High pitch humming - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
High pitch humming

I was on the highway and noticed a high pitch humming almost a whistle coming from my tires. They are the stock dunlops, and I only get the sound between 52 and 62 mph. Any other speed they are silent. I checked and rechecked my pressure but it looks good. Any chance anyone has had this issue, or knows what it could be? It is not motor related and sounds like its coming from up front. I am thinking maybe a bearing?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Ian - when I rode a KLR on Kenda K270 tires, after the center of the rear tread 'flattened-out', it made the most God-awful "howling" sound!

Maybe something like that...?

When it's doing it, have you tried swerving back-and-forth a bit to see if the sound goes away momentarily?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

No but I will try that once it dries out around here. Good idea. It seems to have gotten worse over time.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 AM

Possibly the sound of the front sprocket? I recently put a new set of sprockets on, not OEM. The place I bought them from said that all sprockets sound different. My whine from the sprockets doesn't go away above any particular speeds though. just tossing out another possibility, but may be way off course...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Stock windscreem and mirrors? No hand guards? What mileage are you at?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

1500 miles. Shes still new

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I was on the highway and noticed a high pitch humming almost a whistle coming from my tires. They are the stock dunlops, and I only get the sound between 52 and 62 mph. Any other speed they are silent. I checked and rechecked my pressure but it looks good. Any chance anyone has had this issue, or knows what it could be? It is not motor related and sounds like its coming from up front. I am thinking maybe a bearing?
Recently, I've been having a similar issue... at highway speeds 60-70 mph it comes and goes, mostly comes.... then when it goes and I ease up on the throttle, I hear it again. At lower speeds, below 60, all I hear is the engine's normal humming.

I have handguards and givi windscreen which I check before each ride and there's no play in either. I do have a radiator guard which I have yet to check.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I went for a ride and it is tire/axel related but I am leaning toward tires. On the highway I did a little "jump" off my seat changing the weight on the bike so as I was taking weight off the bike it went away and when I came back down it got a lower pitch but went back to the "normal" noise (think like a jeep with mud tires kinda hum). I am guessing its just the way the tires are wearing (most of mile miles are highway miles). I also tried what eddie suggested, and it seemed to work a little, but swerving down the highway was a little sketchy, so I was just switched lanes a little harder than normal, and I couldn't notice the sound then as much. Thanks for the input though. This is why I like the forum so much.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drill six holes in the muffler and you won't notice it as much.

I'm thinking tire noise. A little low on air pressure and they'll develop odd wear patterns and then they "sing"

One of our bikes does that, no matter what the pressure. Stupid Michelins on a Harley Street Bob. I hate those tires.

Run your hand over the tires, around the circumference back and forth and see if you feel any feathering of the tread. If you have any at all, then they'll make noise.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I also tried what eddie suggested, and it seemed to work a little, but swerving down the highway was a little sketchy, so I was just switched lanes a little harder than normal, and I couldn't notice the sound then as much. Thanks for the input though. This is why I like the forum so much.
Ian - I apologize for NOT adding... swerve a few times, and if the noise stops when you're "swerved" then it's probably your flattened tire-center....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM

You should hear my KLR with Michelin T63 knobbies at speed (well such speed as a KLR will do anyway) The thing HOWLS like mad.

Almost all tires will make noise. The Dunlops, The PR2 I have on now and my car, on Goodyears. Doesn't mean there's anything "Wrong". When I drive the car to work there is a stretch of road that makes a strange "Hissing" noise in the car. Didn't get it until I mount the Goodyears.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Either way, switching to better tires will be a great improvement overall.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I won't switch the tires for a while. Too many other things I would rather have first and the tires still work. Not to mention I am currently broke due to buying my first home. So motorcycle upgrades got put on the back burner.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I won't switch the tires for a while. Too many other things I would rather have first and the tires still work. Not to mention I am currently broke due to buying my first home. So motorcycle upgrades got put on the back burner.

When you do you'll find how badly the Versys was handicapped by the stock tires. I have never owned a bike so poorly served by the tires it shipped with.

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM

Can you make out the tune? You bike might be haunted by Tiny Tim.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Can you make out the tune? You bike might be haunted by Tiny Tim.
Hope not, all he could do then is Burn, Bash and Bury. And he'd need a priest on hand as well!

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I can't hear anything at those speeds with my helmet and ear plugs in. Can't even hear my own horn.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I can't hear anything at those speeds with my helmet and ear plugs in. Can't even hear my own horn.
Funny I can barely hear the factory horn without ear plugs and the motor off. Damn thing's unless.

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Funny I can barely hear the factory horn without ear plugs and the motor off. Damn thing's unless.
So-o-o, BOTH of you hurry down to Harbor Freight and buy a WOLO "Bad Boy" horn, or a Stebel Nautilus.

THEN you'll NEED ear-plugs!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
So-o-o, BOTH of you hurry down to Harbor Freight and buy a WOLO "Bad Boy" horn, or a Stebel Nautilus.

THEN you'll NEED ear-plugs!

I bought a Stebel for the KLR...I think I've used it maybe once in 5 years.

But I have one for the Versys on the shelf to mount when I get around to it.

And yes they are loud...never test one in the garage trust me on that....ears rang for about 1/2 an hour.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode