Non-ABS Fix? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Non-ABS Fix?

My Versys doesn't have ABS (not available in Australia) so I'm looking at other options. has anyone used the TCB SYSTEM which acts like a shock absorber to allow the brake pads to float and/or drag over the rotors natural high and low spots helping to prevent the lockup of your brakes.

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html

I hijacked this from my other post in 'Naked Versys Pics' in the hope of getting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hi sambamboo ,

I did copy paste the article on TCB barking system here in this forum. Anyway I am using the unit on my front brakes and the TCB unit is mounted on the front master pump. The brake feel soft and I am confident with the brake. Having said its not a ABS system and will lock the brakes. I did lock the back brake once and its doest have TCB unit.

Having installed the unit, i am a bit confident with the front brake, but I am still carefull in applying full force in front. Its help in feathering the brake and that all. Please rememeber its not ABS and will not funtion even close to ABS. It just gives a little room before you take control, should the front wheel slid.

You need to understand how it work and adjust your braking style to make full use of it. It does't have sensors so it's all in your fingers.

to get full use of the unit you will need to install two in front and one at the back. I intend to install two in front and leave the back as it is.
As I say it just gives you a little room and a bit of confidence and its NOT ABS.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Aye thanks Fast..i did my research and am aware its not remotely similar to ABS, i was just preferring to get feedback from Versys owners like yourself, as it seemed like a very interesting concept.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Sam.

The concept and the technical aspect of the unit is what made me buy. In theory it does give some flex when there enough pressure in the brake system.
First feel was that it flet like ABS during slow test run and my Mech said the same since he has many year experience with ABS bike. But on high speed you need to be carefull. Since I put on TCB I more confident using the front and more over the V's engine brake is excellent. Just let go the trottle and it slows down .

If you decide on putting the unit you will need to put 2 in front and one at the back.
Hope you like it and safe ride Sam.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Why doesn't one unit on the master cylinder work? I don't see why you would need two on the front.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

well , if you look at the TCB unit it has a small diaphram in it which expand each time you press the brake. I have put 1 unit on the master and this line runs to the 2 disc down on the wheel. whatever play in term of pressure relief i get from the unit is split into two which will reduce the performance of the TCB unit. If I put 2 unit, one on each disc/caliper.and when pressure is applied the two units take up the pressure from the master pump, which is more effective in reducing lock up.

Hope my explanation is clear.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense.

I thought about getting it for my bike but $200+ seems expensive. Too bad they don't give a quantity discount for those with 3 or 4 discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode