Help - Headlight bulb replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help - Headlight bulb replacement

My lowbeam recently died. I bought a PIAA H7 to replace it. I looked at the manual which is useless. All it talks about it is adjusting the beams. Moving on...

I took off both fairings. I removed the 4 screws for the black frame that goes around the headlight. I took off the 4 nuts that held the headlight on to the bike and disconnected the wire terminals and removed the dust cover and the retention bracket.

Here is my problem, I was trying to not lose screws/break stuff etc so I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the connector for the two bulbs. I don't know if the tab is supposed to face the left or the right. (see pics below)
I looked that the bulb, the housing, everything. There is no indicator of which is positive vs negative. I assumed they can work either way. I plug both lights back in and nothing works. Yup...now my high beam doesn't work either. I switched the two connectors so the tab was now facing the opposite direction and still neither bulb works. I just paid $60 for the bulb and I'm hoping I don't need 2 fresh bulbs. I have a bad feeling that I just plugged two bulbs in the wrong way and fried them both. To make matters worse, I'm still not even sure which way I plugged them in I've tried switching things so many times now.

Small details: I did not disconnect the battery to do this. I did wear gloves and handle the new bulb accordingly. I did use some dielectric grease.

What gives? Thoughts? I hate to limp in to the dealership with my tail between my legs b/c I'm too dumb to change a light bulb. Any help is appreciated. My Versys is a 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (37.3 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (33.4 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (31.6 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (45.4 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (43.7 KB, 448 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

This is the current condition of my V

...all this to change a bulb.

I have referenced the service manual (section 16-57) which goes over the bulb replacement. The picture shows the tabs as facing to the right. I have tried this with both bulbs not working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (38.6 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i changed mine I just put them in and plugged them up didn't matter about positive or negative tabs...Sounds like the bulbs were **** to begin with. Put the one good bulb back in and see if it works..

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

My high beam was working fine and bulb wise it was untouched. I disconnected it from the house to remove the housing but that's it. It should have worked when it was put back in. Scratching my head trying to figure out why it isn't. I'm sure I'm overlooking something very simple here.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 AM

Garage
Might seem obvious but did you start the engine?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I did not start the engine. In the past, my lights come on as soon as I turn the key to the on position. I'm pretty sure of that at least. I'm kind of second guessing that now. I will start it in the AM and let you know.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
I did not start the engine. In the past, my lights come on as soon as I turn the key to the on position. I'm pretty sure of that at least. I'm kind of second guessing that now. I will start it in the AM and let you know.

If i remember my headlights only came on with the engine started. The little side lights came on with the ignition switched on...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 AM

Garage
My 2012 lights don't come on until the engine is started maybe someone with a 2009 could comment?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 AM

My '08 headlamp only comes on after the engine is running.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Garage
Jmart, the H7 incidecent bulbs do not matter + or - side. It works either way. As long as current flows those bulbs light up. The only time to worry about that is if you change to HID or LED bulbs.

The versys does not allow the headlight on untill the engine is started. Saves the juice for starter. However the headlight stays on after the engine is shut off.

So two ways to test. Start bike and see. Or Take bulb, use jumpers connect to battery.

Wow $60 for a bulb, I have bee thinking of LED, cyclops adventure sports has them for $50.
ADVrider talks about them here
Still Thinking...

Good Luck , Call me if needed
Mike

Last edited by mikej; 07-20-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Success

I can't believe I didn't try turning on the ignition. I just turned the bike on and what do ya know....the lights work. When I first started riding this bike I was always the guy that would leave his key on when everyone pulled over to take a break. Someone would always say, dude....your lights are on/your bike is on. I've since broken that habit that that was my logic here. The bike was running but the lights were on. Man...to think I have just spent hours stressing over this. Thank you all for the help and input. Time for some reassembly. Thanks again.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If i remember my headlights only came on with the engine started. The little side lights came on with the ignition switched on...
I WAS gonna say that Joe's right, but I see that I no longer need to....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I WAS gonna say that Joe's right.....

Ah let me hold that feeling......I don't hear that often.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode