Lowering - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering

I recently purchase a 2014 Versys and ask that it be lowered. The rear was dropped about 1.5 inches. The front was not dropped. I would have assumed both ends would have been lowered. Is there any reason the dealer would not lower the front and back on a new sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I lowered my V with the Motowerk Lowering Kit also lowered the front. After a short time i raised the front back to normal. Liked it much better that way. If you want to drop the front....https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...Suspension.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
The front was not dropped. I would have assumed both ends would have been lowered. Is there any reason the dealer would not lower the front and back on a new sale?
#1 Maybe they didn't feel it was needed..

#2 Cutting Corners..

#3 Lazy..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
#1 Maybe they didn't feel it was needed..

#2 Cutting Corners..

#3 Lazy..
This.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 AM

I think the lowering kit may help after this weekend's ride. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam so touching the ground is not too much of a problem. But I am looking for a less harsh ride, lower center of gravity for those highway rides. So I am a little confused about the options listed in this thread. From what I can see the rear lowering kit (e.g. Speedy's) seems to be the way to go but what options should I look to do for the front? Or do I really need to do any front changes until I see what the rear lower kit does for me?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM

It's quite a bit more change, but you can replace the rear parts with Progressive Suspension parts. I THINK they also make a setup to lower the front.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 PM

You can lower the front very easily. (4) easy to get at bolts. On mine I marked the original position on the fork with a sharpie in case I wanted to set it back to stock. The service manual says it's 21 ft/lbs torque on these bolts. Section 13-10. Try it, you can always go back and it doesn't cost anything.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
You can lower the front very easily. (4) easy to get at bolts. On mine I marked the original position on the fork with a sharpie in case I wanted to set it back to stock. The service manual says it's 21 ft/lbs torque on these bolts. Section 13-10. Try it, you can always go back and it doesn't cost anything.

So should I do this in addition to the rear work (lowering kit or progressive suspension) or just by itself?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM

I think lowering the front alone will mess with the handling.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I think lowering the front alone will mess with the handling.
If you lower the front only, that will reduce the trail and possibly make the bike unstable. Tank slappers could be a possibility.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
If you lower the front only, that will reduce the trail and possibly make the bike unstable. Tank slappers could be a possibility.

Thank you all. I'll work with the rear suspension. I need a winter project and the progressive suspension might be a good option.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 AM

I have the Motowerk Lowering Kit and the dealer also lowered the front. I have since put 2100 miles on the bike with no ill effects. I am 100% street and have the rear shock set in the middle of the adjustment clicks. I weight 230 lbs and the bike handles great.

2010 Versys
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
So should I do this in addition to the rear work (lowering kit or progressive suspension) or just by itself?

You did say the rear has already been lowered right. The front does not go as far down as the rear kit, but it's close enough.
I lowered the front to keep the bike closer to stock level and look. However, thinking about Weljo and keeping his front end up. I wonder if that helped with the forward slide we get from the stock seats?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
Thank you all. I'll work with the rear suspension. I need a winter project and the progressive suspension might be a good option.

I am considering the 1" lower Progressive shock (and lowering the front end 3/4"). I noticed that the internet price on this shock fluctuates by $100 or so, over time. It's availability also appears to vary. I am in monitoring mode at this point. At the same time, I'm half considering trading my V in for a FZ-07 or a FZ-09. A new shock on the V would be a waste if I do this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Check out this months issue of Cycle World. They have a write up on both the FZ-7 and FZ-9. Basically they love them except for the suspension could be better. Sounds familiar. The FZ-7 caught my eye too.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I am considering the 1" lower Progressive shock (and lowering the front end 3/4"). I noticed that the internet price on this shock fluctuates by $100 or so, over time. It's availability also appears to vary. I am in monitoring mode at this point. At the same time, I'm half considering trading my V in for a FZ-07 or a FZ-09. A new shock on the V would be a waste if I do this.

Yeah I am in that same mode if I add more to my 2011 V or hold out on the 2015 V1000.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM

The shock swap or Motowerk kit are both easy jobs, and easily reversed. If you were gonna trade your bike later on the parts would easy to sell on this forum. It's pretty low risk to give it a try.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
The shock swap or Motowerk kit are both easy jobs, and easily reversed. If you were gonna trade your bike later on the parts would easy to sell on this forum. It's pretty low risk to give it a try.
That's what I was thinking if I want to revert I could probably sell either item. Motowerk kit looks simple to install. Wasn't too sure about the shock swap but doesn't seem too difficult either.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM

in both cases you have to support the frame with the rear tire off the ground, then pull the lower bolt for the shock. Then you either install the link or pull the upper bolt for the shock and swap it out. If you have the tools to do one, you can do the other.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
in both cases you have to support the frame with the rear tire off the ground, then pull the lower bolt for the shock. Then you either install the link or pull the upper bolt for the shock and swap it out. If you have the tools to do one, you can do the other.

Yes I have read that in both the Motowerk instructions and in this forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lowering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode