QUICK help needed!! Exhaust mid pipe - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
QUICK help needed!! Exhaust mid pipe

I got a new exhaust off ebay (generic) just to try something out. The mid pipe that came with it has 2 challenges:
1- It has an oxygen sensor bung and my 2011 does NOT have an oxygen sensor so I will need to plug it. Noth that much of a big deal as I found an oil drain plug that fits perfectly.
2- The BIG ONE the diameter of the mid pipe where it attaches to the headpipe is the exact same size as the headpipe! So there is no way it will fit properly!! What should I do? And PLEASE don't tell me to buy a better exhaust
Also to make matters worse the spacer/gasket thingy tore up when I removed my stock brick exhaust....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Jeff,

Does generic mean it's not Versys specific? Or does it mean it's a no-name product?

The gasket thingie basically heat welds itself to the pipes so you'll certainly need a new one. I can't recall ever hearing of one being salvaged (without leaking grasses).

Sorry I can't offer any miracles regarding the same diameter exhaust pipe-muffler pipe problem. One has to slip into the other more than an inch -including the gasket - and I can't think of a sensible way to make that happen without cutting and welding and, even then, it may not result in an acceptable solution.

Can you return it without losing your shirt?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here is the pic of the extra gasket I purchased from Delkevic USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.2 KB, 83 views)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Jeff,

Does generic mean it's not Versys specific? Or does it mean it's a no-name product?

The gasket thingie basically heat welds itself to the pipes so you'll certainly need a new one. I can't recall ever hearing of one being salvaged (without leaking grasses).

Sorry I can't offer any miracles regarding the same diameter exhaust pipe-muffler pipe problem. One has to slip into the other more than an inch -including the gasket - and I can't think of a sensible way to make that happen without cutting and welding and, even then, it may not result in an acceptable solution.

Can you return it without losing your shirt?
It was a generic brand supposed to be Versys specific.....

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Is your midpipe the same diameter on both ends? What brand is it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is your midpipe the same diameter on both ends? What brand is it?
No it is not the same diameter and the other side fits in the slip-on and is heald on with springs so there is no way I can install it backwards. As stated, it is a generic brand pipe...I guess I got what I paid for

This is it: (Don't laugh too hard

This is the mounting kit....

Link to the auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261356140212...84.m1439.l2649

2011 ADVersys

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 06-24-2014 at 11:37 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 PM

You should be able to take the pipe to a muffler shop and have it expanded to fit over your mid pipe.
You can buy exhaust expander tools pretty cheap at the local auto parts store and do it yourself as well.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 PM

I've seen that pipe before. It's made by Cracker Jack and comes with a prize.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I've seen that pipe before. It's made by Cracker Jack and comes with a prize.
Don't rub it in too much The ONLY good that has come from this so far is I got a FULL REFUND, shipping included from the seller AND they told me I do NOT have to return the item. SO nothing lost, just the headache of trying to make it work.

2011 ADVersys

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 AM
MTS

Expand or couple, hook it up and give us a report!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 AM

Holy cow! You got it for free! That is one nice system though. Just have a muffler shop expand it just enough to fit over itself, if it's the exact same outer diameter as the header collector outlet. Just make sure it'll be long enough for when it's slipped in and assembled.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I just went to O'Reillys and borrowed an expander........SUCCESS! I'll take some pics and report back when she is running.

2011 ADVersys

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff - you are one LUCKY guy! How was D2D? Pics...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - you are one LUCKY guy! How was D2D? Pics...?
Eddie, D2D was quite a run this year. The TOW highway was 4-6" of slimy MUCK from before Chicken most of the way to Dawson minus a couple stretches of welcome crushed rock construction near Boundary... Around 6 riders went down either coming or going. Thankfully no major injuries. Here is Jim's little write up with some pics. And one UNHAPPY but unhurt motorhome driver
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988549

Here is some more from my facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.reichel.1

I'll get around to doing a trip report soon.

2011 ADVersys

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Jeff glad you got it to fit i got mine to fit without doing that. BTW it looked good and sounded good seems like i made a mod to the baffle though but like i said in the pm a drunk driver hit me @ 65mph head-on about 11 months ago so might have forgot some details! I wish i still had the close-up pics.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff - thanks for that ADV link - good read. LUCKY RV driver...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode