Checked at or before 15k miles and some were out of spec 12 33.33%
Checked at or after 26k and all were in spec 9 25.00%
Checked at or after 26k and some were out of spec 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Valve Check Results Poll

Hey guys, most of us know there is a discrepency for unknown reasons between the North American valve check interval of 15k miles and the rest of the world which has a spec of 26.6k miles. I am interested in seeing some results of riders who have checked valves at both intervals and the results, so please pick one and let's see the truth about the 15k need (or even a 26k need to check)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM

error on your info

My owners manual (canadian ) say 24k kilometres or 15k miles between inspections and since there's 1.6 km in a mile, that's equal btw...............
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for starting this poll. I'm approaching the point of a first valve inspection. If you don't mind mark11, I would like to suggest to responders to post only first hand experience with your bike, not "I have a friend of a friend who has a cousin who's valves were xxxxx xxxxx" THANKS!

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
Thanks for starting this poll. I'm approaching the point of a first valve inspection. If you don't mind mark11, I would like to suggest to responders to post only first hand experience with your bike, not "I have a friend of a friend who has a cousin who's valves were xxxxx xxxxx" THANKS!
Agreed 100 percent!

Scooter it has been well established that the North American Versys owners manual and service manual call for 15k MILE valve checks and the rest of the world call for 26.6k MILE valve check intervals, no one knows why for sure, theories abound, however this is NOT a mile to kilometer conversion issue.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Wow, 89 people have read this thread and two votes. Guessing a lot of you haven't hit either valve check interval yet, which is surprising since the bike has been around for 2 full riding seasons already.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:56 PM

My bike is no where near 14K miles but if the Yamahas can go 26K, there is NO reason the Versys can't!!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Just passed 21K but the engine works fine.
Will check the valves once at 24K. Marc11, Thanks for the question.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM

I just checked my valves a couple of weeks ago at 30,000 kms and all were within spec except two exhaust valves which were a bit tight, but not enough to bother with. It's a fairly easy procedure if you follow the steps in the service manual. However, my torque wrench betrayed me (at least that's the story I'm sticking to!) and I ended up breaking not one but two valve cover bolts when I was putting things back together. Got to practice my extraction skills. All's well now.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I just checked my valves a couple of weeks ago at 30,000 kms and all were within spec except two exhaust valves which were a bit tight, but not enough to bother with. It's a fairly easy procedure if you follow the steps in the service manual. However, my torque wrench betrayed me (at least that's the story I'm sticking to!) and I ended up breaking not one but two valve cover bolts when I was putting things back together. Got to practice my extraction skills. All's well now.
What were the two tighter exhaust valve clearance at?
Specs: Exhaust 0.22 ∼ 0.31 mm (0.0087 ∼ 0.0122 in.)
Inlet 0.15 ∼ 0.21 mm (0.0059 ∼ 0.0083 in.)

Valve (cylinder head) cover bolts are torqued to only 87 in·lb (7.25 ft-lbs). They can be tightened by hand (with ratchet or wrench) if you're handy with tools... Snug them up gradually in sequence, then tighten slowly, getting a good feel for the bolt.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
My owners manual (canadian ) say 24k kilometres or 15k miles between inspections and since there's 1.6 km in a mile, that's equal btw...............
fwiw
the 07 service manual suggests the service intervals for the valves are 42,000 Km 26,00Miles, except for CA (presume thats California) where its 24,000 Km or 15,000 miles

so in the spirit of the OP I'll let you know probably next year.....
mebbe mid summer...
mebbe early autumn...

Im guessign the variation in CA/California is to comply with some legal diktat on emissions.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
fwiw
the 07 service manual suggests the service intervals for the valves are 42,000 Km 26,00Miles, except for CA (presume thats California) where its 24,000 Km or 15,000 miles

so in the spirit of the OP I'll let you know probably next year.....
mebbe mid summer...
mebbe early autumn...

Im guessign the variation in CA/California is to comply with some legal diktat on emissions.
Interesting since the Versys wasn't sold in California until 2009.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

CA means Canada, we need to remember the USA is not the center of the universe...
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
CA means Canada, we need to remember the USA is not the center of the universe...
This is true, because I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
My bike is no where near 14K miles but if the Yamahas can go 26K, there is NO reason the Versys can't!!
Cross-brand comparison might be moot, but my Honda ST1100 also had a habit of not having the valves go out of spec (about 70k miles before adjustments needed). At every scheduled valve check you'd feel a bit silly, "ah, fell for it again!", because the clearances would be fine.
But checking and finding all is OK is still a lot better than for example burning a too tight exhaust valve.
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Interesting since the Versys wasn't sold in California until 2009.
good point, I keep forgetting that the Versys wasn't sold in the Boonies until 2008
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What were the two tighter exhaust valve clearance at?
Specs: Exhaust 0.22 ∼ 0.31 mm (0.0087 ∼ 0.0122 in.)
Inlet 0.15 ∼ 0.21 mm (0.0059 ∼ 0.0083 in.)
The two exhaust valves for cylinder 2 were somewhere between .15 and .20 mm (my feeler gauges go in .05 mm increments). My guess is closer to .20 because .15 was pretty loose. BTW, I didn't have any luck locating the marks through the site hole down near the crank, so I just made sure the cam lobes were pointing away from each other when I measured the clearances. Actually, what I should say is that when 1T appeared in the window the lobes were not pointing away from each other so I continued rotating the crank until they were. Invader, did you have any issue with that?
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The two exhaust valves for cylinder 2 were somewhere between .15 and .20 mm (my feeler gauges go in .05 mm increments). My guess is closer to .20 because .15 was pretty loose. BTW, I didn't have any luck locating the marks through the site hole down near the crank, so I just made sure the cam lobes were pointing away from each other when I measured the clearances. Actually, what I should say is that when 1T appeared in the window the lobes were not pointing away from each other so I continued rotating the crank until they were. Invader, did you have any issue with that?
You better make sure you have at least 0.22 mm on those two tighter exhaust valves, which usually tend to get gradually tighter. You can use two smaller feeler gauge sizes together (0.12 + 0.10...). I haven't checked mine yet, only at 7000 kms. You did the right thing though by assuring the lobes of the corresponding piston were pointing away from each other.

Valve Clearance Measuring Position-
#1 Piston TDC at End of Compression Stroke (all #1 valves closed):
Inlet valve clearances of #1 piston, and Exhaust valve clearances of #1 piston.
#2 Piston TDC at End of Compression Stroke (all #2 valves closed):
Inlet valve clearances of #2 piston, and Exhaust valve clearances of #2 piston.

Last edited by invader; 12-14-2009 at 11:42 PM.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You better make sure you have at least 0.22 mm on tose two tighter exhaust valves, which usually tend to get gradually tighter. You can usually use two smaller feeler gauge sizes together (0.12 + 0.10...).
This seems counter-intuitive to me. I would expect valves to loosen over time, why do you say they will get tighter? Smart suggestion on the feeler gauges, BTW. Next time.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

I've got 18k miles and havent done anything yet... I'm thinking I'll get mine checked somewhere around the 24k mile mark.
IS this something that should be taken to a mechanic, or is it doable for the home garage mechanic? I mean I have done all my own work till now, but have never checked valves before... though I am good at following directions.

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
This seems counter-intuitive to me. I would expect valves to loosen over time, why do you say they will get tighter? Smart suggestion on the feeler gauges, BTW. Next time.
Whatever pushes the valves down, wears away, so the valves get pushed down less which makes less of an opening, i.e. "tighter".
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Whatever pushes the valves down, wears away, so the valves get pushed down less which makes less of an opening, i.e. "tighter".
OK, that's what you mean by tighter. But doesn't it stand to reason that the wearing away will eventually result in the space between the cam lobe and bucket becoming greater, i.e., closer to spec? Must talk this over with some mechanic buddies of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode