Alguard engine guard - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alguard engine guard

Some of you know that I was stranded in the Andes last week after cracking my oil pan. We were trying to get to a village at night, riding two up after Ron's accident, I hit a rock and damaged my oil pan. I'm going to tell it like it is, the Alguard engine guard that is supposed to protect my Versys did just the opposite, it caused the damage. The Alguard mounts to those tabs that are welded to the oil pan, the impact was not that great, the rear tab cracked at the weld and the oil drained out. I was stuck up there for three days until I found a truck that brought me into Moro, Peru. In my opinion the Alguard design is poor, I should have known better than to mount it on my Versys.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DBD34; 12-06-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM

that is interesting and thanks for the heads up.

i figure to check that out thuroughly before i rely on the guard to protect things

maybe it is a poser accesory kind of like chrome on a cruiser.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I always thought of that guard as protection from rocks kicked up from the front tire. The fact it can CAUSE engine damage is a real eye-opener!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Damn, that's ****ty news. I hate hearing about stuff like this, especially when people are on a ride far from home. I just put one of these on late this summer. Has anyone else ever had this type of thing happen?
I put mine on just to deflect gravel/small rocks on dirt roads. I don't plan on taking the bike on anything too gnarley.
Now I'm really curious. You say it was caused by hitting a rock Gary. What size? how fast were you travelling? was it a rock thrown up from the front wheel? or did the bike hang up on one?

Last edited by Trailslapper; 12-06-2009 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM

holy crap! That's good to know. Sorry about your oilpan.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
I'm going to tell it like it is, the Alguard engine guard that is supposed to protect my Versys did just the opposite, it caused the damage. The Alguard mounts to those tabs that are welded to the oil pan, the impact was not that great, the rear tab cracked at the weld and the oil drained out. I was stuck up there for three days until I found a truck that brought me into Moro, Peru. In my opinion the Alguard design is poor, I should have known better than to mount it on my Versys.
That was my concern when I saw the design, I couldn't figure out where he was attaching it to the bike. I specifically asked about that on the other Versys forum. He replied that it was intended only as protection for the header pipes and oil filter and added some pictures that weren't originally available on his website. After I saw the details I decided to pass, I've seen similar "solutions" on other ADV bikes. Unless you have a full cradle frame, it's hard to find good mounting points for an engine guard, so it ends up being attached to the engine block. The result is typically the same, the weak part ends up being the block, and when you hit something hard enough, that's the part that breaks.

IIRC, the Happy-Trails design uses the rear engine mounts, making them more robust. OTOH, it makes oil changes a PITA...

Hopefully you get it repaired quickly and get back on the road soon.

Gustavo

Last edited by Gustavo; 12-06-2009 at 07:10 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 AM

I am surprised that happened as the actual mounting brackets that bolt the guard onto the sump are made from sheet stainless and not that strong, I would have expected them to bend before breaking the sump.
I always reckoned the guard protects the header pipes and oil filter which is VERY vulnerable and in my case the silencer box because I have extended the guard. The silencer itself is a sump guard against hitting rock steps.
My guard did some serious work in Morocco in October, I am going to take it off now and examine everything carefully for signs of damage.
Ted.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
Damn, that's ****ty news. I hate hearing about stuff like this, especially when people are on a ride far from home. I just put one of these on late this summer. Has anyone else ever had this type of thing happen?
I put mine on just to deflect gravel/small rocks on dirt roads. I don't plan on taking the bike on anything too gnarley.
Now I'm really curious. You say it was caused by hitting a rock Gary. What size? how fast were you travelling? was it a rock thrown up from the front wheel? or did the bike hang up on one?
I was nighttime and foggy we were heavily loaded,I hit the rock as I said it wasn't much of an impact.

Gustavo, I had JB Weld (fast drying), it didn't do the job, when I got into Moro I found a product called SOLDIMIX, it worked! I'll find someone to weld it up here in Lima, Ron and I are going to be here awhile, he is going to order V-Strom parts from a dealer in Texas and he has already found a garage for his moto.

--

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by DBD34; 12-07-2009 at 07:39 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
n17

Hello DBD34,

I'm the ALGARD producer and I can't tell you how sorry I am hearing about your problems so far from home. It must be very frustrating for you.
I must point out some facts that should be considerd regarding ALGARD:
-Versys is very versatile but it isn't a Rally (Adventure) bike
-its domain are roads (tarmac or gravel) but not rocks
-ALGARD protects header pipes and oil filter from stones thrown from front wheel
- it's not a skid plate
There was a different version of rear attacment at the beginning but it was alternated due suggestions of buyers (see pictures). If you would have the first version (which I have on my bike for 15000km with no problem whatsoever) there would be no issue with the oil pan.
From now on you will get both versions of rear attachment and you can decide which to use.

Regards
ALGARD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIRST VERSION.jpg (51.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg CURRENT VERSION.jpg (45.3 KB, 332 views)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM

Will those of us that just recently ordered get both types of mounts?

Or will we only get the newer mount?

If so, how can we get the older mount?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n17 View Post
Hello DBD34,

I'm the ALGARD producer and I can't tell you how sorry I am hearing about your problems so far from home. It must be very frustrating for you.
-ALGARD protects header pipes and oil filter from stones thrown from front wheel
- it's not a skid plate
There was a different version of rear attacment at the beginning but it was alternated due suggestions of buyers (see pictures). If you would have the first version (which I have on my bike for 15000km with no problem whatsoever) there would be no issue with the oil pan.
From now on you will get both versions of rear attachment and you can decide which to use.

Regards
ALGARD
I certainly know what a Versys is designed for, I don't ride off road but have traveled thousands of miles on dirt roads. I agree if I had the first rear mount I would not have any damage. Is it possible that you could send me a new (old style) mount here in Peru?

Gary

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
n17

I would be glad to do that (but just for you because you have suffered enough already).
Send me your address.

Best regards
ALGARD
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I would be glad to do that (but just for you because you have suffered enough already).
Send me your address.

Best regards
ALGARD
Well that's good of you. Glad to see there are still respectable business operators in this reality.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Send me your address.

Best regards
ALGARD
That is great, I'll pm you an address tonight

Thanks

Gary

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Well I'm impressed, it almost makes me wish I needed one.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 AM

Algard

Quote:
Hello DBD34,

- it's not a skid plate
Regards
ALGARD
Hi Algard.
I hope you read my earlier report on the forum of my trip to Morocco. I reckon I gave your guard a pretty thorough testing and it came out fine apart from one bolt vibrating loose and dropping off.
Did you offer to anyone else the extra extension to extend the guard further to the rear which you did for me?
Any concerns about overheating with the extension on were eliminated as it was hot enough to soften my perpex screen in the Sahara and the bike was fine. I rate that extension for protecting the silencer box.
I did seriously rocky stuff so maybe I was lucky, or the guy with the failed engine mount was just unlucky.
I think I will order the old mounting brackets though, together with the lost bolt and machined spacer. I will email you.
Regards and thanks very much for a superb product with exemplorary customer service to match.
On the question of customer service, "Ventura Luggage" replaced my racks and mounting brackets which bent badly in Morocco, due to the merciless pounding they received. I didn't expect that I just informed them for their information.
Ted.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Send me your address.

Best regards
ALGARD
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Gary, what do you believe would have happened with no guard. Could the impact have been enough to hole the oil pan or exhaust? Is there a way you can post pics of the impact area on the bottom of the guard?

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 12-23-2009 at 05:10 AM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Has anyone had the Happy Trails guard? I really don't like the way it looks as well but looks don't prevent damage.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Gary, what do you believe would have happened with no guard. Could the impact have been enough to hole the oil pan or exhaust? Is there a way you can post pics of the impact area on the bottom of the guard?
There would have been no damage if I did not have the Alguard on the Versys, that said there would have been no damage if I had the old style Alguard rear mount. I looked at the Alguard and could find no point of impact, it wasn't much of a hit.
The weld on the pan did not hold, I removed the pan yesterday and had it TIG welded on the inside, I think 'll be OK now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode