Dead Horse - Octane - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dead Horse - Octane

Is it just me or does 91 seem to let the bike smooth out a little better compared to 87. Filled up at a random station today and thought if save a few bucks by going 87 for the first time this year. Seems temperamental with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've always felt my bikes run better with 91 than 87. So thats what i use...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM

Imagination is a powerful thing. I can't tell any difference. I did break down and run mid-grade when regular was 85 - 86. I do run mid-grade in the KLR where I can tell a small difference mostly in extreme heat and 93 in the ZX-10 which is stickered for premium.

Last edited by waltermitty; 07-31-2014 at 07:26 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Imagination is a powerful thing. I can't tell any difference. I did break down and run mid-grade when regular was 85 - 86. I do run mid-grade in the KLR where I can tell a small difference mostly in extreme heat and 93 in the ZX-10 which is stickered for premium.

Well the gas out here in Cali is pure crap. If i don't use Lucas injector cleaner or another product the bike runs crappy..Can't find any non-ethanol gas around here...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Premium 91 pump octane (95 RON) here is available ethanol-free, which yields even more improvement in efficiency and tractability... Octane requirement is reduced at higher altitudes.

http://pure-gas.org/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 PM

I have ran one and only one full tank of 87 octane. My bike ran like poo(comparatively speaking). Nothing but 93 for me from here on out. I have no numbers to back up my claim, but I was on a road trip and had run two full tanks of 93 before switching to 87 and getting right back on the road. I felt like it took slightly more rpms to hold the same cruising speed that I had been going for the rest of the trip, and the throttle seemed less responsive. But, since I have no numbers I can't prove anything. To me though, it is worth the extra $3-$5 to get the premium.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 PM

Yep, 87 will make your clutch slip.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 AM
MTS

Higher octane always yeilds better mpg and power in my bike or car. Always try for ethonal free if possible.

CCW

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM

I have a car, Ford Focus ST, turbo/intercooler, that will make about 10 more hp on premium because it has closed loop fuel injection. On the Versys with open loop you are likely to get no more hp and less miles per gallon because premium is slower burning.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 AM
RMS

The dealership where i purchased my V sells a ethonal free hi octane gas i am not shure of the price, i think it comes in 5 gal cans. and my V likes 93 much better than 87 , less poping and it will not lag going up a hill
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I'll be going back to 91 after I finish this tank out. At highway speeds I don't seem to notice too much of a difference, but when I took back roads home ( 2 hour commute ) in all the stop and go yesterday it really didn't seem happy with the gas.

Insult to injury- I believe there was a skimmer at the gas pump I filled the V up at and found fraudulent charges this morning.

91-93 Octane may also prevent fraud while riding the Versys.

I think that makes sense.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Is it just me or does 91 seem to let the bike smooth out a little better compared to 87. Filled up at a random station today and thought if save a few bucks by going 87 for the first time this year. Seems temperamental with it.
Lack of (or LESS...) alcohol could be the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Premium 91 pump octane (95 RON) here is available ethanol-free, which yields even more improvement in efficiency and tractability... Octane requirement is reduced at higher altitudes.

http://pure-gas.org/
Thanks for that link invader - I'll give Chevron 94 a try here.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pffffft.

We've been running ethanol-laced fuel in this area for 25 or more years.

87 octane in everything.

Well, mostly. I do have one bike with cams and higher compression. It pings on anything under 91.

We have a 13hp OHV genuine "Honda" riding lawnmower that is finishing it's 20th cutting season - on the same crap gas that many of you speak about.

They get Seafoam in the fuel in the winter. A couple tanks laced with Techron in the spring. Scientifically, I cannot prove that this does anything. However, it doesn't appear to be a detriment, either.

Sometimes, it's WHERE you get the fuel. We've all got crappy fuel at one time or another. I like the newer gas stations. The ones with the new tanks and no crap in them yet.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-01-2014 at 02:32 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Same here.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjorrow View Post
I felt like it took slightly more rpms to hold the same cruising speed that I had been going for the rest of the trip, and the throttle seemed less responsive. But, since I have no numbers I can't prove anything.
Not possible. If you are in the same gear, the bike will always turn the exact same rpm to turn the rear wheel at a certain speed no matter what fuel you are burning. Pure mental thinking.

Quote:
The gas has nothing to do with your clutch. Certain oils could since the clutch is bathed in oil, but not gas octane...

I would love to take you guys and your bikes that can notice these huge differences for a blind test. Have you fill up several times with various gas, but not have it marked what you actually put in. My money is on not feeling any difference. If Kawi says the bike only needs regular, than thats all it needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
The dealership where i purchased my V sells a ethonal free hi octane gas i am not shure of the price, i think it comes in 5 gal cans. and my V likes 93 much better than 87 , less poping and it will not lag going up a hill
The dealer sells racing fuel. High octane 100+. Brands such as VP. Used for highly modified engines, and people who think that since it costs more it will make them faster....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 PM

10.6:1 compression ratio, nothing high-compression, turbo-, super-charged, or exotic about this engine.. Kawasaki says regular will do. So regular should do...

Ethanol increases Octane number, and is an excellent fuel, and in most markets, it's 10% at most, so should not be a problem in this modern engine that is designed to use it.

And as I've stated before, there's so little difference in the additive packages between grades or brands, as to be laughably negligible...

Performance problems related to fuel should be investigated further. It is certainly possible to buy stale or contaminated fuel. Hardly the bike's problem, though.

I try to buy fuel from a busy station, so I know the gas hasn't been sitting around. You know what gas sits around longest, even at the busiest station? Premium.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Maybe just bad gas then.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Not possible. If you are in the same gear, the bike will always turn the exact same rpm to turn the rear wheel at a certain speed no matter what fuel you are burning. Pure mental thinking.

The gas has nothing to do with your clutch. Certain oils could since the clutch is bathed in oil, but not gas octane...
The point I was tryin' to make. If you are turning a different rpm at a certain speed, your clutch is slippin'.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:58 PM

The most common contaminant in fuel is water. Water in a storage tank can cause the additive package in gasoline to fail. High-humidity can cause storage problems, as the tank breathes, and condensation drops out in the tank - this can happen in your gas tank, too.
It can be especially problematic in ethanol-containing fuels, as the ethanol in the fuel is hygroscopic, and can become 'wet", and cause performance problems. This is the main contributor to the "my car/bike/lawnmower/2-stroke blender/etc. runs like crap on ethanol gas" phenomenon.

I would *guess* this is your issue, and would *hope* it's nothing more serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode