips long ago, but I got used to/fell in love with them soon after.

Last edited by goat12; 01-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have Oxford heated grips- If I put grip Puppies ove them, will I still feel warmth through them when I need it?
If you have the foil type heaters under the stock grips, then no, the warmth is greatly reduced (although I have Grip Buddies).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Read the instructions carefully before you make a decision. What you decide could affect the life the grips and their adhesion to the bike.

Mine specifically say to never have them on at a certain level above a certain temperature. There is probably a reason. You don't want them getting too hot.
The heat needs to sink somewhere. If you insulate the outside of the grips and wear thick winter gloves a lot of heat is going to get absorbed by the handlebars.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode