What GPS should I get - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What GPS should I get

I'm finally going to break down and get a GPS and was wondering what you guys are using. I would love to have it for some of the longer backroad trips I do, but I am also doing alot more NY driving for work which involves a large lowboy. Thanks for the input I just saw the tom-tom XL330S on sale for 100 beans which sounds like a great price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:44 PM

There's a lot of discussion in prior threads, both in terms of mounting location and selection.

Two waterproof GPSs are the Garmin Nuvi 500 series and the Garmin Zumo 450/550.

Tony
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tony, I hate to repeat a thread I didn't go back far enough. I am on a pretty strict budget with christmas here. That tom-tom XL330S seems like a good deal, it's only 100 at bestbuy versys 200+ for others

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 PM

As far as I know there are only three motorcycle specific GPS available:

TOM-TOM Rider
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo 660

A mounting kit is included. They are waterproof up to IPX7

There are other options:

The Garmin Nuvi 500 and 550 are waterproof and can be fitted to a motorcycle if you purchase a mounting kit and a power supply

I an using a Magellan Roadmate 2500 Crossover. It is waterproof to IPX4 lvl and I installed 12V marine plug on my V.

There are other waterproof GPS like the Lowrance XOG and a few others like older Garmin models.

Finally you can also use an Hand held GPS.

I would not recommend a non-waterproof GPS for a motorcycle.

I purchased my Magellan on E-Bay and purchased the motowerk GPS bracket. I am very pleased with it. Works fine with my regular riding gloves but not with my cold weather riding gloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magellan.JPG (382.0 KB, 278 views)

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Putting in waypoints

I've never felt the need for a gps for riding around here, but might consider one if I head west next year. I've had several over the years that I've used for backpacking and off-trail bushwhacking. The last one was the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. It's bombproof and easy to use. One thing that I really like about it is the ease of establishing waypoints for upcoming trips.
I'm currently trying out a Garmin Nuvi 1300 that my wife wants to put in her Rav. I'm disappointed in its performance and can't see how it would be of much use for the sort of riding or driving that I do. For instance, it constantly tries to guide me through parking lots rather than sticking to actual roads. I dislike riding or driving interstates and if given a choice, nearly always take the backroads instead. The Nuvi just doesn't jive with my knowledge of local roads. When driving home tonight from Asheville, it tried to direct us through a part of town that I wouldn't drive in broad daylight. For my purposes, I prefer to be able to put in my own route in advance and then just have the device warn me of upcoming turns and the distance between waypoints. It's easy with the Etrex, but so far, I haven't figured out how to put waypoints into the Nuvi, or even if it's possible. Detail is lacking too - it doesn't show a lot of roads, including Hwy. 21 on Fripp Island where we're spending part of this week.
I have the MapSource Trip and Waypoint software from Garmin that I use in my Etrex and thought that I'd be able to use it to load waypoints into the Nuvi. It seemed to be working, but the waypoints don't show up. I know that the motorcycle specific gps lets the rider enter waypoints in advance, but I can't see spending that much money on something that would get very limited use in our travels.
OK, here's the question - do y'all just let the gps do the guidework, or have you figured out how to plot a route in advance? My Etrex doesn't have the large display of the Nuvi, but as is, I like it a lot better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM

If you have an iphone, or a phone with google mapping you can mount with a ram mount and just use your phone as a multitasker
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 AM

if you buy a nuvi or zumo you also get Garmins Mapsource planning/routing software which works prety well in my experience. mis routings are genrally down to an improperly configured set of options, and or not following the instructions correctly

bearing in mid that theres only two real map offerings out there, and Im nto certain if TomTom and garmin share the same mapset or not.

gpscity.com have a Nuvi 1200 on sale at presetn at $110 US

you could make an auto GPS waterproof using an otter box, or even one of those waterproof puches sold for sailing or skiing....

what ever device you do buy make certain it can be supplied with pwer easily enough.. some devices use awkward connectors which are vulnerable to damage. the Sumo is built like a brick ****house, is designed to be operated with gloves and in my books is ideal.. its worth ponying up and getting the right device first time.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
I'll be using my car gps, a Tomtom 910 GO, to begin with; got a RAM mount for it.

Of course it's not waterproof, so may need to put it in my tankbag if and when I would get in rainy weather (preferably not though ). So this may change my mind to buy a specific motorcycle gps after all.

Healdem touches the second argument to consider buying another gps. My tomtom 910 GO gets its power through their standard cradle-connector in the car or on my desk, so that means I won't be able to power it when driving on my motorcycle. Now, I do get 6 hours of operational life out of it so that should cover most day-rides (it also doesn't need to be on continuously, to prolong battery life even further), but I must then find every evening an electrical outlet to plug the cradle in so I can recharge the gps. That may not prove to be practical in the end.

So, my 2 cents on your situation:
- As I already have a gps that I'm very satisfied with, I'll first do only minimal spending (the RAM set is quite cheap) to use it on my motorcycle and I'll evaluate later.
- If I would not have a gps at this moment, I do believe it is indeed best to save up a bit more money and buy an actual waterproof gps with easy and sturdy power connector that can be used out of the box on a motorcycle (and will of course be fine in a car as well).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM

A number of people have installed a marine 12V outlet on their dash.

Tony
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 PM

First find your price range, generally the more expensive the gps the better... well at least the more features etc.
so find your price range, narrow it down to two or three in that range that seem good, check out reviews and ask us specifics... you'll find the one best for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Hi Chrisb,

just my two cents. I use a Magellan RoadMate 1412. I know it's not for outdoor use, but it works very well. It is easy to use and the windshield holder that comes with it, works perfect on the Versys. See my pictures on this site. All I had to do is the installation of a 12V outlet. Not a big thing. I mounted it on the front (see pictures) with velcro sticky stuff, so it can easily be taken off if needed. I put a double side strip of velcro on the back of my RoadMate and used a stretch tie with velcro to stick it around the windshield holder and attache on end to the RoadMate, one end to the dash on the Versys. That way, if the holder ever got loose or the RoadMate would pop out of the holder it can't go to far or fall off. Very simple and very effective. If need be, you can take a ziploc sandwich bag and use it over the gps in case of rain. I use that on my survey instrument as well and it works like a charm. My motto is KISS and I am also on a limited budget.

If you want more info, e-mail me.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

Hi again,

just another note. This installation would also work with the TomTom you like. I am not sure if the TomTom's windshield holder works as good on the V though. I have a Magellan Triton (outdoor) GPS with a RAM mount windshield holder and that thing won't stick to the Versys windshield (too curved for the suction cup). Maybe RAM makes a holder for your TomTom unit, then all you would need to buy is the motorcycle mount from them as well and off you go. I do think they have a universal holder for GPS units as well, if not for the TomTom.

Cheers

Chris
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 PM

It's been touched upon before, but I just wanted to make it clear

A GPS can be used to take you from A to B, but there are 2 ways for that:
1. its way
2. your way - units that allow you to use software for routes/tracks, so you can upload the exact roads you want to travel.

It's up to you which way you go... If the budget is in the ~$100, you won't find many options, if any, for a route/track capable GPS.

Personally I wouldn't put waterproofness high on the list, but I would put routes because if riding I'd rather not do slab...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM

My Zumo 550 does a good job of keeping me off the slab if I tell it to, but it has a problem with roads that are part paved and part not. As Allriding says they can pick some crazy routes, so it is best to have one that comes with software that will let you create the route.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allriding View Post
It's been touched upon before, but I just wanted to make it clear

A GPS can be used to take you from A to B, but there are 2 ways for that:
1. its way
2. your way - units that allow you to use software for routes/tracks, so you can upload the exact roads you want to travel.

It's up to you which way you go... If the budget is in the ~$100, you won't find many options, if any, for a route/track capable GPS.

Personally I wouldn't put waterproofness high on the list, but I would put routes because if riding I'd rather not do slab...
My feelings exactly - I took the Nuvi 1300 back today and swapped it for a 1490T. It'll go into my wife's car and loading the waypoints using the Garmin software was fairly easy. It's a good unit for a car, but I wouldn't trust it for bike use. So far, a gps for the bike is waaaay down on my list of farkles. I've got to admit though, that the points of interest feature is a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be.
Something I noticed both with the 1300 and the 1490T is that if you come on a turn with a parking lot on the corner of the turn, the gps will often try to send you through the parking lot. I guess it's because so many private businesses give names to their driveways and the softward can't recognize the difference.
I'm curious to see how the wife likes the Nuvi. She's got a great sense of direction, but wanted the backup when taking back roads towards the coast. I'm planning to just head south, taking whatever roads look interesting when I get to them. I've discovered some amazing places that way and so long as you know a few surrounding highways within 50 miles or so, you'll never get lost.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!

Last edited by VeeWNC; 11-25-2009 at 10:23 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Ahh... Gentleman,

here is were the Magellan RoadMate comes in. With it, you can plan multiple stops i.e. waypoints and you can also tell it to avoid roads by looking at the computed route and selecting the segments you don't like and it will recalculate the route based on those parameters. That's why I choose the Magellan over the Garmin. It's not the same as with the planning software, but it does work just the same and it works well .

Chris
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys especially versys chris, just what I wanted to hear. I think I will go tomorrow and get the tomtom 340 as my budget is small and sales are good this weekend. It seems like it has some of the same features as the magellan. I hope everyone had a great holiday
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys Chris View Post
Ahh... Gentleman,

here is were the Magellan RoadMate comes in. With it, you can plan multiple stops i.e. waypoints and you can also tell it to avoid roads by looking at the computed route and selecting the segments you don't like and it will recalculate the route based on those parameters. That's why I choose the Magellan over the Garmin. It's not the same as with the planning software, but it does work just the same and it works well .

Chris
Most Garmins will do that too, specifically the Zumo series and the 27xx series. Not to mention nearly all the older ones, such as the Streetpilot and Quest.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Speedys GPS Mount

I use a Speedys GPS mount and it is the absolute best mount out there. It is out of the way, well thought out and very sturdy... www.motowerk.com

No I am not Speedy. I looked at all kinds of mounts before deciding on this one. You will be pleased.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM

I have the motorcycle specific Garmin Nuvi 500. I got it at REI. Love it.
There is always the option that has been mentioned in another thread, to get a Verizon Droid which vomes with Google's turn by turn GPS. Had I realized how good the GPS on the Droid was...I might not have bought the Nuvi 500 (which I bought a month b4 the Droid.)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode