DIY tire change gone wrong - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY tire change gone wrong

So I was all excited about changing my tires after 8000 miles on my 2012 Versys and sh€£ happend. The rear tire went on with a little struggle but the front tire wouldn't and I subjected it to brute force that ripped it. I was all excited, bought all the tools and a front stand based on recommendations from other members. Now I will just suck it up and take it to cycle gear

Michelin PR4sImageUploadedByMO Free1406415544.211290.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM

That doesn't look salvageable. I usually do all my own tires on three bikes. The PR4 are the first tires I took to a local guy, $10/wheel off the bike. Usually I have less trouble with fronts. If you are having difficulty you ain't doin' it right. The secret is getting the tire into the well in the center of the wheel. Also lotsa lube helps. Don't laugh but I use K-Y.

Last edited by waltermitty; 07-26-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ouch....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That photo looks familiar...same situation convinced me to by more tools.
No-Mar bar & lube plus tire mounting base.
Now my neighbors come over more often.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
That doesn't look salvageable. I usually do all my own tires on three bikes. The PR4 are the first tires I took to a local guy, $10/wheel off the bike. Usually I have less trouble with fronts. If you are having difficulty you ain't doin' it right. The secret is getting the tire into the well in the center of the wheel. Also lotsa lube helps. Don't laugh but I use K-Y.
I just used soap water (evidently NOT enough). After damaging the tire, I remembered all the tips I saw on tire changes like push the tire to center of the rim, use vegetable based lube. Waltermitty : Coincidentally, I thought about KY as a potential too . If the average person takes 1 hour to do a DIY. I take about 4 for lack of skill and dexterity (back pain, knee pain) and I am only 35
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
That photo looks familiar...same situation convinced me to by more tools.
No-Mar bar & lube plus tire mounting base.
Now my neighbors come over more often.
I blame the members of this forum. You make everything look so damn easy . I changed the spark plugs on my own and I thought f*** yeah I am bloody good. Humbling experience.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM

I feel your pain. I changed both of my tires this last winter to PR4's. I did it with manual tools and had proper lube. There is a knack to it. They will come right off when you find the sweet spot of where to hook the spoons and how to keep the tire beads in the well. Once the sweet spot is found, there is not need to force anything.

Full disclosure, the front tire was easier than the rear and it took a while with each. I changed the front tire one evening and the rear the next. There was some cussing and tons of sweating while going round and round trying to find the easy off/on. A couple times, I thought they were not going to budge but persistence won.

I highly suggest rim protectors, I bought two 2 packs.

This is the video I went by:

Here is the lube I used: http://amzn.com/B007GFML72
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I feel your pain. I changed both of my tires this last winter to PR4's. I did it with manual tools and had proper lube. There is a knack to it. They will come right off when you find the sweet spot of where to hook the spoons and how to keep the tire beads in the well. Once the sweet spot is found, there is not need to force anything.

Full disclosure, the front tire was easier than the rear and it took a while with each. I changed the front tire one evening and the rear the next. There was some cussing and tons of sweating while going round and round trying to find the easy off/on. A couple times, I thought they were not going to budge but persistence won.

I highly suggest rim protectors, I bought two 2 packs.

This is the video I went by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZM402U2x4

Here is the lube I used: http://amzn.com/B007GFML72
I should have done the front and rear over two days too Capn! Infact while researching what went wrong and what tire lube to use, I came across your review of 1.7 formula 8 (i think) on amazon and had a face palm moment! I thought I read and saw enough but then realized I did a lot of things incorrectly. I asked my wife if I should order a new tire and try again. She said she would use the tire spoon to do things to me so I just dropped off the rim at cycle gear. I will just look forward to the next set of tire change.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I have used WD40 as a lube (ONCE - worked well!), but generally use proper tire lube I buy from the tire shops, about half a liter at a time.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Versys gods,

I have done it! Cyclegear's tire changing machine was bust (the compressor had a problem they told me). I brought the new front tire that I purchased from them home this evening and mounted it, and balanced it myself! Thank you for all the valuable advice. Very satisfying.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul View Post
Versys gods,

I have done it! Cyclegear's tire changing machine was bust (the compressor had a problem they told me). I brought the new front tire that I purchased from them home this evening and mounted it, and balanced it myself! Thank you for all the valuable advice. Very satisfying.
Congrats!!!!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul View Post
I just used soap water (evidently NOT enough). After damaging the tire, I remembered all the tips I saw on tire changes like push the tire to center of the rim, use vegetable based lube...
Try laying the tire on asphalt in direct sunshine for a few hours on a hot day.. They'll really soften up and with real tire loob usually slip right on. It's amazing how much difference it makes. (ie: - difference between sweating/cussing/throwing tools and getting done quick, feeling like a tire-changing hero and having a beer)

Last edited by ddlewis; 08-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Try laying the tire on asphalt in direct sunshine for a few hours on a hot day....usually slip right on....
ABSOLUTELY GREAT advice, dd!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You have never changed a tire until you change a Dunlop Elite III on a GL1800 Goldwing.

The key is to get good tire lube. Watch the videos. Watch them again.
First, put the tire out on an asphalt driveway for an hour. This subdues even the meanest tires.

If you can't do that, make a little cardboard box and use a hair dryer. Or, stick a 100 watt incandescent bulb in there and come back in six hours.

We have a No-Mar changer. Even with that, it's all about technique.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Will definitely lay it in the sun next time. My over enthusiasm and impulsive behavior sometimes make me counter productive. Early onset of midlife crisis

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Good tire stand, good dedicated lube, good tire irons, bead buddys and this tool.... works great....at least it does on my DS wheels. Havent tried it yet on the bigger bikes but think it should work. I bought every size axle rod they make.

http://www.bajanopinch.com
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Another way to warm the new tires before installation is to park your car in the sun, roll up the windows, and put your new motorcycle tires on the dashboard for an hour or so.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM

My hat is off to the guys who do road side tire changes in remote sweltering jungles/deserts etc.
I guess you get good at it after a while. I still struggle in the comfort of my garage....with cold brewskies close at hand.

Last edited by manybikes; 08-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Check out these two videos on installing tires WITHOUT tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PD48uGl4o

and removing without tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZTSdokVEIs

BUT - I'd sure like to see how he got those zip-ties IN there...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Check out these two videos on installing tires WITHOUT tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PD48uGl4o

and removing without tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZTSdokVEIs

BUT - I'd sure like to see how he got those zip-ties IN there...!
That's impressive !

But those tyrap are 5$ a pop

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode