Nissin Daytona radial master cylinder - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nissin Daytona radial master cylinder

I just finished installing a Radial Master Cylinder on my Versys. This is a direct OEM replacement. Has brake light sensor and comes with a bracket for mounting the mirror. Here is a link to Shindy (USA Distributor).
http://shindypro.com/catalog/each_q_ptype.key32.html

I got mine from the local dealer. Parts Unlimited carries them. The one I put on was 17-656 Black body, silver lever 19mm piston.

The brakes are dreamy now. The stock MC just wasn't strong enough for my liking. The stock piston is a 5/8". roughly 16mm. This replacement has a 19mm or 3/4" piston. Not sure what the lever to plunger distance is, but the action feels very nice. Back to being able to use 1 finger again

Here is a link to a brembo article on the benefits of radial vs axial MCs.
http://www.oppracing.com/pages/artic...ter_cylinders/

PartsUnlimited #'s: BLK/SLV 1731-0136, BLK/BLK 1731-0137, GLD/SLV 1731-0138 All priced at $209.95

The whole install took about 45min. You'll need some DOT4, and 2 crush washers. The stock brake lines were retained.

Here are some pics of it installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000653 [640].JPG (34.2 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg P1000654 [640].JPG (37.7 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg P1000655 [640].JPG (35.9 KB, 547 views)

Last edited by Phoneman064; 12-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Nice Modification
You would think Kawasaki could source a good quality master cylinder for the same same price as the one they fit.
My bike is an 09 and I see it's a different shape than 07/08 bikes.
I wonder if there is any difference in performance ?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Phoneman, thanks for describing the modification and then explaining why you did it. Sometimes modifications are posted and I'm left wondering, "Why would you buy a different widget when the bike has one already".

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM

Great modification, I may do this over the winter. My main complaint with the V are the brakes, they are better with the SS lines and better pads, but still the initial bite and wooden feeling is terrible, they do stop, but lack feel IMHO.

Last edited by marc11; 12-14-2009 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

<clive> I agree, even if they didn't want to put together a high performance system for the V, at least they could bleed all the air out of the line. The back and the front both had a great deal of air causing a very mushy feel when I first got the bike.

<marc> With steel lines and a 19mm MC, I would think the brakes would feel superbike good on the front I've used this master cylinder before on other bikes and it works very well. Its nice not to have to modify anything. Any 19mm piston based MC should greatly improve these front brakes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Good to hear, going to do some price reasearch and order myself one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I was out on a ride and noticed I could see out of my right side mirror better. The mirror mount for the radial MC is about 1/2" higher. Not really noticeable. I didn't notice it until the mirror was working better
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Phoneman, a worthwhile mod. You said stock brake lines were retained so I should have no problem with the dual (from the master) brake lines I am about to install. What do you think?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What fits the stock MC will also fit the Nissin Daytona radial MC... Dual lines are easier to bleed too. I wonder if the repair manual specified bleed method (right caliper, then the left) can get rid of any air trapped up in the hose between both calipers. Tapping on the hose from the right caliper up while holding the removed left caliper straight above, allowing any air to collect in its upper portion before the normal bleeding procedure should help rid of any air in that hose. I'll see how well it can be done when I replace the brake fluid soon for some Motul synthetic DOT 5.1, although I have no complaints with my stock braking system and front Vesrah pads.

Last edited by invader; 12-16-2009 at 01:44 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

<blipco> The Line mounts to the MC on the bottom. I didn't have any trouble positioning the lever where I wanted it (tilted down maybe 20deg from parallel with the top of the handlebar). The banjo bolt that holds the line to the MC limits how far down you can tilt the lever. It will push against the throttle cables if you tilt the lever down too far.

Whether it is an issue or not depends on where you run your handlebars since the throttle control is key'd to the bar you can't rotate it.

So running two lines from the MC could keep you from orienting the brake lever where you like it since the stacked lines will be taller. It all depends on how far the handlebars are tilted toward the rider.

I would just check and see if the lever has any room to tilt down from its current position. If so, you shouldn't have any trouble when you add the dual lines. And obviously don't forget the longer banjo bolt and extra crush washers

Last edited by Phoneman064; 12-16-2009 at 08:00 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

<invader> The nissin mc has a bleed right above where the line(s) mount. It makes it very easy to let the air out that works it way to the top. You're right the air does tend to settle in the highest point. On the V it is probably hiding out where the left caliper line crosses the front fender. And in about 10 places on the rear brake line run.

There are lots of tricks for bleeding the brakes. "back" bleeding by pressing in the caliper pistons often forces the air to the top. This was very useful on the V with the dual lines.

I've stayed with quality Dot4 so I don't have to worry about mixing and matching fluids. There are several dot 4's that are very High temp.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM

Thanks all, will keep that stuff in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode