funny sou d - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
funny sou d

My versys now has 1800 miles on it and I'm just starting to notice almost like a gingleing keys sound when shift. Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else run into this sound? I've never been on another versys and the transmission just seems really klunky in like the first three gears. Is that normal too? I'd like to have some sort of idea before I take it in and spend a fortune getting it looked at. Thanks as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM

That is all they will do if you take it in, look at it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 AM

There's certainly nothing wrong with taking the bike in to your dealer and getting some feedback. They may have seen/heard it before, and have some insight as to the cause. Should not cost a "fortune' for that, my local dealers would do that for free, yours may not. Can't say.

My only suggestion would be to have a good look at the chain. Clean and lube it,and adjust the tension. Get the bike up on a stand and rotate the rear wheel, see if there's any chain binding or tightness, or hear any odd sounds when you rotate the rear wheel. Might just be the chain touching the swingarm every now and then...

As for the clunky gearshifting and clunky gearbox in general, some have it, some seem not to. The gearshift performance of my 2012 is just fine, better/smoother that some other bikes I've owned. I'm fine with how mine behaves. It does 'clunk' into first gear from neutral. This apparently is a function of the positive neutral finder, or whatever it is that Kawasaki calls it.
It appears that some have had some luck with smoothing out the gearshifting by changing oils. A few threads on that. But with only 1800 miles on it, it's barely broken in - give it some time.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by visitor zero; 06-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 PM

My '09 can be very clunky in the 1st 3 gears or silky smooth. It totally depends on my technique. There seems to be a sweet spot if I am short shifting under negligible acceleration @3150 rpm. There is another around 7850rpm for the more spirited rides. This may have nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with my throttle input and seat of the pants accelerometer corindination. I recently switched from dino oil to synthetic and noticed no change. I keep the chain clean and lightly lubed.

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
funny sound when shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode