Trying to decide on new tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trying to decide on new tires

First off....I don't want to start a new tire thread. I just need some advice on what other people are running on their V.

Second...I have looked through dozens of tire threads on this site, but still having trouble deciding. Too many choices and opinions out there.

Okay...here it goes. I am pulling the trigger on some new tires. My bike will be in the shop getting new sprockets and a chain installed and my wife suggested I go ahead and get new tires at the same time.

I am torn because I have read nothing but excellent reviews about the Michelin Pilot Road series (PR2's, PR3's and PR4's), but the Pirelli's seem like a good sport touring tire too.

I found a real good deal at Competition Accessories on a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires for $238 (Both tires). Thats not a bad deal considering a set of PR3's or PR4's would cost well over $300.

Does anyone have any experiance with the Diablo Rosso tires? If so, how many miles were you able to achieve from them? How were they in the rain/wet roads? Will they last as long as the Michelin tires?

I will be over in Germany next year and need a tire that will perform well on wet roads. This is where the PR3's and PR4's really shine.

One last thing, what is the biggest difference between the PR2's, PR3s and PR4's? Revzilla still has some PR2's on clearance in the stock size and I was thinking of picking them up.

I currently have the stock tires on my V and I have suffered through them mainly because I wanted to wear them out before replacing them. (Can't see buying new tires when I really don't need them)

Any and all advice is welcome.
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:00 PM

I went with PR4 but also looked at Pirelli Angel.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
...One last thing, what is the biggest difference between the PR2's, PR3s and PR4's? Revzilla still has some PR2's on clearance in the stock size and I was thinking of picking them up....
They MIGHT be rather old, hard tires....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
They MIGHT be rather old, hard tires....

Had PR2's on the FJR when purchased. Replaced them with PR4 GT's the bike handled so much better. Had 2 sets of PR3's on the Versys.. I would choose the PR3's or regular PR4's over the 2's

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM

I bought a pair of Rossis year ago for my Buell. Went to a trackday and wore those suckers slap out in a weekend! And I mean worn out...too the point I would NOT ride the bike home! They are almost a race tire and are made to stick like glue NOT last like iron.

Yea PR3 or 4 cost more but will last longer.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Bike came with Pirelli Scorpion. Seemed OK. Have now switched to PR4. Seem better. Strictly road use. Winter here is wet!

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM

I'm on Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires right now and they are excellent. They've come out with PR4s now and I would highly consider them for my next set.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 PM

I should have said I'm on PR2 on the Versys now and when they wear out in a couple of years I go with PR "Whatevers out" then!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM

I bought my bike used with the Bridgestone Battlax Bt-023's. They've worked well where I ride them - mainly city riding in all conditions. I've only done a couple rides over 150 miles however.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Well I went ahead and ordered a set of PR4's from Rocky Mountain ATV.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

Out the door, I paid $278 for the set. They also had free shipping.

I have never been to this site and lucked upon it when several other of my usual sites (Revzilla and Competition Accessories) were out of stock on the rear tire.

Thanks for all the advice. I am sure I will be happy with the PR4's

Jason
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Surprisingly I was talking with a good customer and friend today, hadn't seen in a year, got talking about my plugged tire, we both had Pilot road 2s, he just replaced his with a set of Commander 2s, says they are even better than the pilots. He does lots of riding, his daily commute is 300KM, they are made for the cruiser market ( which is what he has) and don't come in the size for the V, one thing that stands out is tar snakes and grooves in the road have no effect on the tracking of these tires.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-07-2014 at 11:07 PM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 PM

My month-old Versys came with Dunlop Sportmax tires, which are, by a wide margin, the stickiest tires on which I've ever ridden, in 48 years of motorcycling. I foresee that they won't be long-lasting, but the experience of having too much traction is marvelous.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I went ahead and ordered a set of PR4's from Rocky Mountain ATV.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

Out the door, I paid $278 for the set. They also had free shipping.

I have never been to this site and lucked upon it when several other of my usual sites (Revzilla and Competition Accessories) were out of stock on the rear tire.

Thanks for all the advice. I am sure I will be happy with the PR4's

Jason

www.JakeWilson.com is great also and Riders Discount will beat any deal you can find.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 AM

Garage
Love my PR2's, the Angel GT's I'm using at the moment are good however I prefer the Michelin's.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I just need some advice on what other people are running on their V.
after the OEM tires, I've used Metzeler Z8 (3 rear, 2 front) and Pirelli Angel GTs (1 rear 1 front) on the Versys. A new Angel GT rear gets installed next week.

The Z8s were very good. The Angel GT is better.

It's been something like 14k mostly freeway commuting miles on current Angel GT rear, and other than being squared off, it works as well as new. I could get more mileage out of it, but I don't know how much, and I'd rather replace it now than have it wear through the tread at an inconvenient time.

That's the most I've gotten from any rear tire on any bike. And I enjoyed riding it the whole time. It always seemed to grip well under power. It never got any funny wear patterns where the different compounds meet.

I bought more of the same, because it's the best tire I've had for my application (year-round riding, mostly commuting and similar, some fun rides).

Better than a Pilot Road 3 or 4? Some seem to think so, and others don't. You could buy one model now, a different model later and and see what you think.

OTOH if you go with PR2, be careful you don't get old tires.

It seems to me it's hard to go wrong with modern radials from reputable manufacturers in non-OEM models. Yeah Dunlop makes awesome rubber too--just not the OEM Versys tire.

Another tire I've considered is the Avon Storm 3D XM, which has a thicker tread in the rear for longer life, and it looks like it's on sale at Revzilla.

Last edited by davidg; 08-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM

I'm running the PR4s. I absolutely love them. As long as Michelin decides to make them, there will be no other tire put on my bike. Great Rain Traction, great wear, excellent grip when leaned over to the peg feeler.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 PM

PR4! 10,000-12,000 miles, great rain, sticky.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM

I can offer some feedback for DRII - they're fitted to my ninja 250.

My total riding experience has been on three sets of tyres and one bike, so please take that into consideration.

I think you'll get better mileage out of some of the other options you've mentioned. Never had a problem with grip in the dry on the DRII's, but in the wet they slipped a couple occasions at lean. The few times it happened I think there were contributory factors. I may have been too enthusiastic for the conditions also. Having said that, the tread pattern doesn't have that many grooves toward the edge of the tyre, so it could be they're not that good for the wet - I don't think its something I can evaluate properly given my experience.

as far as life, I would expect sub 10000 km on the Ninja but only just.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:45 AM

Got rid of the original Dunlops as fast as I could and went with PR2s for about 10,000 kilometers. Tires were ok (much better than Dunlops) but I wanted more after a while, so when the rear wore thin I got Pirelli Scorpions and loved them. Much more confident on hard packed dirt. But a couple of week or so ago I noticed the back sliding out much easier on little bits of sand that we get left over during tropical down pours. One time in the mountains in some serious twisties I was pretty leaned over having fun when the rear slid out badly on a tiny patch of very fine black sand which I overlooked, and I barely managed to stomp my foot down in time (thank goodness was wearing heavy boots that day) and get back on track. It kind of shook me up, so that evening I had a good look at the sipes and was really surprised to see some of them just getting really shallow - this after only around 5,500- 6000 kms! I'm hearing good things about the PR4s, and my local tire dealer is finally getting them in (very little selection here in Bali) so I think I am going to go for the michelins even though they don't seem to have any dirt cred (fire trail stuff not real off-road obviously) at all, unlike the scorpions which were half decent on hard dirt but are just too soft.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Last edited by tropicalbikey; 09-01-2014 at 06:56 AM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosenart View Post
PR4! 10,000-12,000 miles, great rain, sticky.
Did you ever take them on to some hard packed dirt/fire trail for any distance?
Curious as to how they performed there.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode