Timing cover wouldn't come off! Nooooo! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Timing cover wouldn't come off! Nooooo!

It was time to check the valve clearances, so I gathered my tools, set up my workspace (here in July in South Florida, this involves a huge fan under one of those collapsible canopies just outside the garage door), then removed the body panels, the tank (grrr!), airbox, spark plugs and coils, baffle, and the valve cover. Then I went through the process of extricating the valve cover from the bike's frame (grrr! again).

Then I unscrewed the cover over the crank bolt, turned the cams away from each other, measured the gaps, and found that two exhaust valves were tight.

Next step: Peer through the timing hole. And to do that, all I had to do was unscrew the cover over the timing hole.

That's all. Just unscrew that timing cover. No biggie.

No biggie at all.

Except I couldn't do it. I destroyed the slot trying to unscrew that thing. Couldn't get purchase on the edge with pliers.

So I had to put the bike back together without adjusting the valves. I'll order a cover for the timing hole and when I get it, destroy the old one getting it off (taking care not to let aluminum shavings fall into the crankcase).

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm disappointed that I didn't think of putting a Dremel on it. I didn't think about that until later. I blame a fried brain (we're talking 90-degree heat and 90 percent humidity in my garage).

Let the second-guessing commence!

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 07-29-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM

To get those kind of cover off I use a washer that fits the slot tightly then grab it with a Crescent wrench.

Now, you don't need to remove that cover to adjust the valves. Turn the crank 'til the arrows on the cam gears line up. I like to mark the cam chain and both sprockets with a paint mark to keep it lined up when the cam is removed to replace shim. You don't really need to remove the cam just tilt it up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A 25 cent coin in pliers works good. ($0.25)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM

After destroying more that one plastic cover I bought one of these. It works like a champ and I have yet to even scratch one on my KLR or Versys.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 AM

Garage
I marred mine good too, While trying with screwdriver. Then I noticed a bottle opener in the toolbox. It has a nice rounded end that fits in the slot. That worked and bottle opener stayed in toolbox. So seeing this thread, I need to order a replacement cover and that timing plug wrench that Time is showing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
After destroying more that one plastic cover I bought one of these. It works like a champ and I have yet to even scratch one on my KLR or Versys.

Thanks for the photo! Sure pays to have the right tool. Mentally noted for future reference.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Liquid Wrench . . .

I had a similar issue with the smaller one. Some creeping oil helped with that. Odd since the engine flows right by it ALL THE TIME. Broad ended screw driver handled that for me.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

*slap to the forehead* Bottle opener! Of course!

After I messed up the slot, I realized that I should have tried a quarter, although even that might be been too narrow. But a bottle opener -- yeah!

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM

And you can also use the bottle opener to open the super cold bottle of beer over there in Florida!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
And you can also use the bottle opener to open the super cold bottle of beer over there in Florida!
Work first, beer later. You get this backwards you may need MORE work when you're done.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode